Seriously No Politics ×

The First Transfer…For My Young Elder.

My oldest daughter and my youngest son (both of whom served or are serving) hat change. They like everything to remain on an even keel. Today is his first transfer; I could sense a little apprehension on his part about the move. But he is doing very well otherwise getting into the flow of things. I am proud of my daughter and son for facing such fears…

What advice would you give for young Elder Lee?

My first transfer I had to go it alone in France, though the train station in Lyon with only about 10 minutes between my arrival and my destination train's departure. So I ran as hard as I could hoofing it with the 70 or so pounds of my life as it was in the couple of suitcases.

When I got to the new place I was terrified, but that fear helped me focus all the more on the Savior, as He was the reason I was there. Each successive transfer came with the same feelings of fear and nervousness, though less intense and lasting for shorter times the longer I was out there.

I don't know that young Elder Lee is the type to receive advice and be glad of it. Mostly I think humans just want to feel validated while they work it out on their own. As such, the best advice I could give or be given to myself in this situation is just encouragement. He will work through his fear.

I can't give any actual advice per se, but I certainly can give encouragement... and the admonishment to remember, always remember, that he is on the Lord's errand. If he puts his trust in the Lord and remains close through the Spirit, the Lord will bless him with inner strength and guidance.

Certainly he will feel apprehension, and when he does, that's when he needs to really draw close to the Lord in prayer and know that his prayer is heard...

GG

My oldest daughter and my youngest son (both of whom served or are serving) hat change. They like everything to remain on an even keel. Today is his first transfer; I could sense a little apprehension on his part about the move. But he is doing very well otherwise getting into the flow of things. I am proud of my daughter and son for facing such fears…

I always hated transfers. What helped was keeping a sense of humor.

How long has he been in his first area? I served in my first area for nearly an entire year (11 months.) I loved (and still love) my first area; but by the time a transfer finally came, I was READY for a change. It was in my second area that everything (language, companionships and teaching ability) all started to “fit” together. I had a testimony before I began my mission—for sure--but I experienced spiritual rebirth in that wonderful second German city.

Where is he serving and where did they transfer him?

How long has he been in his first area? I served in my first area for nearly an entire year (11 months.) I loved (and still love) my first area; but by the time a transfer finally came, I was READY for a change. It was in my second area that everything (language, companionships and teaching ability) all started to “fit” together. I had a testimony before I began my mission—for sure--but I experienced spiritual rebirth in that wonderful second German city.

4 Months.

After a few transfers, I actually looked forward to learning something new from each companion. On my first transfer, I was really looking forward to it because my companion just wanted to sit around all day in the apartment or shop downtown. We ended up compromising and worked half a day and stayed in the apartment or shopped the rest of the day. It was a remote area of Australia, may hours south of Perth and we didn’t have any regular zone leaders to check up on us. We only saw them once. I was really ready to make up for lost time on my 2nd companionship, and he worked as hard as I wanted.

One thing I learned with all the companionships, when a companion has a problem, you do too! You may have overcome sleeping in, being disorganized, an so on, but when your companion has a problem, you are attached at the hip and naturally have the same problem as he does. I suppose it was a good lesson for learning on how to deal with marriage as far as working through problems. Although, after a while, companionships learn this process each time and get better at it - Its more difficult when you have a first time companion and are training him.

But, I shouldn’t be too hard on my first companion, as we still talk via email. He had other strengths that I didn't realize at the time when we were together. I later learned to appreciate his sense of humor, kindness, and the way he would listen to people we would meet.