Seriously No Politics ×

Bible Authorship

jskains

Why doesn’t the BOM mention most of LDS teachings?

Like baptism for the dead, celestial marriage, three degrees of glory, that God the Father was a man, plurality of gods, tempory hell, pre-existence of spirits, eternal progression, eternal intelligence,priesthood needed to act for god, plural marriage etc. If it contains the fullness of the gospel

Like baptism for the dead, celestial marriage, three degrees of glory, that God the Father was a man, plurality of gods, tempory hell, pre-existence of spirits, eternal progression, eternal intelligence,priesthood needed to act for god, plural marriage etc. If it contains the fullness of the gospel

Your definition of 'the fullness of the gospel' is not the correct definition. It doesn't mean 'all truth'.

You would do well to spend some time at FAIR. Most of your questions are answered there including this one. Then you can bring your game up to a higher level.

One-Minute Answers by Stephen R. Gibson

Contents of One-Minute Answers

Where Is The Book of Mormon's "Fulness of the Gospel?"

Question: The Book of Mormon is supposed to contain the "fulness of the gospel" (D & C 20:9), yet it mentions nothing about temple marriage, sealing ordinances, or baptism for the dead. According to Mormon theology, aren't these part of the fulness of the gospel?This argument rests on the erroneous premise that "fulness" means every point of doctrine relating to every conceivable gospel topic. Obviously no one book of scripture, or even all the Standard Works together, contain "every conceivable doctrine." In fact, the scriptures are clear that God will yet reveal many great truths (Amos 3:7, John 16:12).

The Book of Mormon gives us a clear understanding of what is needed to truly follow the example of Christ and be "saved" in the Kingdom of God (3 Nephi 11:33). It is required that we have faith in Christ, repent of our sins, be baptized with water and the Holy Ghost and endure in righteousness to the end (see all of 2 Nephi 31 and 32). One might add that the fulness of the gospel, in addition to the above, embraces the atonement of Christ and the universal judgment. (3 Nephi 27:13-2l).

As to the higher ordinances necessary for exaltation (after one enjoys the companionship of the Holy Ghost), it is probably of those ordinances the Lord was speaking when he said, "If thou shalt ask, thou shalt receive revelation upon revelation, knowledge upon knowledge, that thou mayest know the mysteries and peaceable things--that which bringeth joy, that which bringeth life eternal" (D & C 42:61)

As Latter-day Saints we have the promise that a time is coming when this fulness will be preached to all:

For it shall come to pass in that day, that every man shall hear the fulness of the gospel in his own tongue, and in his own language, through those who are ordained unto this power, by the administration of the Comforter, shed forth upon them for the revelation of Jesus Christ (D & C 90:11).

The fulness of the gospel that will be taught to all is the "doctrine of Christ." See also 3 Nephi 11:28-40; D & C 10:67.

Pearl of Great Price

34He said there was a abook deposited, written upon gold plates, giving an account of the former inhabitants of this continent, and the source from whence they sprang. He also said that the bfulness of the everlasting Gospel was contained in it, as delivered by the Savior to the ancient inhabitants;

So if the Pearl of Great Price says the Book of Mormon contains the fulness of the everlasting Gospel how come we have all these excuses that it doesn't ?? sounds like a lot of verbal gymnastics

Your definition of 'the fullness of the gospel' is not the correct definition. It doesn't mean 'all truth'.

Your definition of 'the fullness of the gospel' is not the correct definition. It doesn't mean 'all truth'. \\\\

How much more do you need?

The fullness consists in those laws, doctrines,ordnances, powers, and authorities needed to enable men to gain the fullness ofsalvation. Mormon Doctrine page 333

Our revelations say that the Book of Mormon containsthe fullness of the gospel, {D&C 20:9;27:5;42:12;135:3}. This is true inthe sense that the Book of Mormmon is a record of God's dealings with a peoplewho had the fulness of the gospel, and therefore the laws and principles leadingto the highest salvation are found recorded in that book.page 333

Your definition of 'the fullness of the gospel' is not the correct definition. It doesn't mean 'all truth'. \\\\

How much more do you need?

The fullness consists in those laws, doctrines,ordnances, powers, and authorities needed to enable men to gain the fullness ofsalvation. Mormon Doctrine page 333

Our revelations say that the Book of Mormon containsthe fullness of the gospel, {D&C 20:9;27:5;42:12;135:3}. This is true inthe sense that the Book of Mormmon is a record of God's dealings with a peoplewho had the fulness of the gospel, and therefore the laws and principles leadingto the highest salvation are found recorded in that book.page 333

What is the "fullness of the gospel?" Did the early Jews have the fullness of the gospel?

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090602141122AAa1zLJ

Behold I have given unto you my gospel, and this is the gospel which I have given unto you--that I came into the world to do the will of my Father, because my Father sent me.

And my Father sent me that I might be lifted up upon the cross; and after that I had been lifted up upon the cross, that I might draw all men unto me, that as I have been lifted up by men even so should men be lifted up by the Father, to stand before me, to be judged of their works, whether they be good or whether they be evil--

And for this cause have I been lifted up; therefore, according to the power of the Father I will draw all men unto me, that they may be judged according to their works.

