Seriously No Politics ×

Wedding Coming Up…. Ceremony Ideas?

Our wedding is coming up June 17th (what happened to all my time????) Anyway…. the branch President is marrying us. (I'm getting baptized the next day) I haven't spoken "details" with the president yet… I'm wondering if anyone has any tips or has seen some nice civil Mormon ceremonies and wouldn't mind passing them along? I'm interested if there are readings from the BoM that anyone would recommend? Things like that. Most of the guests will not be LDS, and probably have never met any LDS. Thanks! W2K

Our wedding is coming up June 17th (what happened to all my time????) Anyway…. the branch President is marrying us. (I'm getting baptized the next day) I haven't spoken "details" with the president yet… I'm wondering if anyone has any tips or has seen some nice civil Mormon ceremonies and wouldn't mind passing them along? I'm interested if there are readings from the BoM that anyone would recommend? Things like that. Most of the guests will not be LDS, and probably have never met any LDS. Thanks! W2K

I would have to say that the BEST ever wedding reception and wedding I have ever been to in all my born days was at our Stake centre held in the Gymnasium, it may sound tacky with basketball hoops and a life size portrait of me at one end but the place was like a wonderland and you can take pictures there and seriously best one yet! best of luck and congrats!

Edited by Duncan

Thank you. The original plan was to use the chapel, we are a branch and don't have a gymnasium and I didn 't think it could hold all the guests. So we are having the ceremony outside in a beautiful setting, and then at the same venue, the reception is inside. I want a "religious" piece to the ceremony, I don't want it to be a dry civil ceremony… I'm sure the president will have some ideas… but I was curious if this crowd had any experiences they wanted to share with me!

Thank you. The original plan was to use the chapel, we are a branch and don't have a gymnasium and I didn 't think it could hold all the guests. So we are having the ceremony outside in a beautiful setting, and then at the same venue, the reception is inside. I want a "religious" piece to the ceremony, I don't want it to be a dry civil ceremony… I'm sure the president will have some ideas… but I was curious if this crowd had any experiences they wanted to share with me!

oh well, in that case! I know you can't take pictures if you have it in the chapel so anywhere else is a better choice if you want pictures of that part of the proceedings.

Hello W2K...

I'm so thrilled to hear not only about your wedding, but also your baptism the next day. How wonderful...

Since you're going to have the wedding outside(?) in a lovely setting, that means you can have candles (assuming the wind doesn't blow too hard). The way you decorate can enhance the beauty of the setting... I'm thinking of an vine-covered arbor where you would stand... I know some couples incorporate their own vows (they don't have to be lengthy, but from the heart) along with the usual wording.

I'll have to give some thought to some scriptures that might be appropriate.

This is exciting...

GG

GG,

Yes! I sent you a message about this…. guess you didn't get it. I didn't know about no pictures in the chapel. That would have been a bummer. And yes GG, the ceremony is outside under a gazebo, by a pond with a fountain. It's lovely. My dad is giving me a hard time about wearing a tux, but that's been pretty much the only glitch in this gig. Very exciting.

This is great news, W2K. :friends:

Depending on your budget, you might want to check with the RS president to see if there is anyone in the ward who does flowers or cakes that might be willing to give you a good deal or even do something in trade.

Since it is outside, you might want to think about using potted plants (both indoor and outside) if you want to dress it up with more greenery, then you can take them home and replant them in your yard or send them home as gifts for those who have helped you.

I had a friend who used those metal crooks to hang lanterns on to mark the pathway the bride would enter on. If the ceremony is during the day, you could hang flowers pots on them.

see for some examples: http://www.google.co...d%3Divns&itbs=1

If you are going for a more 'fun' reception, I love floating balloons as centerpieces, I've seen one where they had three ballons floating above a circular mirrors, the balloons were weighted by another small balloon filled with sand and then glitter of large and small sizes were sprinkled around them with the ends of the ribbons tied to the floating ballons curled and laying 'tumbled' on the mirror as well.

What are your colours and preferred flowers? Or have you got plenty of ideas for the reception and it's just the ceremony part you are wondering about?

Now the ceremony itself.....there are some websites out there dealing with LDS weddings, they might have some ideas on civil ceremonies as well. IIRC, there is a set piece for the person doing the marrying, but IIRC the bride and groom can also give some personal vows as well, especially if it's not being done in a chapel. There are some specific guidelines so be sure and check with the branch president to see what he is thinking of so everyone knows what to expect.

