A Book Callout

Paddy

I am in between Uni semesters at the moment and I want to sink my teeth into a good book on LDS Church History. I am looking for something that covers the early beginnings and the Nauvoo period. Does anyone have any good recommendations...??

Thanks

Paddy

I am in between Uni semesters at the moment and I want to sink my teeth into a good book on LDS Church History. I am looking for something that covers the early beginnings and the Nauvoo period. Does anyone have any good recommendations...??

Thanks

Paddy

I am no historian, but at the risk of revealing my lack of sophistication and training:

I suggest this book My link. Its historical scope goes beyond Nauvoo, and may therefore be insufficiently "meaty" for you. At a minimum, I think its huge bibilography might guide you further.

I also found this book to be very interesting: My link

Thanks

Paddy

I am a bit surprised you haven't received additional suggestions. If you don't mind, I will add another from me: Lucy Mack Smith's History

Yeah, Bushman's Rough Stone Rolling is in a league of its own for early Mormonism, especially if you want to just know the history. (As opposed to specific themes.) If you want a thick book devoted to just Nauvoo, I'd suggest Glen Leonard's Nauvoo.

If you want to branch out into more books, I suggest this list, which I argue includes the most important 25 books in Mormon history, as well as this list, which includes the most important articles.

Thanks for your suggestions. I have read RSR and thought it was great. It has piqued my interest in other church history books.

Thanks again

Paddy

Here are a few more suggestions: