Seriously No Politics ×

The Church'S Appeal For Money For Monument(S)

Duncan

A few weeks back a letter from the First Presidency was read in our congregation to appeal for money to spend for restoration of the Priesthood monument(s) in Pennsylvania. So, then I read this bit in the newspaper about how the Church is spending money on an ad campaign in NYC. Why doesn't the Church just pick one and spend the cash on that and leave the members out of it? Hate to say but we lowly Canadians probably won't be sending our beaver bucks to spend on monuments in Pennsylvania, unless hockey was involved but hey

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/52005719-78/church-mormon-lds-musical.html.csp

A few weeks back a letter from the First Presidency was read in our congregation to appeal for money to spend for restoration of the Priesthood monument(s) in Pennsylvania. So, then I read this bit in the newspaper about how the Church is spending money on an ad campaign in NYC. Why doesn't the Church just pick one and spend the cash on that and leave the members out of it? Hate to say but we lowly Canadians probably won't be sending our beaver bucks to spend on monuments in Pennsylvania, unless hockey was involved but hey

http://www.sltrib.co...usical.html.csp

Unless the monuments are defined as missionary expenses I suspect the Church would like to keep the donations private and not mix them with building/tithing/missionary/charitable funds. Just my guess.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/52005719-78/church-mormon-lds-musical.html.csp

That request for donations was not about the Church "needing" the money, and of course it could divert funds from something else to the Priesthood restoration site. (Heck, forget "diverting" funds: the Church isn't hurting for money such that any "diversion" is necessary.) It was more about giving the membership of the Church a sense of ownership, of pride (perhaps those are both bad words, but ...) in the site. :)

Sometimes the church asks for things in order for the membership to learn or increase their knowledge of sacrifice. In our area the surrounding stakes in our temple district paid for temple to be built. We think its a beautiful temple. We also know that our contributions for the temple, allowed much more to be done in other countries with the money that might have been used for us. This makes us feel especially good about the temple, that somewhere, often in much poorer districts, much more is being done with the money that might otherwise have come to us.

Sometimes the church asks for things in order for the membership to learn or increase their knowledge of sacrifice. In our area the surrounding stakes in our temple district paid for temple to be built. We think its a beautiful temple. We also know that our contributions for the temple, allowed much more to be done in other countries with the money that might have been used for us. This makes us feel especially good about the temple, that somewhere, often in much poorer districts, much more is being done with the money that might otherwise have come to us.

You mean like tithing?

I'm not sure that I see why the Church should "leave the members out of it." I'm not even sure that I understand who "the Church" is, if it isn't the members.

I'm, personally, delighted that the Church is seeking to take advantage of the New York buzz created by The Book of Mormon. I hope the effort succeeds.

And please correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems to me that Canadian Latter-day Saints would see themselves as no less blessed by the restoration of the priesthood than the Saints in the United States have been.

I'm not sure that I see why the Church should "leave the members out of it." I'm not even sure that I understand who "the Church" is, if it isn't the members.

I'm, personally, delighted that the Church is seeking to take advantage of the New York buzz created by The Book of Mormon. I hope the effort succeeds.

And please correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems to me that Canadian Latter-day Saints would see themselves as no less blessed by the restoration of the priesthood than the Saints in the United States have been.

If the church can build three billion dollar malls, the church most assuredly should foot the bill of a monument and stop sucking every little penny out of their members under the guise of "sacrifice."

I mean the Church HQ who are making the appeal. I was thinking that the church could do both projects without asking for money from local members and was wondering why they are involved. I hope the missionary efforts are rewarded. The Canadians have been blessed by the restoration of the Priesthood and could find Pennsylvania on a map better then others I am sure! haha!

If the church can build three billion dollar malls, the church most assuredly should foot the bill of a monument and stop sucking every little penny out of their members under the guise of "sacrifice."

I, for one, love to pay tithing and to contribute. Most faithful Saints in my experience do, as well.

I take it that you don't.

And I think that the mall will be a great thing for Salt Lake City, Temple Square, and the Church.

Do you, by the way, have any figures as to how much tithing money has gone into the mall?

I, for one, love to pay tithing and to contribute. Most faithful Saints in my experience do, as well.

I take it that you don't.

And I think that the mall will be a great thing for Salt Lake City, Temple Square, and the Church.

Do you, by the way, have any figures as to how much tithing money has gone into the mall?

