Seriously No Politics ×

First Temple With Baptisms For The Dead

Duncan

I have read that Nauvoo was the first Temple to have baptisms for the dead yet I also read that the St. George Temple was the first. Anyone know the inside scoop? Also what was the first Temple to have endowments for the deceased? any clues?

I have read that Nauvoo was the first Temple to have baptisms for the dead yet I also read that the St. George Temple was the first. Anyone know the inside scoop? Also what was the first Temple to have endowments for the deceased? any clues?

Baptisms for the Dead were done in the Mississippi River at Nauvoo, but I don't think they were ever done in the Temple.

I suspect at that point it never occurred to anyone that there was anything in the nature of a proxy ordinance that required an actual Temple.

From the Encyclopedia of Mormonism:

The main feature [in the original Nauvoo Temple] at the basement level was a large white limestone laver resting on the backs and shoulders of twelve life-sized stone oxen. This was the baptismal font to be used particularly for the ordinance of baptism for the dead. The basement floor was paved with brick....Occasional ceremonial use took place during construction, especially baptisms for the dead. Even though not fully completed, the temple was filled to capacity by members coming for ordinances during the months just prior to the exodus-ordinances on behalf both of the living and the dead.

According to LDS historian Susan Easton Black, during the Battle of Nauvoo in September 1846, the baptistry was used by mobsters as a urinal.

Baptisms for the Dead were done in the Mississippi River at Nauvoo, but I don't think they were ever done in the Temple.

I suspect at that point it never occurred to anyone that there was anything in the nature of a proxy ordinance that required an actual Temple.

They certainly were done in the temple. In fact, a temporary font was created in the basement of the still-under-construction temple in order for this to be done during Joseph's lifetime, late 1841-1842.

They certainly were done in the temple. In fact, a temporary font was created in the basement of the still-under-construction temple in order for this to be done during Joseph's lifetime, late 1841-1842.

Interesting. I guess that makes sense. Did they also do regular baptisms there too?

Edited by cinepro

I checked with a few Mormon friends that used to live in St. George and they told me that they remember baptisms for the dead as far back as the fifties or even before and a few of them did the baptisms in the late 50's and early 60's ... Don 't know if that helps. When was this Temple build?

I checked with a few Mormon friends that used to live in St. George and they told me that they remember baptisms for the dead as far back as the fifties or even before and a few of them did the baptisms in the late 50's and early 60's ... Don 't know if that helps. When was this Temple build?

Baptisms for the dead have been done since the early 1840's and I was wondering what Temple was the first one to baptisms for the dead

This was after a sermon by Joseph, and I believe he put a stop to it.

Eventually. But Joseph did initially lead them in being done in the Mississippi.

Correct; from what I understand after hearing the sermon, people just went down to the River and started doing so (Baptisms for “their” dead) on their own. When Joseph got word he stopped it, noting that all things should be done in proper order and under the direction of the Priesthood. I believe it was the first ordinance performed in the Nauvoo Temple was Baptisms for the dead…the baptistery was dedicated before the entire Temple so these “Baptisms” could take place. If I am incorrect please let me know…as I often am.

Edit to add...

I apologize I did not see your other post which mentioned this.

Edited by Bill “Papa” Lee