Paddy Posted June 6, 2011 Posted June 6, 2011 I am in between Uni semesters at the moment and I want to sink my teeth into a good book on LDS Church History. I am looking for something that covers the early beginnings and the Nauvoo period. Does anyone have any good recommendations...??ThanksPaddy
Okrahomer Posted June 6, 2011 Posted June 6, 2011 I am in between Uni semesters at the moment and I want to sink my teeth into a good book on LDS Church History. I am looking for something that covers the early beginnings and the Nauvoo period. Does anyone have any good recommendations...??ThanksPaddyI am no historian, but at the risk of revealing my lack of sophistication and training:I suggest this book My link. Its historical scope goes beyond Nauvoo, and may therefore be insufficiently "meaty" for you. At a minimum, I think its huge bibilography might guide you further.I also found this book to be very interesting: My link
Okrahomer Posted June 8, 2011 Posted June 8, 2011 I am in between Uni semesters at the moment and I want to sink my teeth into a good book on LDS Church History. I am looking for something that covers the early beginnings and the Nauvoo period. Does anyone have any good recommendations...??ThanksPaddyI am a bit surprised you haven't received additional suggestions. If you don't mind, I will add another from me: Lucy Mack Smith's History
Joseph Antley Posted June 8, 2011 Posted June 8, 2011 If you haven't already, Richard Bushman's Rough Stone Rolling is an obvious must. 1
Emerson Posted June 8, 2011 Posted June 8, 2011 Yeah, Bushman's Rough Stone Rolling is in a league of its own for early Mormonism, especially if you want to just know the history. (As opposed to specific themes.) If you want a thick book devoted to just Nauvoo, I'd suggest Glen Leonard's Nauvoo.If you want to branch out into more books, I suggest this list, which I argue includes the most important 25 books in Mormon history, as well as this list, which includes the most important articles.
Paddy Posted June 8, 2011 Author Posted June 8, 2011 Thanks for your suggestions. I have read RSR and thought it was great. It has piqued my interest in other church history books. Thanks againPaddy
Nevo Posted June 8, 2011 Posted June 8, 2011 Thanks for your suggestions. I have read RSR and thought it was great. It has piqued my interest in other church history books. Thanks againPaddyHere are a few more suggestions:Mormon Enigma: Emma Hale Smith, by Linda King Newell and Valeen Tippetts AveryEarly Mormon Documents (5 volumes), by Dan VogelHearken, O Ye People: The Historical Setting of Joseph Smith's Ohio Revelations, by Mark StakerThe 1838 Mormon War in Missouri, by Stephen C. LeSueurNauvoo: Kingdom on the Mississippi, by Robert Bruce Flanders
David T Posted June 9, 2011 Posted June 9, 2011 Hearken, O Ye People: The Historical Setting of Joseph Smith's Ohio Revelations, by Mark StakerI second this. This book should be essential reading for anyone with any degree of interest in all in Mormon history, and understanding the original intended context of most of the D&C.
Recommended Posts