Seriously No Politics ×

Ring Exchange Advice?

Hello again….

So the wedding is almost a week away, and the baptism is the day after. We just met with the branch president who is performing the ceremony and reviewed how LDS civil ceremonies go. I hadn't realized there was no ring exchange. He suggested we do "something" after the vow part. But he's never been to a civil marriage or any wedding outside the temple, so he was stumped to help. Understandably. I'm curious to see what ideas people have or what others have done? I have a few ideas myself… but just looking for experience that I might copy for myself :) Thanks! W2K

Hello again….

So the wedding is almost a week away, and the baptism is the day after. We just met with the branch president who is performing the ceremony and reviewed how LDS civil ceremonies go. I hadn't realized there was no ring exchange. He suggested we do "something" after the vow part. But he's never been to a civil marriage or any wedding outside the temple, so he was stumped to help. Understandably. I'm curious to see what ideas people have or what others have done? I have a few ideas myself… but just looking for experience that I might copy for myself :) Thanks! W2K

Congratulations on both accounts!

Not the exact situation, but we did a short ring exchange after the Temple sealing for my wife's family. We had my uncle give some thoughts (Gospel, family and marriage related) with the mothers coming up to be recognized and then we did the ring exchange.

If the Temple is the goal for next year, maybe you can include the families (if they aren't members) more for the wedding so they won't feel entirely left out for the Temple sealing.

We are having a sand unity ceremony where a wedding participant will narrate what that's all about. Myself, the groom and the kids all picked colors to unite in a vase, "blending" our families, and we are thinking about adding the ring exchange after that.

Congratulations!!!! I think it can be seamless. Immediately after "I now pronounce you Husband and Wife" or whatever the Bish says at the end, he can say something like "Wants2know and Mr. Wants2know desire to commemorate their marriage covenant by exchanging wedding rings. The tradition of exchanging wedding rings began......etc. etc. etc." Then, you each say something beautiful to each other, put rings on each other and kiss each other!

Good luck!

The poor Branch president is so nervous, I don't dare ask him to do anything that isn't written in the handbook! I think my future brother in law will do the sand unity and then say something to that effect seashell.

There is no reason why you can't exchange rings as part of your wedding ceremony. I live in Ireland where civil marriage has to take place first as well. Marriages performed in the church here include an exchange of rings after the marriage vows have been taken and just before the "I now pronounce you...."

Hope you have a happy wedding!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Your best bet is to follow the Church's nudgings on this. The best idea is to save ring bearing for the temple ceremony. This will provide motivation for them to investigate and be baptized quickly to prepare for the sealing, so they can also be at your wedding.

It's important enough that the Church bans couples who receive civil marriages from the temple to include their families for one year- the same max discipline they'd receive for premarital sex. A civil marriage in the morning and the sealing that afternoon is a sin that must be punished to the maximum possible degree, and thus it is for all members to this day. It's important to follow the Church's desire for ring bearing and marriage to take place only in places where parents can participate if they are full-tithe payers with current temple recommends.

Your best bet is to follow the Church's nudgings on this. The best idea is to save ring bearing for the temple ceremony. This will provide motivation for them to investigate and be baptized quickly to prepare for the sealing, so they can also be at your wedding.

It's important enough that the Church bans couples who receive civil marriages from the temple to include their families for one year- the same max discipline they'd receive for premarital sex. A civil marriage in the morning and the sealing that afternoon is a sin that must be punished to the maximum possible degree, and thus it is for all members to this day. It's important to follow the Church's desire for ring bearing and marriage to take place only in places where parents can participate if they are full-tithe payers with current temple recommends.

[/qu

There are other countries in the world besides the USA, and in most of them Temple marriages are not legally recognised by their governments. In such countries couples are required to have a civil marriage, which can be performed in the LDS chapel. The couple are then required to go to their closest temple as soon as possible after the civil ceremony. In some cases this may only be possible the next day or so. Those couples do not have to wait a year before they can be sealed in the temple. Only couples who CHOOSE to not go to the temple straight away, or be married in the temple where that is legally accepted have to wait a year after a civil marriage.

There are other countries in the world besides the USA, and in most of them Temple marriages are not legally recognised by their governments. In such countries couples are required to have a civil marriage, which can be performed in the LDS chapel. The couple are then required to go to their closest temple as soon as possible after the civil ceremony. In some cases this may only be possible the next day or so. Those couples do not have to wait a year before they can be sealed in the temple. Only couples who CHOOSE to not go to the temple straight away, or be married in the temple where that is legally accepted have to wait a year after a civil marriage.

Ignore wcd's comment in this thread, in another thread he admits to trying to get banned by the mods and that he no longer sees himself as really LDS. His types of comments don't belong here in Social Hall, but on the main forum.

Edited by calmoriah

Ignore wcd's comment in this thread, in another thread he admits to trying to get banned by the mods and that he no longer sees himself as really LDS. His types of comments don't belong here in Social Hall, but on the main forum.

Gotcha!! Thanks!

Glad you added that info. I was thinking the whole comment seemed so out of place in this thread. I kept rereading it trying to understand.

Just in case anyone wants to know, we did the ring exchange at the end of the Sand Unity narration. It worked out quite well. I'm now happily hitched and baptized. All in a few days time. Whew… now for a good nights sleep….

Just in case anyone wants to know, we did the ring exchange at the end of the Sand Unity narration. It worked out quite well. I'm now happily hitched and baptized. All in a few days time. Whew… now for a good nights sleep….

Congrats... :yahoo:"Sister" Wants2Know.

Edited by Bill “Papa” Lee