Revelations That Hit The Fan

Duncan

Have you ever had what you thought to be a genuine revelation from up above to do a certain thing or to take a certain course of action and then you do it and it turns out to be a dismal failure? What do you may then of that revelation and would you be so trusting in future revelations?

Have you ever had what you thought to be a genuine revelation from up above to do a certain thing or to take a certain course of action and then you do it and it turns out to be a dismal failure? What do you may then of that revelation and would you be so trusting in future revelations?

You have to be careful with this one. I think that you think that somehow your life will be better if you follow the voice of God. Many of the prophets followed the voice of God and were killed. So following the voice is its own reward. Don't couple the voice with some expectation of the flesh. If indeed you followed the voice and bad things happened then that was the lesson you needed to learn. It can be that simple.

Zion's Camp might be considered a dismal failure given the great sacrifices and hardships and then in the end the failure to restore the saints to their homes. However, it was a proving ground and as summarized here Zion's Camp served the Lord's purpose:

Zion’s Camp chastened, polished, and spiritually refined many of the Lord’s servants. The observant and dedicated received invaluable practical training and spiritual experience that served them well in later struggles for the Church. The hardships and challenges experienced over its thousand miles provided invaluable training for Brigham Young, Heber C. Kimball, and others who led the exiled Saints from Missouri to Illinois and from Nauvoo across the plains to the Rocky Mountains. When a skeptic asked what he had gained from his journey, Brigham Young promptly replied, “I would not exchange the knowledge I have received this season for the whole of Geauga County.”

Deborah took the words out of my mouth (and Franktalk mirrored them as well).

I think it's important to remember that God does not order our lives so that we, if we listen to Him, will avoid trials and hardships. He orders our lives, if we listen to Him, so that the outcome of our lives will be us becoming like Christ. Because opposition is required for us to learn and grow, we can't expect His revelations to always steer us clear of such. In fact, sometimes it will steer right into it, in my experience.

Nephi and his family were led safely through the most fertile parts of the wilderness, not around the wilderness altogether. God will keep us to the most 'fertile' parts of our trials and tribulations if we listen, but the trials and tribulations will still be there.

There is a difference between doing what we believe we have the confirmation of the spirit to do, and believing that following the spirit means it will turn out like we think it will/should turn out.

And yes, it is hard to trust again when you can't see how it worked together for your good in other times you have sincerely tried to follow God. But that just means that you got or didn't get what YOU thought you were to get from the experience, and not necessarily what HE planned for you to get.

Deborah took the words out of my mouth (and Franktalk mirrored them as well).

I think it's important to remember that God does not order our lives so that we, if we listen to Him, will avoid trials and hardships. He orders our lives, if we listen to Him, so that the outcome of our lives will be us becoming like Christ. Because opposition is required for us to learn and grow, we can't expect His revelations to always steer us clear of such. In fact, sometimes it will steer right into it, in my experience.

Nephi and his family were led safely through the most fertile parts of the wilderness, not around the wilderness altogether. God will keep us to the most 'fertile' parts of our trials and tribulations if we listen, but the trials and tribulations will still be there.

Yeah, I can see that, what about people you wonder what their trials are, like it seems they are having a sweet ride of it! I think of a girl I know who was born to a stable LDS family her Pops was a very succesful dentist, stake president to boot. So she grew up here and at 16 won the ford world super modelling contest and got 250 big ones so she was independantly wealthy on her own accord and to top it all off she married some guy who was a millionaire by age of 30 because of his family and I just wonder what exactley are her trials in life? Given thouh her dad has the personality of pancake but still!

Yeah, I can see that, what about people you wonder what their trials are, like it seems they are having a sweet ride of it! I think of a girl I know who was born to a stable LDS family her Pops was a very succesful dentist, stake president to boot. So she grew up here and at 16 won the ford world super modelling contest and got 250 big ones so she was independantly wealthy on her own accord and to top it all off she married some guy who was a millionaire by age of 30 because of his family and I just wonder what exactley are her trials in life? Given thouh her dad has the personality of pancake but still!

Considering how it was likely pride that was what caused Satan, one of the noble ones in the preexistence, to fall to the lowest depths plus Christ's comment about how difficult it was for a rich man to enter the kingdom of Heaven (camel through the eye of a needle is not near impossible, but impossible), her trial may be a purely spiritual one but in the long run isn't that the most important type of trial that we all have to go through anyway?

I just wonder what exactley are her trials in life?

I remember years ago a woman in R.S. saying how great her life was but she was concerned because she knew trials come sooner or later. And that is true. Plus remember you are only seeing what is on the surface. Many years ago people would come up to me and tell me what a perfect family we were. I was absolutely miserable and had a husband who was mentally abusive. Not everyone shows their trials to others.

