Us Airways Flight 1549 - Miracle On The Hudson

I used to travel quite a bit, usually 4 - 6 flights per week for nearly 2 years. US Airways Flight 1549 has always intrigued me on how well the crew, especially the pilot Chesley "Sully" Sullenberger and Co-Pilot Jeff Skiles along with controller Patrick Harten worked together in this crisis. This video demonstrates exactly how much was going on in that emergency.

The entire crew of Flight 1549 was later awarded the Master's Medal of the Guild of Air Pilots and Air Navigators. The award citation read, "This emergency ditching and evacuation, with the loss of no lives, is a heroic and unique aviation achievement." It has been described as "the most successful ditching in aviation history."

Edited by Messenger

Wow. As impressed as I am with the accomplishments of Capt. Sullenberger, his crew, and the ATCs :good:, I'm almost equally impressed with the quality of this simulation. Do you have any information on who did it and how they did it?

P.S.: I don't know if there are any "Dilbert" fans out there, but shortly after this incident, Scott Adams ran a strip in tribute to Capt. Sullenberger: "Ladies and gentlemen, we've lost both engines, but not to worry: I think I see a koi pond down there ..." :rofl: Classic!

Edited by Kenngo1969

Ken, thanks. We all need heroes, and we all need to be heroes once in a while. This story has always impressed me. While the controller was trying to get him to land somewhere else and being removed from the cockpit, he really didn’t realize how bad the situation was. They say that, after running many alternate simulations, he could never have landed at any other airport and would have crashed into the ground if he attempted to do so,

Sully, being at the controls, was open to options, but in the end made his own decision for what he was responsible for. Isn’t it a wonderful thing that he didn’t yield that responsibility?

To me it’s a story in understanding our stewardship and always doing what we are inspired to do.