Priesthood Ordinances Prior To Elijah'S Visit

Duncan

That's all well and good; my other thread was sparked by the Church's teaching that "Those entering into [polygamy] had to be authorized to do so, and the marriages had to be performed through the sealing power of the priesthood."

I think the comment prior to your quote---"Church leaders regulated the practice"---indicates there was development of understanding over time.

http://lds.org/manual/doctrine-and-covenants-and-church-history-gospel-doctrine-teachers-manual/lesson-31-sealed-for-time-and-for-all-eternity?lang=eng

I think the comment prior to your quote---"Church leaders regulated the practice"---indicates there was development of understanding over time.

http://lds.org/manual/doctrine-and-covenants-and-church-history-gospel-doctrine-teachers-manual/lesson-31-sealed-for-time-and-for-all-eternity?lang=eng

If you didn't have to believe that there were plural marriages performed without the sealing power, I'm not so sure the previous sentence indicates that.

Honestly, I suspect whoever wrote that blurb in the lesson manual was more concerned about the FLDS and the ways in which modern LDS can be influenced by the arguments FLDS present about polygamy. In that case, Church leader endorsement and legitimate sealing power are paramount concerns.

If you didn't have to believe that there were plural marriages performed without the sealing power, I'm not so sure the previous sentence indicates that.

Not sure what you mean here.

Honestly, I suspect whoever wrote that blurb in the lesson manual was more concerned about the FLDS and the ways in which modern LDS can be influenced by the arguments FLDS present about polygamy. In that case, Church leader endorsement and legitimate sealing power are paramount concerns.

More than likely.

Archived