I remember years ago a woman in R.S. saying how great her life was but she was concerned because she knew trials come sooner or later. And that is true. Plus remember you are only seeing what is on the surface. Many years ago people would come up to me and tell me what a perfect family we were. I was absolutely miserable and had a husband who was mentally abusive. Not everyone shows their trials to others.

yeah, that is true, hadn't thought of that! sorry to hear abour past

I agree with Franktalk, Deborah, and Bluebell. At the same time, it's a real possibility that what we presume to be revelation can be wrong and lead us astray. We genuinely have to come to recognise the voice of God as distinct to the voice of our selfish desires. How does one, then, tell the difference between a false revelation and a true one which nevertheless leads us through the wilderness? For me, the difference is in the peace it brings. If the Lord is walking with me in the wilderness, I feel His peace, and I feel His strength. If, on the other hand, I'm in a wilderness of my own choosing, I notice the lack of those things, and I want to run away very fast and find them again.

I agree with Franktalk, Deborah, and Bluebell. At the same time, it's a real possibility that what we presume to be revelation can be wrong and lead us astray. We genuinely have to come to recognise the voice of God as distinct to the voice of our selfish desires. How does one, then, tell the difference between a false revelation and a true one which nevertheless leads us through the wilderness? For me, the difference is in the peace it brings. If the Lord is walking with me in the wilderness, I feel His peace, and I feel His strength. If, on the other hand, I'm in a wilderness of my own choosing, I notice the lack of those things, and I want to run away very fast and find them again.

sometimes you just honestly think you are doing the right things and it turns out to be a disaster, it is hard to see what is going on when times like that are upon you dealing with the right decisions and then wondering what went wrong

I agree... & well put.
I also had what I thought was a spiritual feeling for something that intellectually' date=' I knew was wrong, yet I felt the spirit about it. It was so confusing! Yet, it helped me understand that when we [i']feel the Spirit, it's feeling or resonating with the love & higher goodness within us. That's all! We make up the details of how to translate it, & sometimes we get it wrong. It's like our subconscious - you know how crazy that is by some of your dreams, right? Yet, it's our God-given process of managing all of the mental stimulus we've received. In fact, Einstein would sometimes get to a problem he couldn't figure out, sleep on it, then get his answer.

So, as HambaTuhan mentioned, spiritual guidance is always for our good - constructive, never destructive. Spiritual guidance is concerned with the big picture, not just what we want NOW. We need to use our intellect in harmony with the Spirit & intuition, to decide how best to interpret those spiritual feelings. "Study it out in your mind"- (based on what you've learned through study & experience). Consider different angels... then pray to ask, pray to listen... then do the process again if necessary, until it becomes more clear. There are times when a thought comes into our mind that is something we normally don't think of, which comes back into our mind a few times until we experiment on it (faith) & then realize how it was a key to helping us in some way. Sometimes, we just act... & that's good, even if things don't work out - because it could be that it was a needed learning experience.

Considering how it was likely pride that was what caused Satan, one of the noble ones in the preexistence, to fall to the lowest depths plus Christ's comment about how difficult it was for a rich man to enter the kingdom of Heaven (camel through the eye of a needle is not near impossible, but impossible), her trial may be a purely spiritual one but in the long run isn't that the most important type of trial that we all have to go through anyway?

This is true... during my inactive years when I was leading such a seemingly charmed and comfortable but worldly life, my mom used to tell me that she feared one day something would happen that would bring me to my knees...

Little did she know that it was her sudden death, and my holding her in my arms, hearing the ambulance coming, but seeing the light go from her eyes, knowing she had passed through the veil... that indeed brought me to my knees. At that moment I knew that all my worldly trappings were nothing... my dear faithful mom was suddenly gone and all I had learned spiritually came rushing back... that is what spun me around and sent me back to the Church, and I've never looked back.

GG

Absolutiely. I insisted that the Lord give me a Yes answer when asking whether I should marry my first wife, and insisted upon that answer long enough that the Lord finally gave in and said go ahead. The marriage was a disaster. I know that the Lord was giving me enough rope to hang myself, because I asked for the rope, hung it around my neck, and jumped off. Figurately, obviously.

I do believe that the Lord finally gave Joseph permission to let Martin Harris take those 116 manuscript pages after Joseph insisted upon a Yes answer. The Lord gave him enough rope to hang himself, and he did.

Just be careful when insisting upon a course of action in the face of the Lord's negative advice.

i trust the Lord implicitly. I know why he said Yes.

Absolutiely. I insisted that the Lord give me a Yes answer when asking whether I should marry my first wife, and insisted upon that answer long enough that the Lord finally gave in and said go ahead. The marriage was a disaster. I know that the Lord was giving me enough rope to hang myself, because I asked for the rope, hung it around my neck, and jumped off. Figurately, obviously.

I do believe that the Lord finally gave Joseph permission to let Martin Harris take those 116 manuscript pages after Joseph insisted upon a Yes answer. The Lord gave him enough rope to hang himself, and he did.

Just be careful when insisting upon a course of action in the face of the Lord's negative advice.

i trust the Lord implicitly. I know why he said Yes.

Thank you! what if you were hesitant about it and he still said yes?

Archived