Seriously No Politics ×

The Book Of Mormon Musical

Thinking

Haven't seen it. But evidently this number was performed at the Tony's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tggtPHDmrR8&feature=player_embedded

And in case you didn't know, "The Book of Mormon won nine trophies including best muscial.

What do you think of the clip?

Haven't seen it. But evidently this number was performed at the Tony's.

And in case you didn't know, "The Book of Mormon won nine trophies including best muscial.

Some of the lyrics to "I believe" were discussed by a few others in another thread.

Not yet. Perhaps I'll see it at some point (I work, study, and live in the NYC area). I know one of my friends from undergrad that is LDS was planning on seeing it.

It's interesting to me that this musical is so popular. If anything I'm sure more people will be curious to find out more about the actual Book of Mormon.

As far as "I Believe", I mentioned on another thread that I like the tune, and many of the lyrics are certainly true. Also, as a black Mormon, I laughed at the part about God changing His mind in 1978 about black people.

Rather good and it had the people clapping. I think that the musical will get the people thinking about mormons and some of the beliefs that mormons have. At the end of the day, most faiths can be laughed at when put on the stage. It just happens to be the mormons turn now. However, I wouldn't expect any plays about the muslim, jewish or other faiths to grace the stage of broadway anytime soon.

However, I wouldn't expect any plays about the muslim, jewish or other faiths to grace the stage of broadway anytime soon.

[not pc]That's because those faiths are boring, have no sense of humour and kill people who disagree with them. We don't do that anymore[/not pc]

:crazy:

I rather like the song. I wonder if the song is so popular because of the words "I believe" and people would like to believe in something. Of course I'm not familiar with the rest of the show but no doubt there's some irreverence given the writers. I do think in spite of that it will inspire more interest in what the Mormons actually believe.

If you enjoy getting your beliefs mocked and misrepresented then this is funny as it gets. I quite frankly think this is disgusting and I fail to see how this will bring people to the church or that there will be a curiosity about it.

I have and idea about a play. I am going to call it "Koran". I wonder how well it would do.

Do you think I will win 9 Tony's?

I have and idea about a play. I am going to call it "Koran". I wonder how well it would do.

Better: you'd get your head handed to you. Well, maybe not to you, but surely to your wife.

Lehi

I just read a synopsis on Wikipedia. It is very irreverent and mocking and I have to agree with Fig-bearing Thistle. However, I still think that even bad things can be turned to good and that people if they even see this will want to know more. I'd certainly be curious about this "crazy" religion. For those who don't see it they may still be curious about a religion for which a musical won 9 Tony's.

If you enjoy getting your beliefs mocked and misrepresented then this is funny as it gets. I quite frankly think this is disgusting and I fail to see how this will bring people to the church or that there will be a curiosity about it.

I didn't watch the Tony Awards show, but I did read in the LA Times this morning that Trey Parker thanked Joseph Smith as a "co-writer" of the show during his acceptance speech.

In the end, I do think that this show will pique the interests of the general public regarding actual LDS beliefs.

I was watching "Morning Joe" and they of course had the NY Times critic on. He was all a flutter and glee as to how the gay community and adherents came out and supported a "wonderful" play in which you don't have to be gay to be gay, you can just "act that way". I found it telling that he in effect acknowledged the Tony awards were driven by an agenda which probably helped the play a great deal. It was a trifecta, music, mockery of religion, and of course support for all things gay.

How dare anyone criticize that. The formula and mockery will be used again and again. You will see runs at "The First Vision", "Brigham Young", the list will go on. Members of our church will of course be the center of derision and laughter. It is unfortunate that some of those members will buy into it, and become part of the jeering crowd, and supporting it. All because they want to show... show what? That they can take a hit? Like the kid that doesn't get picked for the cheer squad, they want so badly to be part of it, they will allow themselves to be used...

I can see the questions "How can you belong to a church no one takes seriously?"

And of course many will answer "They can't". Which is as it should be. Those who mocked Christ as He took up the cross, even after they believed, follow the same pattern. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints will forever be ridiculed by some. It is their only weapon, and they can best shave away those of little faith.

