Seriously No Politics ×

How Involved Is The Prophet In The Process Of Issuing Of Mission Calls?

In the autopen thread, Sky wrote:

It’s kind of a letdown to realize that the one letter in your entire life from the prophet was not actually signed by the prophet. I suppose it doesn’t matter though. He is still very much involved with the process of issuing missing calls. I remember writing back to the First Presidency accepting my mission call. It all works out in the end.

If the volume of calls necessitates the use of an autopen, would not that same volume lead to the responsibility of assigning calls being delegated to a committee?

About 500 calls are issued each week (100 per day – using a 5 day work week). At 8 hours per day that’s about 16 calls per hour or 1 call every 3-4 minutes. It’s not reasonable to believe that the prophet prays about each individual call.

Does anybody have first-hand knowledge of the process of issuing mission calls?

If the volume of calls necessitates the use of an autopen, would not that same volume lead to the responsibility of assigning calls being delegated to a committee?

About 500 calls are issued each week (100 per day – using a 5 day work week). At 8 hours per day that’s about 16 calls per hour or 1 call every 3-4 minutes. It’s not reasonable to believe that the prophet prays about each individual call.

The Prophet has the keys and presides over the issuing of the mission calls, so he is most involved on that point. I have heard the revelatory process for assigning missionaries to missions (the call) described a couple of times by those were involved first-hand. Here is one example, and the descriptions I've heard follow this pattern:

“I have had [many] experiences feeling of the Holy Ghost…But I’ve never felt what I have felt as I have…participated in the assigning of missionaries…Because of technology, it is possible for us to have your picture and the information about you displayed. And then quickly, on that same screen, all the missions of the Church with all of their needs are displayed. Within minutes, and sometimes less than a minute, the impression comes so powerfully that it would be, if it were a single instance, something that you would never forget. Can you imagine sitting there for hours at a time, having that happen time after time without interruption? I testify to you that it is real…[The Lord] somehow not only knows you but loves you enough to ensure that your call is where He needs you to go to teach the children of our Heavenly Father.” (Pres. Henry B. Eyring, “Called of God,” address delivered at the Missionary Training Center, Aug. 26, 1997).

Where so much is properly and legitimately done by delegation ("by mine own voice"--D&C 1:38) and autopen, it is reasonable to believe that the Prophet is much involved in each individual call. His signature indicates that the call is made through proper channels by proper authority and revelation.

Well... in that same thread, this General Conference talk was also referenced: http://lds.org/general-conference/2010/04/the-divine-call-of-a-missionary?lang=eng Does that count as someone who has first-hand knowledge of the process? He makes it clear that it isn't the prophet who issues all the calls. Obviously, who signs them is a different question, but the Church makes it no secret that the prophet doesn't do all the work. He shouldn't have to. He has counselors and a quorum of twelve for a reason.

As has been stated, much can be done by delegation, as is shown by the following:
(Exodus 18:13-23) "And it came to pass on the morrow, that Moses sat to judge the people: and the people stood by Moses from the morning unto the evening. And when Moses' father in law saw all that he did to the people, he said, What is this thing that thou doest to the people? why sittest thou thyself alone, and all the people stand by thee from morning unto even? And Moses said unto his father in law, Because the people come unto me to enquire of God: When they have a matter, they come unto me; and I judge between one and another, and I do make them know the statutes of God, and his laws. And Moses' father in law said unto him, The thing that thou doest is not good. Thou wilt surely wear away, both thou, and this people that is with thee: for this thing is too heavy for thee; thou art not able to perform it thyself alone. Hearken now unto my voice, I will give thee counsel, and God shall be with thee: Be thou for the people to God-ward, that thou mayest bring the causes unto God: And thou shalt teach them ordinances and laws, and shalt shew them the way wherein they must walk, and the work that they must do. Moreover thou shalt provide out of all the people able men, such as fear God, men of truth, hating covetousness; and place such over them, to be rulers of thousands, and rulers of hundreds, rulers of fifties, and rulers of tens: And let them judge the people at all seasons: and it shall be, that every great matter they shall bring unto thee, but every small matter they shall judge: so shall it be easier for thyself, and they shall bear the burden with thee. If thou shalt do this thing, and God command thee so, then thou shalt be able to endure, and all this people shall also go to their place in peace."

