Unconditional Love.. A Modern Day Example.

Mudcat

An episode happened across the 4th of July weekend that I thought I would share.

There is a fellow I know vaguely. He works for an insurance company I do business with. I deal with another rep there but have seen him off and on through the years. He is in his mid 40's. A Christian, church goer, and so forth.

They were boating this weekend, his wife, twin daughters, son and extended family. A storm blew up on the lake and the waters got very choppy.

They headed back into port. On their way they passed a boat that was waiting on a struggling swimmer to return.

The fellow I knew, saw the distress of the swimmer and jumped in after him. Apparently he was a strong swimmer and made it to the struggling swimmer. He gave him his life jacket and helped him to the swimmers boat.

The storm had grown worse and had pushed the two boats close together. As the fellow I knew swam back to his boat, he began to struggle himself. His own son tossed him a rope which the fellow missed in the course of his struggles.

The two boats collided, either striking him or pushing him under. He did not survive and his body was found two days later.

Being a hero isn't all it's cracked up to be, I don't think. But there is not doubt in my mind he died a hero.

I am so sorry to hear that, Mudcat. He was, indeed, a hero, but it is sad that he had to lose his life. I'm sure he will be greatly missed. :(

All we can do, when we are called to serve, is act. I've had the absolute privilege of saving a life in the water. It was an honor, and I am so thankful that my mother started teaching me to swim before I could walk. She insisted that I learn everything about the water and when I was 12, I passed my lifeguard tests. I was 15 when I saved a youth just a few years younger than me on a ward outing at a local reservoir. After I assisted him to shore, I got out of the water, went over to the ward picnic and had lunch. I never told until 25 years later; I told my mom. I never wanted to feel anything in my heart but the sheer privilege it is to serve. My advice - when called to serve, use the spirit to determine the best way to help save someone. When I was in the water, and saw that youth start to go down, there is no doubt I was directed to act, I never saw him again, nor do I know who he was.

We may not realize it, but when we have a calling, such as teaching, we have the ability to change people's lives. We don’t always save the person's life we teach. Sometimes it’s the person we teach that ends up saving another life. I will always be grateful for the hours and hours of swim lessons my mother insisted on every day after school.

Edited by Messenger

I heard this story this morning and is also a great example of unconditional love. It's about a young woman taking care of 13 orphan girls in Uganda. She was a homecoming queen of her high school four years ago and could have had a fairly easy life, but she choose to become the mother of these 13 girls. Color me very impressed.

In Uganda, American Becomes Foster Mom To 13 Girls

She started teaching kindergarten at an orphanage in a small village near the town of Jinja. One night, in January 2008, a mud hut down the road from the orphanage collapsed on three small AIDS orphans during a rainstorm. One of the girls, Agnes, then 9 years old, was taken for medical treatment.

"I was in the hospital, and I asked Mommy whether if I can live with her, and she said, 'yes,' " Agnes recalled.

Davis couldn't find any living relatives willing to take any of the girls, and she refused to send them to an overcrowded orphanage.

"The workers are always changing," Davis said of the orphanages. "Even if you form a relationship with one of the aunties or mommas, or whatever they call them at the orphanage, that momma might leave."

Davis then rented a house to accommodate the three girls. Over the next 18 months, 10 more girls moved in. All had been abandoned or abused, or had watched their parents wither away from AIDS.

uganda2.jpg?t=1309287712&s=2

Davis has set up an organization that provides food, medication and school fees to Ugandan children.

The youngest girl, Patricia, now 2 years old, was literally given to Davis by an HIV-positive mother who had 11 other children.

"My first instinct is not, 'Oh, a baby — let me adopt it!' Because I think, best-case scenario, they're raised in Uganda by Ugandans," said Davis. "But knowing there is nowhere else for them to go, I don't find myself capable of sending them away."