In the end, I do think that this show will pique the interests of the general public regarding actual LDS beliefs.

This may be true, but the issue I have is the misrepresentations that one will have to fight through.

This reminds me of my mission in Lynchburg VA and all of the churches watching "The Mormon Puzzle" and how much "good" that did. I know all about your church. Is it true you really believe you get your own planet?

Ok, I guess in all seriousness that is not to big a deal. It is just one more hurtle to get over.

I had a chance once to go to a Serrano exhibit, specifically because of the Christ in a jar of urine. I passed. While we as Saints do not necessarily use the crucifix in worship, I acknowledge the mockery involved and refuse to demean such.

My question I suppose is how the "Mormon Musical" is different from the Serrano exhibit? Or is it? Should we see feces next time?, all for the good of course. Did the Serrano exhibit cause a stir and interest in Christianity or Catholicism?

Can't say I see much good coming out of the play, anymore than I did the Serrano exhibit.

Can't say I see much good coming out of the play, anymore than I did the Serrano exhibit.

You are exactly right. It might stir up more investigation into the church but it won't because of the right reasons.

Don't know if anyone here is interested or not...but today only you can download the original cast recording of "The Book of Mormon" for only $1.99 on amazon.com.

I downloaded it and found it to be hilarious and many of the songs are very very touching. But one word of warning...there are some songs that posters here may find very offensive.

One song of particular interest was the song sung at the Tony's "Believe" Yeah it pokes fun at Mormon's...by publically exposing some of the more bizaar beliefs in Mormonism such as the Garden of Eden being in Jackson county Missouri and Kolob to name jsut a few...but it is also very sweet showing how powerful a belief system can be in motivating a person to do good.

Again if you have thin skin...don't download it...but if you don't mind being made fun of...this is a great addition to your itunes collection.

Oh and for those keeping score...at least last night at the Tony's the Mormon's beat the Catholic's (Sister Act-The Musical)

I can see people going to their Mormon friends, "Do you really believe that _____________ ?"

If it's not something you believe, you can correct it.

If it is something you believe, say yep. And if they say, "Really? Why do/How Can you believe that?", then you have an opening.

Then again, there may be some things that you do believe, and just are embarrassed about, or uncomfortable with talking about. If so, why?

There you go, making sense again. Stop it.

Oh and for those keeping score...at least last night at the Tony's the Mormon's beat the Catholic's (Sister Act-The Musical)

That's kind of interesting. I know when the Sister Act movie came out with Whoopi, there were quite a few Catholics who felt that it was mocking their religion and that anyone who saw it was contributing to said mocking.

Jeffk, did you feel that way about the Sister Act movie as well? Did you agree that it was mocking of religion and therefore should be avoided? It's a sincere question-just trying to understand your point of view better and where you draw your lines.

I think Peterson is both right and wrong. He is right that even negative publicity will increase desire of people to question members. But I think that the reinforcement of negative stereotypes will create a stronger "negative" stance towards the church. He is also right that we as saints must learn to articulate our beliefs. In a society that is all about short term satisfaction, this can be, at times, difficult.

That's kind of interesting. I know when the Sister Act movie came out with Whoopi, there were quite a few Catholics who felt that it was mocking their religion and that anyone who saw it was contributing to said mocking.

Jeffk, did you feel that way about the Sister Act movie as well? Did you agree that it was mocking of religion and therefore should be avoided? It's a sincere question-just trying to understand your point of view better and where you draw your lines.

I watched it thinking it was something different. I did not like the way it treated nuns. I should have walked out the first time, but didn't. I won't allow it to be seen at our home because I know nuns who worked very hard in the inner city schools and who have had great success and AREN'T the naive self centered characters they portrayed.

I still cringe when I see the one "Blues Brothers" scene with the "penguin". But I haven't seen it out.

I just feel that I should give the same respect to other religions that I would want given to the one I follow. One can mock the foibles of Mormon society without mocking the religion. One can mock the foibles of Catholic societies (I think of the "Quiet Man") without mocking the religion.

Archived