With a Church with millions of people and thousands of missionaries it may not be possible for the prophet to seek revelation for each one... this does not negate that fact that the calls come from God. For what God can reveal to Joseph He can reveal to the least of His Saints. This is why Stake Presidents and Bishops are given the authority to call members to callings in their wards and branches. This does not mean they are not called by God through prophecy and revelation... they are... so the Missionary committee is just as inspired as the prophet himself when they are acting under the inspiration and revelation given them by virtue of their calling. Just as thousands of sealers in hundreds of temples across the world can do the ordinances under the direction of the Prophet who is the one who holds the keys of this power. The one with the keys can authorize others, that is the very nature of the priesthood or authority of God. The following quote should explain this very well: "whether by mine own voice or by the voice of my servants, it is the same." (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 1:38)

The Prophet has the keys and presides over the issuing of the mission calls, so he is most involved on that point. I have heard the revelatory process for assigning missionaries to missions (the call) described a couple of times by those were involved first-hand. Here is one example, and the descriptions I've heard follow this pattern:

“I have had [many] experiences feeling of the Holy Ghost…But I’ve never felt what I have felt as I have…participated in the assigning of missionaries…Because of technology, it is possible for us to have your picture and the information about you displayed. And then quickly, on that same screen, all the missions of the Church with all of their needs are displayed. Within minutes, and sometimes less than a minute, the impression comes so powerfully that it would be, if it were a single instance, something that you would never forget. Can you imagine sitting there for hours at a time, having that happen time after time without interruption? I testify to you that it is real…[The Lord] somehow not only knows you but loves you enough to ensure that your call is where He needs you to go to teach the children of our Heavenly Father.” (Pres. Henry B. Eyring, “Called of God,” address delivered at the Missionary Training Center, Aug. 26, 1997).

Where so much is properly and legitimately done by delegation ("by mine own voice"--D&C 1:38) and autopen, it is reasonable to believe that the Prophet is much involved in each individual call. His signature indicates that the call is made through proper channels by proper authority and revelation.

Thats weird. My mission call was permanently changed from the European Mission to a Mission in the USA when it took a long time to get my visa. I guess the Lord changed his mind about where was I going.

Since I have no 1st hand knowledge of how they do it. I guess it is similar to how the AP's and Mission presidents do transfers. They just pair people up and then pray about the whole change. Then they listen and if they feel something needs to be changed they do that. Sometimes I think people think they have a crystal ball and names with a country just show up in that ball. I also don't think that each person is prayed for individually. I don't think that is how it works. I think it is more done on a group basis. They look for were the need is and probably coordinate from there.

Edited by Mola Ram Suda Ram

Pure speculation: there are 15 prophets, seers, and revelators...each sitting with the committee for a period of time would make 33 calls per week per general authority. Not unreasonable.

Bernard

Thats weird. My mission call was permanently changed from the European Mission to a Mission in the USA when it took a long time to get my visa. I guess the Lord changed his mind about where was I going.

I would say so. From my experience, such a thing is actually for your benefit--lots happens between point A and point B that changes the Lord's plan for you.

Naw, He did not change his mind, he just wanted to see if you would still serve with all your heart, mind, and strength in the US. That thing about enduring to the end comes to mind. How many times to events that could undermine our faith get pushed aside by faith everlasting? How many times do we also fall, allowing faith to dwindle, because of those same events. It is still a matter of choice to hold to the rod or go skipping through the mist.

A friend of mine, who's the grandson of a GA, relates that he got to pick where he was going after his dad brought home a print-out of all the locations of the current missions, handed it to his son, and said, "Pick one."

Of course, it doesn't work that way for most of us. ;)

Daniel2

A friend of mine, who's the grandson of a GA, relates that he got to pick where he was going after his dad brought home a print-out of all the locations of the current missions, handed it to his son, and said, "Pick one."

Of course, it doesn't work that way for most of us. ;)

Daniel2

I personally would have hated to pick were I went.

I personally would have hated to pick were I went.

Yeah, I would have hated the thought of 'choosing' where to go, too. It felt more purposeful to be "sent" somewhere, rather than to choose that for myself.

I would have been disappointed if I hadn't gone Spanish-speaking, though, since all 5 prior-missionaries in my immediate family went Spanish-speaking... I was really concerned I'd get sent English-speaking, and be left out of all the Spanish chat at family reunions. Not an important thing to be concerned about, I know... But it seemed to be, when I was a teenager.

Ultimately, it the mechanism of how the calls are assigned isn't really that important.

Daniel2