Rumors Of Blasphemy

It has been brought to my attention by a group of Christians that "Mormons" - forgive me the quotations, but it is a vague term is it not? -

that Mormons believe that when we die we have the potential to acquire a form of God hood through Jesus Christ in the resurrection.

When I was in Toronto this was confirmed by 2 elders I spoke with.

To my knowledge this doctrine is derived from two references in the Holy Bible and no where else. Is this true? Is anything I said yet false?

In the book of John, 10.34

"Jesus answered them, "Is it not written in your law, 'I said, you are gods'?

If he called them gods to whom the word of God came - and the scriptures cannot be broken -"

and again, the reference Jesus was making, which was to Psalms 82. specifically 82.6

God has taken his place in the divine council;

in the midst of the gods he holds judgment:

"How long will you judge unjustly

and show partiality to the wicked?

Give justice tot he weak and the fatherless;

maintain the right of the afflicted and the destitute.

Rescue the weak and needy;

deliver them from the hand of the wicked."

They have neither knowledge or understanding

they walk about in darkness,

all foundations of the earth are shaken.

I said, "You are gods,

sons of the Most High, all of you;

nevertheless, like men you shall die,

and fall like any prince."

Arise, O God, judge the earth;

for you shall inherit all nations!

As you see as Jesus specified by saying, 'to whom the word of God came'

he was declaring that the word was not spoken to man:

'God has taken his place in the divine council', but in fact he was speaking to devils.

Men will not become gods.

Jesus Christ was distinguishing blasphemy written within the law,

because it would break the Law written by Solomon to rebuke a fool and correct him.

Instead Jesus presented a burden for them, as the one they had presented to him, which he bore.

Praise be to God most high in the name, Jesus Christ.

To my knowledge this doctrine is derived from two references in the Holy Bible and no where else. Is this true? Is anything I said yet false?

ThomasJoseph,

Welcome to the Discussion Board. I am no moderator as you can see I am simply a "Newbie", however, I would recommend you read the board rules. Seems like your post is setting up a discussion based on debating scripture, as such the Social Hall is not the proper place for this. I mention this just in case you may wonder why you may not get the responses you are likely hoping for, it is because your post is likely in the wrong place. Obviously you will reply I have to post 25 times to get to post other places. Well board rules are board rules. Get to know a few folks and post your topic over to the discussion board.

Biz

Welcome Thomas. You may want to see if a mod can move this thread for you to the General Discussions section where I'm sure there will be folks who are willing to discuss this with you. Just be respectful and careful brandishing words like blasphemy.