Edited by calmoriah

Did some searching and found one person recommending the book "Planning LDS Weddings & Receptions" by Lois F. Worlton and Opal D. Jasinski, has a part on nontemple weddings apparently.

GG,

Yes! I sent you a message about this…. guess you didn't get it. I didn't know about no pictures in the chapel. That would have been a bummer. And yes GG, the ceremony is outside under a gazebo, by a pond with a fountain. It's lovely. My dad is giving me a hard time about wearing a tux, but that's been pretty much the only glitch in this gig. Very exciting.

Hello W2K...

I did get your message and tried to reply but you still can't receive any more PMs... I think you need to check to see if you've run out of space and need to delete some of the older messages, etc.

I'm going to try a PM again.

GG, doing the happy dance for W2K

The BP will have access to the simply ceremony of exchanging vows that is in the church handbook. But there is nothing there about readings. What you would want to do is to decide with your fiance if there is music you want sung or scriptures you want read (can't think right off of any wedding scriptures in the BofM: my guess is that 1 Cor 13 is the best you get on the subject for Mormons too. But you and your fiance may have favorite scriptures that describe what you want to be with each other in relationship to Jesus Christ. Once you and your fiance have a plan, take it to the BP for approval. My guess is that he'll have no problem with it, so long as it is doctrinally correct.

Hello W2K...

It's been so many years since I've attended a protestant type wedding, but it used to be there was a song that some had a soloist sing that was beautiful and I can't remember the title or words, but it was almost spiritual in feeling, not a modern-day love song...

I've been trying to think of an appropriate scripture... the only one might be a little too heavy, and that was Ruth's "Entreat me not to leave thee... where you go I will go...your people will by my people, and your God will be my God." A little too much...

I'm going to try and find what that song is, and possibly an appropriate poem. Do you have a favorite poem that might work? (Do any of the other "oldies" remember the song I'm referring to?)

More later... GG

EDIT TO ADD...

I found it! The title is "Because"... you can Google it by searching: Wedding Songs, Vocal - Because

I think you can listen to it and find the music and lyrics. It's an old fashioned song, not like the songs that I saw while searching that were more popular so to speak. The words of "Because" may be a little too old fashioned for your attitude and taste... I suggest it because it is beautiful music suitable for a more spiritual tone.

Usually a soloist with semi-classical voice sings it before the ceremony begins, as part of the prelude music and just before the processional. See what you think.... :)

Edited by Garden Girl

No BoM reading…but the Book of Ruth;

Even though Ruth is speaking to her Mother-in-law after her husband died, it is still great words.

BTW, read the entire Chapter…

Ruth 1: 16-17

...Intreat me not to leave thee, or to return from following after thee: for whither thou goest, I will go; and where thou lodgest, I will lodge: thy people shall be my people, and thy God my God:

Where thou diest, will I die, and there will I be buried:...

Memorize it and spring it on him, and congratulations :yahoo:

Edited by Bill “Papa” Lee

Congratulations! I hope it's the best two days ever. :D

• 2 weeks later...

This is the third time I've tried to update everyone. I keep losing the text!

Ceremony details are still a little uncertain, but I did hire a harpist to play some pieces like pachelbel's canon in D, Air on a g string by bach, trumpet voluntary and Jesu, of man's desiring. My dress is ivory, organza with a chapel train and my daughter is wearing a mini dress that matches mine. Very cute. Bridesmaids are wearing black (service is at 5pm) and they all picked their own dresses (lovely) that they fell in love with, accented with silver. Flowers are white roses for me, and purple roses for them. Guys are wearing tuxes. Cakes are gorgeous. We couldn't agree on one cake, so there will also be a groom's cake.

My dad can't walk me down the aisle, as he has an infection in his leg and is in the hospital. They will let him out for the wedding though. He's fine with it…. said he "already walked me down once" and doesn't want to wear a "ridiculous tuxedo" anyway.

The centerpieces are gorgeous… but hard to explain. Reception has lot's of lights and candles.

GG, I would LOVE for you to write a poem, that is very gracious!

That's all for now! W2K

GG, I would LOVE for you to write a poem, that is very gracious!

That's all for now! W2K

Hello W2K... Wish I could write a poem... it was Pa Pa who made the comment about writing a poem (he was quoting me where I asked you to share details about special music or poem).

Your arrangements sound lovely... it will be beautiful I know... and how I wish I could be there to see you baptized!

Sending you all good wishes... GG

edit to add: During "cocktail hour" perhaps you could have sparkling cider served in tall wine glasses for non-drinkers, LDS and otherwise (since many non-LDS refrain from drinking).

Edited by Garden Girl