Seriously No Politics ×

Why Have A Temple Recommend Process?

KevinG

In light of some critical statements about the temple recommend process on other threads...

What do you think the purpose(s) of the temple recommend process are? Critics, faithful, faithful critics and critically faithful are all welcome to share and respond.

(I should add - in your own words and experience... Links to authoritative talks on the subject are welcome but please add those as support for your thoughts not in lieu of them.)

To make sure you don't enter the temple unable to make covenants you can't keep. (i.e. Someone currently not keeping the Law of Chastity would have hard time making a covenant to do so.)

The temple recommend process, in my opinion, is mainly to protect us from ourselves.

Of course there are other reasons. Heavenly Father really wants all of us to be or become Temple (and Celestial Kingdom) worthy. But it would not help us to take a step for which we are not worthy or ready.

Glenn

An argument against the temple recommend process can be argued from the Lutheran standpoint that authority of God's children is equal and final judgment rests with God. But that would also necessitate the rejection of authority in general. If you believe in authority then for organizational purposes (let us refer to Jethro if you will) then some organization must be established in order to show the line of authority for those who would question it, and also to help us reflect the care and importance we give it. Structure allows for clear understanding of basic concepts. This life is also a preperatory experience in which we will do things that are a precursor for the next life. In that next life we will reflect on our righteousness, our actions, and self evaluation and report the same to the next in line of authority.

That is if you reject the idea of authority.

Temple Recommend interviews are a great way to reevaluate our lives - and to do a spiritual cleansing if need be. They test our devotion to the Lord and His restored Church. They help to ensure that we are keeping the commandments. We also have the opportunity to have an open conversation with our Priesthood leaders.

What do you think the purpose(s) of the temple recommend process are?

Unless a person can get a recommend without tithing, my thought would be that it's about money.

Unless a person can get a recommend without tithing, my thought would be that it's about money.

How does your belief square with the notion that no one actually checks to see if those who claim to be full tithe payers actually are? That the questions are honor system based and anyone can lie and get one without paying a cent (and that it's possible to be a full tithe payer without paying a cent as well)?

Also, how does it square with the fact that people are asked to declare whether or not they are full tithe payers at the end of each year, completely outside of any temple recommend interview, making a temple recommend interview unnecessary if declaring tithing was it's only purpose?

I can understand your view of it, but i'm trying to understand it as it relates to the reality of how the church approaches the tithing issue.

:)

Unless you can get a temple recommend without ever going to sacrament, my thought would be that it's about perfect attendence.

This disappoints me Mudcat... I agree with the others' various responses...

GG

If it were that simple, I'd still be a Temple recommend holder.

This disappoints me Mudcat... I agree with the others' various responses...

GG

Me too. I had to look again to see who posted it.

Mudcat, I had a temple recommend for years and was not a tithe payer, simply because I had no income to pay tithing on. The question applies to those who do and whether they are full tithe payers or not is left to their own discretion. It's about obedience to a commandment just like the other questions.

In answer to the OP, I think that the TR interview is not only a chance for us to evaluate ourselves but also a statement to the Lord's representative that we are in compliance. If we are not but say so is a testimony against us. Much like committing purjury in a court of law, which is subject to penalties.

Tithing has nothing to do with money. God has all He needs and other provisions could be made for the support of the Church if He chose to go that route. Tithing is simply a reminder to faithful followers of God and Christ who is most important in their lives. By offering a small part of our substance (for now) we are testifying to God the sincerity of our commitment to His work. As for being a requirement for Temple worship, since the purpose of the Temple is to draw closer and become more like God, what better preparation than to learn to focus on Him more than on wealth.

Of course, if wealth is more important, tithing becomes a 'burr in the saddle' to some. MW

In answer to the OP, I think that the TR interview is not only a chance for us to evaluate ourselves but also a statement to the Lord's representative that we are in compliance. If we are not but say so is a testimony against us. Much like committing purjury in a court of law, which is subject to penalties.

I agree with this as well. I think of Ananias and his wife sapphira in the NT, whom God allowed to purjur(sp?) themselves so that He could justly 'punish' them.

God obviously knows what's in our hearts and doesn't need us to answer questions to find out, but there is bibical precident for Him requiring his disciples to say out loud and with witnesses where their alligence lies.

In light of some critical statements about the temple recommend process on other threads...

What do you think the purpose(s) of the temple recommend process are? Critics, faithful, faithful critics and critically faithful are all welcome to share and respond.

(I should add - in your own words and experience... Links to authoritative talks on the subject are welcome but please add those as support for your thoughts not in lieu of them.)

Having just been "processed" and had my temple recommend renewed, I can say that "this is how it's always been done". The questions have gotten more "soft" and less probing, for good reason: probing uncovers irreconcilable difficulties. Individuals who live otherwise exemplary lives can be "guilty" of all manner of disturbing private behaviors and occupations and variables. So a single "process" is all that works for a single destination - the temple. There is no way that such a place, with a set criteria for "worthiness" can possibly address all the individuality of c. 15 million people, let alone 7 billion.

The "worthiness" questions are general in their specificity. And I answer them accordingly. All that I am thinking beyond the doctrines of the Church I do not share, usually, with the interviewer. I pass the physical requirements swimmingly, so there is no difficulty in getting a recommend....

Archived