Seriously No Politics ×

Polygamy Joke In Sacrament Meeting...

Sacrament Meeting, July 24 ("Pioneer Day")

Youth Speaker is asked to speak on a pioneer related subject. He stands at the podium:

Good morning brothers and sisters. My talk today is on how the pioneers' example helps me have faith in Jesus Christ.

Do you know what the pioneer secret to a happy marriage was?

Nametags.

(Silence. I had no idea what he was talking about either. So he has to explain it....)

Did that go over your heads? It's because of all the wives they had.

(Mercy chuckle. Talk continues...)

:blink:

Edited by cinepro

Youth Speaker is asked to speak on a pioneer related subject. He stands at the podium:

(Silence. I had no idea what he was talking about either. So he has to explain it....)

Hadn't heard that joke before. Funny. :D

super inappropriate. It's always a good idea for parents to read through their children's talks. :blink:

What was inappropriate about it?

LOL! The whole thing was funnier than the joke. I would have laughed at that.

Edited by elguanteloko

There are a number of things in the world that are funny but maybe inappropriate for Sacrament meeting. Polygamy is a side issue as it relates to doctrine (though it looms large in the minds of anti-Mormons), it was a small part of our history in a small part of our population, which was heavily penalized by a powerful government. In other words, in relation to our doctrine, its small...

The joke is funny, but not necessarily appropriate for sacrament.

There are a number of things in the world that are funny but maybe inappropriate for Sacrament meeting. Polygamy is a side issue as it relates to doctrine (though it looms large in the minds of anti-Mormons), it was a small part of our history in a small part of our population, which was heavily penalized by a powerful government. In other words, in relation to our doctrine, its small...

For those who wondered why I thought it was inappropriate, Jeff answered it with this comment.

I think we forget what Sacrament meeting is for. It should be a sacred meeting where we come together to take the Sacrament, renew our covenants and are able to feel the spirit and be taught. Some speakers will use humor and it can be fine, but too often it is not--it's definitely not if it drives the spirit away.

I assume the talk was supposed to be about our pioneer heritage and the sacrifices of those who settled the Salt Lake Valley. IMO, the joke was not appropriate to the topic or the setting.

I'm sorry if some felt I was harsh in my assessment, but I think our Sacrament meetings should be a place where the spirit is able to witness to the congregation the truthfulness of gospel principles.

Parents can also help their children learn how to prepare a talk that is appropriate for Sacrament meeting by teaching them of its purpose and sacred nature.

I think we forget what Sacrament meeting is for. It should be a sacred meeting where we come together to take the Sacrament, renew our covenants and are able to feel the spirit and be taught. Some speakers will use humor and it can be fine, but too often it is not--it's definitely not if it drives the spirit away.

My personal motto: Don't say anything J. Golden Kimball wouldn't say. :diablo:

Two weeks ago when I spoke in Church, I mentioned that I, like Terryl Givens, have a tremendous capacity for doubt and consider it a spiritual gift. The ward thought that was funny...I didn't. I also quoted Joanna Brooks, but that's another story all together. :good:

Generally speaking, i think we need to do away with the cultural idea that you have to start your talk with something funny.

I can think of quite a few examples in the last two years where someone started a talk with something like "I know it's standard to begin your talk with a joke, so..." and then went on to tell the equivilant of a 'why did the chicken cross the road' joke and we all had to mercy laugh while feeling a bit awkward.

I know people do that because of nerves, and i can understand that. Also, there's nothing wrong with sincerely beginning your talk with something that also happens to be humerous, in my opinion. But saying something just because you want to be funny doesn't ever seem to work in sacrament meeting. A sacrament talk isn't stand up comedy and it becomes uncomfortable pretty fast when someone tries to go that route.

Starting the talk with something funny is a basic attempt at putting the audience at ease and making them more receptive and open to the message. As I say it is "basic". There are better approaches, but these are not always discussed or taught.