Seriously No Politics ×

A Path To Faith

Frank, I tend to believe that God is much more loving and forgiving (and patient) than most of us realize. I am coming to believe we are on a journey and we will all end up in "God's House", even if it takes a trillion years.

It is the will of God to save us and bring us to Him. I have a hard time believing that God's will will not happen. Something like trying to keep the tide back or trying to prevent the sun from rising.

I have thought, many times, that same thing, that it would have been so much easier, if I had been living during that time and could have actually known Joseph Smith, personally. But, a lot of people knew him, who didn't consider him a prophet (just the opposite), so maybe it wouldn't have been any easier (for me).

I don't know if he is a prophet, and I don't even know if the Book of Mormon is true history, but I do know there are things, in there, that have inspired me to move towards God and become a better person. I will settle for that, for the time being. For now, I am moving forward on faith and finding the good whereever it may be. It's everywhere, to some degree.

Prior to my waking up I would have rejected JS but I would not have fought against the people. I am not a mob kind of guy. I think that I would have defended them even if I thought they were wrong. I equate a person for what they do not what they believe. But after I woke up I think it would have been easy to see a prophet. But I check against scripture anyway.

As for the history of the Jews coming to this part of the world. I would find it hard to think He (God) did not send people all over the world. I suspect many never wrote a record. So for me it would be odd if there are just two groups or two areas.

It is the will of God to save us and bring us to Him. I have a hard time believing that God's will will not happen. Something like trying to keep the tide back or trying to prevent the sun from rising.

Exactly. Plus, I think we have a natural, built-in attraction to God, because we are a part of him/her.

Prior to my waking up I would have rejected JS but I would not have fought against the people. I am not a mob kind of guy. I think that I would have defended them even if I thought they were wrong. I equate a person for what they do not what they believe. But after I woke up I think it would have been easy to see a prophet. But I check against scripture anyway.

I hope I would not have been against the church, but since I have spoken against it, at times, I can't say I wouldn't have been. But, I hope I would never have condoned the violence. I am not a violent person and I think what was done to Joseph Smith and the early Mormons was very wrong, and went against what this country was suppose to stand for.

As for the history of the Jews coming to this part of the world. I would find it hard to think He (God) did not send people all over the world. I suspect many never wrote a record. So for me it would be odd if there are just two groups or two areas.

Yeah, that's a good point. I agree that it's totally possible.

Once we are on this path to faith we manifest changes. We must manifest changes or we fail in faith. We are told that faith without works is dead. I have tried to imagine someone who could have faith in the Gospel and not do good works based on that faith. I can not, I have to conclude that anyone declaring faith but having no works really has no faith and that person is fooling them self. They may indeed want faith but it is elusive for that person.

So what does faith do to us? I have to say that the primary thing it does is change our worldview. The lens that we use to view the world and judge it must change. Our priorities change for our own person. Some change way more than others. The change in our priorities for our self shift from self preservation of the things of the world to preservation of ones soul. We acquire a rule set made by God and we are to hold to those rules. They become more important than our life in the flesh. A day is coming that man will be asked to follow Satan or die. Many will die. This is obviously an act of faith. But that act is future for most. We are called to act today. We take on the name of Christ. To become Christian. We can call our self Christian but does that make us one? Only if we move from who we were to being more Christ like. Once we start to become an example of a Christian can we call our self a Christian. That change in us and our behavior is seen by others. Those who seek good will recognize the change and seek to find out how that person was able to change. A Christian is a light for the world to draw in those who seek light. This is the work that Paul talked about. We have a job as a Christian. Just as others before us provided a light and taught the Gospel we are to do the same. The chain of faith is unbroken back to Adam. It is our job to become the next link in that chain.