Seriously No Politics ×

Temple Clothing For The Deceased

paulpatter

A relative of mine, who was married in the temple but who subsequently became inactive, was dressed in temple clothing at his viewing. Frankly, that surprised me. He never attended Church, didn't pay his tithing, and was addicted to coffee. Still, he was a wonderful father, faithful husband, and a thoroughly decent and honorable man in every way. Is the decision about how he should be dressed at the viewing up to the bishop or stake president? Or is there an overarching Church policy? I will be grateful for your counsel and comments.

Leaders have a handbook called Instructions for Clothing the Dead Who Have Received Their Endowments. The current general handbook does say "deceased members who were endowed should be buried in temple clothing".

Phaedrus

Can the relatives of the deceased endowed member ask that they not be placed in temple clothing?

Can the relatives of the deceased endowed member ask that they not be placed in temple clothing?

Since they are probably the ones actually dressing the relative and they are the ones who have control over how the body is handled, it is their option, regardless of church policy. THe church has no power to force anyone to dress a body someone else is 'in charge of' in any specific way.

Leaders have a handbook called Instructions for Clothing the Dead Who Have Received Their Endowments. The current general handbook does say "deceased members who were endowed should be buried in temple clothing".

Phaedrus

Not the same as a requirement. Especially since it is the family that makes the decision and NOT the church in this matter.

Since they are probably the ones actually dressing the relative and they are the ones who have control over how the body is handled, it is their option, regardless of church policy. THe church has no power to force anyone to dress a body someone else is 'in charge of' in any specific way.

the language used in the post made from the handbook made it sound like it was a requirement. Why are the deceased dressed in temple clothes?

If the deceased is an endowed, active member of the church I would hope that the non-member or inactive family members would still allow the deceased to be buried in temple clothes.

This is kind of interesting, to me.

I thought (or assumed) one had to have a current Temple Recommend, in order to be buried in Temple clothing..

The handbook states that if possible, an endowed person should be buried in temple clothing. No must, has to be, shall, etc. If an endowed person stopped wearing garments while living, the decision to bury him/her in temple clothing is up to the family. An excommunicated individual who has not had a restoration of blessings, or one who has had his/her name removed from church records may not be buried in temple clothing.

the language used in the post made from the handbook made it sound like it was a requirement. Why are the deceased dressed in temple clothes?

Maybe it's so that during the morning of the first resurrection we can all recognize each other. (D&C 88:96-98)

Phaedrus

Quick question: From what I've heard, more or less, those who are buried in their temple clothing generally have closed casket services. Is this true?

Being a convert, this is something I was wondering about.

Thanks in advance.

Quick question: From what I've heard, more or less, those who are buried in their temple clothing generally have closed casket services. Is this true?

No.

Maybe it's so that during the morning of the first resurrection we can all recognize each other. (D&C 88:96-98)

Phaedrus

If that were they case, they might also specify that we be buried with name tags. Because if I won't recognize someone wearing regular clothes, I'm not sure having them wear Temple clothes will help.

jacobtag.gif

Being a convert, this is something I was wondering about.

Thanks in advance.

No that's not true. They have open casket viewings like everyone else. I've seen some where the deceased is dressed in temple clothing for the viewing, but others where it is added before the casket is closed. It depends on the area, the family and those involved.

Other considerations exist as well. If the body is not in any condition to be dressed, the temple clothing is simply folded and placed in the casket with the remains. Even if the body is to be cremated, then temple clothing is handled identically as if the remains were to be buried. The dressing in temple clothes is supposed to be done by an endowed member of the same sex; if the laws in the jurisdiction forbid the body to be handled by anyone except a licensed mortician, then it is permissible for the professional to do so, but with an endowed member present to ensure that the clothing is properly applied. I think the handbook specifies that the Relief Society president is in charge of seeing to sisters being properly clothed, and the priesthood quorum leader does so in the case of brethren.

As to the absolute necessity of being buried in temple clothing, it should be clear that it's not going to be possible in some cases, especially if no remains can be located. It is certainly not a requirement of salvation, or for that matter exaltation, but it is a desirable practice, a symbolic gesture. I think that it is of roughly the same importance as a child blessing: it's done if it can be, and if not, no harm done.

If that were they case, they might also specify that we be buried with name tags. Because if I won't recognize someone wearing regular clothes, I'm not sure having them wear Temple clothes will help.

jacobtag.gif

Hey! That's my name, too!

Archived