The Atonement Covers All Pain

This morning I thought I would go a little off track from my normal scripture reading and found this talk from the last conference. Its interesting, because he basically says that the atonement covers all pain, not just the pain of sin.

Source: Link

"Much of our suffering is not necessarily our fault. Unexpected events, contradicting or disappointing circumstances, interrupting illness, and even death surround us and penetrate our mortal experience. Additionally, we may suffer afflictions because of the actions of others. Lehi noted that Jacob had “suffered … much sorrow, because of the rudeness of [his] brethren.” Opposition is part of Heavenly Father’s plan of happiness. We all encounter enough to bring us to an awareness of our Father’s love and of our need for the Savior’s help.

The Savior is not a silent observer. He Himself knows personally and infinitely the pain we face. “He suffereth the pains of all men, yea, the pains of every living creature, both men, women, and children.”

“Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.”

Sometimes in the depth of pain, we are tempted to ask, “Is there no balm in Gilead; is there no physician there?” I testify the answer is yes, there is a physician. The Atonement of Jesus Christ covers all these conditions and purposes of mortality."

I guess I've only thought of Christ as a healer of sin or curing desease. But not specifically the emotional pains we feel from the actions of others. So, I guess we just ask for support when we need it, and somehow our burdens become lighter, our patience stronger, and chaos becomes peacefully manageable.

"As Elder Dallin H. Oaks has taught: “Healing blessings come in many ways, each suited to our individual needs, as known to Him who loves us best. Sometimes a ‘healing’ cures our illness or lifts our burden. But sometimes we are ‘healed’ by being given strength or understanding or patience to bear the burdens placed upon us.” All that will come may be “clasped in the arms of Jesus.” All souls can be healed by His power. All pain can be soothed. In Him, we can “find rest unto [our] souls.”Our mortal circumstances may not immediately change, but our pain, worry, suffering, and fear can be swallowed up in His peace and healing balm."

Wow, I feel kind of silly for not knowing this, at least in a specific way. But it makes sense.

Your thoughts?

Your thoughts?

Alma 7:11-12, I think, is pretty clear respecting the all-encompassing nature of the Atonement, including the fact that it covers pain not arising from sin. My struggle is that, in my humanness, I sometimes wonder if the whole burden hasn't been left for me. (The "Footprints in the Sand" story, in which a man wonders why he had been left to travel alone through the most difficult parts of his journey upon seeing only one set of footprints, to be told that it was at those times the Savior was carrying him, may be hackneyed and cliched; it's also true.) Atonement notwithstanding, sometimes we're asked to carry that portion of our non-sin burdens which is sufficient to allow us to learn mortality's needed lessons.

[Alma 7:11-12, emphasis mine] 11 And he shall go forth, suffering pains and afflictions and temptations of every kind; and this that the word might be fulfilled which saith he will take upon him the pains and the sicknesses of his people.

12 And he will take upon him ... their infirmities, that his bowels may be filled with mercy, according to the flesh, that he may know according to the flesh how to succor his people according to their infirmities.

Edited by Kenngo1969