Seriously No Politics ×

Seriously, Thanks For Everything

Walden

I'm not even sure if these types of farewells are allowed by the board administrators, but what the heck.

I had an interesting experience today, an personal epiphany if you will. I was speaking with my LDS father about a relative from my wife's side of the family, who my parents know fairly well. This relative has endured some recent difficulties in life, and my LDS father asked if I thought it would be alright if he added this person's name to the prayer list at the temple. My wife's family is staunchly catholic (except for my wife.....we're both non-believers). Anyway, without a second thought I answered to my father, "you know what dad, I know that my in-law's would appreciate any prayers that they can get." And no, it wasn't a conversion moment, but rather a moment where I fully realized that even if it was all bunk (the LDS religion, the catholic religion, all of it.....which I still believe), even if it was fake, it makes people whom I love and respect and admire (and consider completely sane), very happy and filled with hope. And to me, that's not a bad thing (for some reason this sounds eerily familiar as the point of that South Park episode.....anyway, I digress). I mean really, in the end, we all do what we do to get by; just as my secular understanding provides me with a certain comfort and a perspective that enables me to make sense of the world around me, the same goes for the believer. And really, without a religious dog in this fight (I have no desire to convert anyone, nor any faith system that might feel threatened by another's faith, etc), what is the point of me coming on here to argue for secular belief on a theist-based board? Really, what's the point?

So anyway, anyone who has read my posts knows that I am a pretty committed atheist.....like most around here, I'm pretty set in my beliefs. But in the short time I've been on this board, I've learned a great deal. I really do want to thank everyone for their insights. I want to especially thank the learned and the articulate and the rational LDS believers who I never really saw in the LDS faith that I was raised in, or maybe never looked to see. These were the people whom I clashed with the most on this board and they know who they are and I want to thank them for pushing my limits of understanding, challenging my thought processes and closely-held views, and for teaching me that there is a whole other dimension to LDS theology. Though I will never come to fully understand theist-thinking, I appreciate the thought-provoking and intriguing insights that have helped me come to a greater understanding of both belief and non-belief.

So, thank you......I'm out

PS - special thanks to the admins....you guys rock!

Now really Walden... do you think you can stay away? Hmmmm...

GG

(If so, that's fine... all good wishes to you)

Walden,

I don’t know you that well, so I only have your post to know you; You seem a very articulate person. There's nothing wrong with an open mind, and testing by experiment is a good way to find truth. After all, what’s the harm in making a prayer? Truly, for the person you are praying for ... what’s the down side? There is none, as you and I agree. Perhaps that’s a good thing when an atheist and a Christian can agree on something.

Perhaps the day will come in either technology or human evolution, when we each will be able to share, without the fault of language, what we have actually experienced. That would be a wonderful day. Until then, we have only our own experiences that drive us, mold us, and motivate us. Without them we, and certainly I, am nothing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FbSPXC4btU

I'm not even sure if these types of farewells are allowed by the board administrators, but what the heck.

I had an interesting experience today, an personal epiphany if you will. I was speaking with my LDS father about a relative from my wife's side of the family, who my parents know fairly well. This relative has endured some recent difficulties in life, and my LDS father asked if I thought it would be alright if he added this person's name to the prayer list at the temple. My wife's family is staunchly catholic (except for my wife.....we're both non-believers). Anyway, without a second thought I answered to my father, "you know what dad, I know that my in-law's would appreciate any prayers that they can get." And no, it wasn't a conversion moment, but rather a moment where I fully realized that even if it was all bunk (the LDS religion, the catholic religion, all of it.....which I still believe), even if it was fake, it makes people whom I love and respect and admire (and consider completely sane), very happy and filled with hope. And to me, that's not a bad thing (for some reason this sounds eerily familiar as the point of that South Park episode.....anyway, I digress). I mean really, in the end, we all do what we do to get by; just as my secular understanding provides me with a certain comfort and a perspective that enables me to make sense of the world around me, the same goes for the believer. And really, without a religious dog in this fight (I have no desire to convert anyone, nor any faith system that might feel threatened by another's faith, etc), what is the point of me coming on here to argue for secular belief on a theist-based board? Really, what's the point?

So anyway, anyone who has read my posts knows that I am a pretty committed atheist.....like most around here, I'm pretty set in my beliefs. But in the short time I've been on this board, I've learned a great deal. I really do want to thank everyone for their insights. I want to especially thank the learned and the articulate and the rational LDS believers who I never really saw in the LDS faith that I was raised in, or maybe never looked to see. These were the people whom I clashed with the most on this board and they know who they are and I want to thank them for pushing my limits of understanding, challenging my thought processes and closely-held views, and for teaching me that there is a whole other dimension to LDS theology. Though I will never come to fully understand theist-thinking, I appreciate the thought-provoking and intriguing insights that have helped me come to a greater understanding of both belief and non-belief.

PS - special thanks to the admins....you guys rock!

You are a good egg. Take care. :air_kiss: BTW that is a manly air kiss. Edited by Bill “Papa” Lee

Now really Walden... do you think you can stay away? Hmmmm...

GG

(If so, that's fine... all good wishes to you)

On another web board I used to frequent, it was a "law of web board mechanics" that anyone who took the time to announce their departure from the board would most likely return at a later date. He'll be back.

Hi Walden,

I always enjoyed having you on here, even though we have different perspectives. I’m sorry to see you go. Perhaps you could take a break for a while, and then come back when you feel the time is right. I know that life often gets too busy to be posting on here frequently. I wish you all the best in life.

Take care,

Sky