I dont think this person claimed the 3 billion for the mall was from tithing money. But is saying that the Church organization/business/corp. has 3 billion to spend on a mall, then it most assuredly could find in the same place that 3 billion comes from, the pittens for monuments.

http://www.sltrib.co...usical.html.csp

http://newsroom.lds.org/article/church-to-restore-historic-site-in-pennsylvania

The letter invites interested Church members to make a small, one-time contribution to the project, in the "Other" category.This tells me the Church is inviting people who find joy in participating in this manner on this particular subject an opportunity to do so. Why not every every endeavor: something like the restoration of the Priesthood is calculated to be of welcome interest to members of all ages and means around around the globe.

It's kind of tough to get those types of figures when an organization is as secretive about their finances as the LDS church is (unlike the other major religious denominations in the United States who publish their annual financial statements).

It's kind of tough to get those types of figures when an organization is as secretive about their finances as the LDS church is (unlike the other major religious denominations in the United States who publish their annual financial statements).

So in other words your comments about tithing money going for such projects is pure speculation and you are calling church leaders who have plainly stated such is not the case liars.

The Canadians have been blessed by the restoration of the Priesthood and could find Pennsylvania on a map better then others I am sure! haha!

I'm not certain how serious you were with your remark about "lowly Canadians" and "monuments in Pennsylvania," but I have to say I was saddened and a bit bothered by the implication that someone would try to put national boundaries on what really is a legacy that belongs to all members of the Church regardless of their place of residence.

This reminds of a statement made in a talk given in the Salt Lake Tabernacle back in June 1978 by Elder Robert S. Wood of the Seventy.

Elder Wood said he has lived in areas away from Church headquarters where some Church members regarded July 24, the anniversary of the entrance of Brigham Young and the pioneers into the Salt Lake Valley in 1847, as "a Utah holiday." He said that is like saying that the exodus of the children of Israel from Egypt is a Canaan holiday.

I'm not certain how serious you were with your remark about "lowly Canadians" and "monuments in Pennsylvania," but I have to say I was saddened and a bit bothered by the implication that someone would try to put national boundaries on what really is a legacy that belongs to all members of the Church regardless of their place of residence.

This reminds of a statement made in a talk given in the Salt Lake Tabernacle back in June 1978 by Elder Robert S. Wood of the Seventy.

Calm down! haha! I was just trying to lighten the mood!

Jeff K., on 14 June 2011 - 10:07 PM, said:

You mean like tithing?

As I recall additional contributions were and remain voluntary. And it made me happy to make that additional contribution, especially when it offered the opportunity to apply more to other areas. I see it as an opportunity to be of some service for the many blessings I have received. Some apparently do not necessarily see it that way.

No bother, those worried don't have to pay. We cannot help it if other churches are held in less confidence by their memberships as stewards of the Lords money than ours is.

Since you seem to regard as lies explicit declarations from Church leaders that tithing monies have not been used for the mall project, how would it possibly help you if the Church released financial figures?

Wouldn't they very likely be bogus? Think Enron.

There is, apparently, no limit to the sheer eeeeeevil of those who direct the Church.

So in other words your comments about tithing money going for such projects is pure speculation and you are calling church leaders who have plainly stated such is not the case liars.

If you had actually read the above posts you would see that I never mentioned anything about tithing money going to build the mall, and thus your statement about "comments about tithing money going for such projects is pure speculation," is false.

My actual response was in relation to Dan's question "Do you, by the way, have any figures as to how much tithing money has gone into the mall?", as if that type of information is forthcoming and open when it comes to LDS finances. The fact is, the LDS church, unlike other major religious denominations, is highly secretive with regard to finances.

Since you seem to regard as lies explicit declarations from Church leaders that tithing monies have not been used for the mall project, how would it possibly help you if the Church released financial figures?

Wouldn't they very likely be bogus? Think Enron.

There is, apparently, no limit to the sheer eeeeeevil of those who direct the Church.

I never said anything about church leaders lieing, nor did I ever mention that tithing money was spent on the mall.....jeez, what is going on with the reading comprehension on this board today? Please re-read my posts above if necessary and show me where I stated such?

All I stated was that it would be difficult to verify how church funds are spent when the LDS church is as secretive and guarded about their finances as they are. This was in direct response to your statement asking "Do you, by the way, have any figures as to how much tithing money has gone into the mall?"....the question asked of another poster, not me.

WIth all the strawmen around here today, we better keep this board away from any open flames.

The fact is, the LDS church, unlike other major religious denominations, is highly secretive with regard to finances.

Which means you don't know if tithing money is being used for such things.

Isn't the City Creek Center enough of a monument............to Mammon?

Obviously you haven't been there. It was getting so bad before they started. Now they are almost done and it is so pleasant to see the new buildings and to be able to walk around pleasant grounds. For those of us who live here it is a boon to the community and for the church to undertake this was of great benefit for the whole community.

Archived