Hanging By A Thread

cdowis

Whether you believe in the authenticity of this prophecy, I find this rather interesting development in the court case HERE regarding Obamacare, that I had never considered:

President Obama's solicitor general, defending the national health care law on Wednesday, told a federal appeals court that Americans who didn't like the individual mandate could always avoid it by choosing to earn less money.

But more interesting,

The problem with the “health care is unique” argument – and this is me talking – is that it just creates an opening for future Congresses to regulate all sorts of things by either a) arguing that a particular market is also special or b) finding a way to tie a given regulation to health care.

For instance, the example that's come up often is the idea of a law in which government forces individuals to eat broccoli.

During the Sixth Circuit argument, Kaytal said that such an example doesn't apply, because if you show up at a grocery store, nobody has to give you broccoli, whereas that is the case with health care and hospital emergency rooms.

Yet that argument assumes that Congress passes such a law as a regulation of the food market. What if the law was made as part of a regulation of the health care market? It isn't difficult to see where that argument can go.

The broccoli example is really a proxy for a broader argument about whether the government can compel individuals to engage in healthy behavior – it could just as well be eating salad, or exercising. There's no doubt that a huge driver of our nation's health care costs are illnesses linked to bad behavior. People who are overweight and out of shape cost more because they have increased risk of heart disease, diabetes, and so on. Those increased costs get passed on to all of us, because government pays for nearly half of the nation's health care expenses, a number that's set to grow under the new health care law. Is it really unrealistic to believe that future Congresses, looking for ways to control health care costs, could compel healthy behavior in some way? More pertinently, is there any reason why that would be unconstiutional under the precedent that would be set if the individual mandate is upheld?

With most experts expecting the case to go before the Supreme Court, it seems the biggest obstacle for the Obama administration is figuring out where power would be limited if the mandate were upheld. Those challenging the law have made a clear and understandable limit by drawing a distinction between regulating activity and regulating inactivity (i.e. the decision not to purchase insurance). But simply saying the health care market is unique doesn't actually create a very clear or understandable limit to Congressional power.

Now, we do have one or two LDS running for president, and another one who is over the Senate. Are we beginning to see the fulfillment of this prophecy? The individual mandate appears to open the door to regulating everything that we do, as argued in court and even the defenders of the law have tacitly admitted it.

(no political comments, please)

no it is not the fulment. as one of the lds person, was essentially the seed for such a thing to happen. secondly, as was discussed in another thread, i believe the constitution has always hung by a thread, and the Ideal that is the United States has tarnished its image since the early days of the republic. Consider that it was a LDS person or at least byu law school graduate that authored the torture memos. Also consider that many at least two president current and most former use some sort of signature instruction on what parts of law to enforce or how to go about enforcing said laws.

if anything, if the "white horse prophecy" is true, then it will be good persons united together and having enough influence to stop the downwardspiral that started at Americas inception.

if anything, if the "white horse prophecy" is true, then it will be good persons united together and having enough influence to stop the downwardspiral that started at Americas inception.

The "White horse prophecy" is more than likely a fake imo, this is separate from the "hanging by a thread" comments which IIRC got embedded in the other (perhaps to give it more credibility?) The two should be kept separate in discussion because of this difference.

http://en.fairmormon.org/White_horse

The individual mandate appears to open the door to regulating everything that we do, as argued in court and even the defenders of the law have tacitly admitted it.

I don't see how a mandate to buy insurance is any different, bottom line, than the existing mandates to invest money in Social Security and Medicare.

And none of them threatens the US Constitution.

I don't see how a mandate to buy insurance is any different, bottom line, than the existing mandates to invest money in Social Security and Medicare.

And none of them threatens the US Constitution.

medicare I don't mind, will I ever use it, most likely not, so its like tithing money of sorts. SS is an investment in the future that I will most likely take back.

health insurance, only needed it 2 times in the past decade. forcing me to spend money on a private enterprise to line some fat cats pocket....well, I take issue with that. I would much rather have a system like canada or the UK or most of Europe rather than being to line some horse rearend pocket just because that horse rearend bought a house for representatives.

Archived