Seriously No Politics ×

Would You Vote For A Mormon?

Probably will eventually get shut down for politics, but any thoughts (non-political, of course) about this?

http://www.gallup.com/poll/148100/Hesitant-Support-Mormon-2012.aspx

At 22%, Americans' resistance to electing a Mormon president, even one nominated by their own party, is exceeded only by their opposition to electing someone who is either gay or lesbian (32%) or an atheist (49%). By contrast, less than half as many, 10%, say they would not vote for a Hispanic, and fewer than 10% would not vote for a nominee who is Jewish, Baptist, Catholic, female, or black.
At 22%, Americans' resistance to electing a Mormon president, even one nominated by their own party, is exceeded only by their opposition to electing someone who is either gay or lesbian (32%) or an atheist (49%).

Heh.

I'm a gay, atheist, ex-Mormon.

Guess I should give up my dream of the presidency...

Daniel2

Probably will eventually get shut down for politics, but any thoughts (non-political, of course) about this?

http://www.gallup.co...ormon-2012.aspx

I don't vote for someone based on which building they go to on Sunday. I vote for them based on relevant political stances on the issues. I could care less if he was LDS, Atheist, Catholic, Deist, or Scientologist. As long as I agree with them based on the relevant political positions, I'd vote for them. I'd even vote for a gay, dyslexic, agnostic who lays awake at night wondering if there was a dog.... (provided I agreed with them on the issues.)

I am not a big fan of Romney or Huntsman, and I detest Harry Reid.

Edited by ELF1024

I'll vote for whomever least diverges from my principles concerning how government should behave. None of the things Daniel2 mentions would even be a consideration for me.

Great post, Nathair. My comment was meant tongue-in-cheek, given the poll. ;)

Daniel2

Heh.

I'm a gay, atheist, ex-Mormon.

Guess I should give up my dream of the presidency...

Daniel2

The ex-Mormon bit would win you some points.

How about a Mormon who is female and black, married to a man, of course?

Bernard

I don't vote for someone based on which building they go to on Sunday...

I am not a big fan of Romney or Huntsman, and I detest Harry Reid.

So, you wouldn't vote for a Mormon?

Bernard

I'll vote for whomever least diverges from my principles concerning how government should behave. None of the things Daniel2 mentions would even be a consideration for me.

I'm old enough to remember in detail the opposition to Kennedy because he was Catholic.

The main issue was whether he would have allegiance to the Constitution or the Pope.

Among certain detractors, Mormons have the same problem...Constitution or Monson.

What other reasons might there be?

Bernard

Give me a Mormon I agree with politically and I'll vote for him or her. I don't agree with Romney, Huntsman, or Reid.

That pretty much represents the Mormon political spectrum...except for the Cleon Skousen wing.

Snap! I just got political.

Bernard

Edited by Bernard Gui

I'm old enough to remember in detail the opposition to Kennedy because he was Catholic.

The main issue was whether he would have allegiance to the Constitution or the Pope.

Among certain detractors, Mormons have the same problem...Constitution or Monson.

What other reasons might there be?

Bernard

I think there may be some concern as to how our nation looks from the perspective of other nations with a LDS Commander in Chief.

To outsiders of the church many of the beliefs seem silly and believers appear gullible. I'm not saying this perception is correct, I'm just saying it's out there.

The irony, of course, is that many of the same people that believe Noah loaded pairs of 5 million species of animals on to a boat are the same people that think it's ridiculous that an Angel appeared to a farm boy in New York. There's plenty of hypocrisy to go around.

There will be some, that for no other reason, will not vote for a Mormon. There was a dude on the radio today that would not vote for John Huntsman solely because John was a Mormon and John believes in a different God other than the Truine God of the bible.

Apparently not, since I am LDS, and don't agree with them politically.

I am LDS and I do not agree with very much of any of those 3 options listed.

I should be clear that I disagree with all three of those things, but I don't consider them when I choose my government officials...or my friends.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/148100/Hesitant-Support-Mormon-2012.aspx

I think that those opinion polls are misleading. They do not take into account the charisma of a would-be candidate, and his ability to inspire a crowd. A survey like that conducted before Barack Obama became president, would have probably produced the same negative results about a future black president; but Obama got in because he has what it takes. He is eloquent, he has charisma, he is a great orator, he is intelligent, he is witty—and he has a great wife and kids—all of which counts towards endearing him to the public.

As regards a Mormon president is concerned, we now have two great Mormons running for president. That proves that Mormons have got talent, right? It isn’t just one or two of them. There are loads who can do the job! That I think will improve the chances of either one of them. People will see that Mormons aren't freaks. They are normal and successful people like everyone else can be. And as far as talent goes, it looks like they have more than their fair share.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/on-faith/post/evangelicals-mormons-and-the-beliefs-of-the-president/2011/06/07/AGnGX8KH_blog.html

the above gives good commentary on: http://www.patheos.com/Resources/Additional-Resources/Vote-for-Romney-Is-a-Vote-for-the-LDS-Church-Warren-Cole-Smith-05-24-2011.html

1. Any Mormon, regardless of qualifications for office, is unfit to serve because his or her religion is somehow “demonstrably false.” By false, I assume you mean different from yours, or from how you define “biblical Christianity.”

2. Because Mormons believe in continuing revelation, they could “believe one thing today and another thing tomorrow.”

3. The election of a Mormon president would give the religion a boost because it would seem like an endorsement. And that would be a bad thing.

I personally will vote for anyone who appears to believe in a smaller gov - who is willing to start getting us out of debt... regardless of what their religious beliefs are.

Edited by changed

I'd vote for Gladys Knight, heck yes! Just for grins.

Huntsman vs. Romney, who'd a guessed it would ever happen that TWO Mormons would go head to head in a candidacy race? Not me.

The Mormons are anathema to too many "Christians", still. Neither one will fly. The religious bigots are too many to override politics with common sense....