And it shall come to pass, that whoso repenteth and is baptized in my name shall be filled; and if he endureth to the end, behold, him will I hold guiltless before my Father at that day when I shall stand to judge the world.

And he that endureth not unto the end, the same is he that is also hewn down and cast into the fire, from whence they can no more return, because of the justice of the Father.

And this is the word which he hath given unto the children of men. And for this cause he fulfilleth the words which he hath given, and he lieth not, but fulfilleth all his words.

And no unclean thing can enter into his kingdom; therefore nothing entereth into his rest save it be those who have washed their garments in my blood, because of their faith, and the repentance of all their sins, and their faithfulness unto the end. (3 Nephi 27:13-19)

1 Christ came into the world to do the Father's will.

2 The Father sent Christ to be crucified.

3 Because of Christ's atonement, all men will be judged by him according to their works (as opposed to not receiving a judgment at all and being cast out of God's presence by default, Nephi 9:8-9).

4 Those who repent and are baptized shall be filled (with the Holy Ghost, Nephi 12:6), and

5 if they continue in faith by enduring to the end they will be justified (declared "not guilty") by Christ before the Father, but

6 if they don't endure they will be subject to the justice of God and cast out of his presence.

7 The Father's words will all be fulfilled (cf. D&C 1:38).

8 Because no unclean thing can enter the Father's heavenly kingdom, only those who rely in faith on the atonement of Christ, repent, and are faithful to the end can be saved.

9 This is "the gospel." The Book of Mormon teaches these concepts with a plainness and clarity unequaled by any other book. It has therefore been declared by the Lord to contain "the fulness of the gospel."

What is the "fullness of the gospel?" Did the early Jews have the fullness of the gospel?

http://answers.yahoo...02141122AAa1zLJ

These teachings and doctrines are in accord withthe statement of the Prophet Joseph Smith that the principles of the gospel are“according to the Holy Scriptures, and the Book of Mormon; and the only waythat man can enter into the celestial kingdom.” (Teachings of the ProphetJoseph Smith, p. 16.) The fulness of the gospel as contained in the Book ofMormon means that it contains those instructions a person needs to observe inorder to be worthy to enter the presence of God in the celestial kingdom.

Daniel H. Ludlow The Ensign 09/1985

Sounds like Mormon like to use verbal gymnastics to run away from what Bruce said here about the gospel found in Book of Mormon

"On the other hand, the preparatory gospel is a lesser portion of Lord's saving truths, a portion which prepares and schools men for a future day when the fulness of the gospel may be recieved, a portion which of itself is not sufficiant to seal men up unto eternal life or assurance them an inhertitance in the celestial world . The Preparatory gospel is the gospel of repentance and of baptism, and the remission of sins, and the law of carnal commandments D&C 84:27

see D&C 84:26 too

Bruce says this actually is

the preparatory gospel page 333

Doctrine and Covenants 84:

26And the lesser apriesthood continued, which priesthood holdeth the bkey of the cministering of angels and the dpreparatory gospel;

27Which agospel is the gospel of brepentance and of cbaptism, and the dremission of sins, and the elaw of fcarnal commandments, which the Lord in his wrath caused to continue with the house of Aaron among the children of Israel until gJohn, whom God raised up, being hfilled with the Holy Ghost from his mother’s womb.

Sounds like Mormon like to use verbal gymnastics to run away from what Bruce said here about the gospel found in Book of Mormon

"On the other hand, the preparatory gospel is a lesser portion of Lord's saving truths, a portion which prepares and schools men for a future day when the fulness of the gospel may be recieved, a portion which of itself is not sufficiant to seal men up unto eternal life or assurance them an inhertitance in the celestial world . The Preparatory gospel is the gospel of repentance and of baptism, and the remission of sins, and the law of carnal commandments D&C 84:27

see D&C 84:26 too

Bruce says this actually is

the preparatory gospel page 333

Doctrine and Covenants 84:

26And the lesser apriesthood continued, which priesthood holdeth the bkey of the cministering of angels and the dpreparatory gospel;

27Which agospel is the gospel of brepentance and of cbaptism, and the dremission of sins, and the elaw of fcarnal commandments, which the Lord in his wrath caused to continue with the house of Aaron among the children of Israel until gJohn, whom God raised up, being hfilled with the Holy Ghost from his mother’s womb.

You are not understanding what he is saying either. He is agreeing with what I am saying. By the “preparatory gospel” is meant the gospel, or rather that portion of it, that was given to the Israelites through Moses at Sinai, because they were not worthy of the fulness of it at that time. It excluded the Melchizedek Priesthood, and the higher ordinances that can be administered by it such as the gift of the holy Ghost:

D&C 84
:

24 But they [the ancient Israelites] hardened their hearts and could not endure his presence; therefore, the Lord in his wrath, for his anger was kindled against them, swore that they should not enter into his rest while in the wilderness, which rest is the fulness of his glory. 25 Therefore, he took Moses out of their midst, and the Holy [Melchizedek] Priesthood also;

26 And the lesser [Aaronic] priesthood continued, which priesthood holdeth the key of the ministering of angels and the
preparatory gospel;

27 Which [preparatory] gospel is the gospel of repentance and of baptism, and the remission of sins, and the law of carnal commandments, which the Lord in his wrath caused to continue with the house of Aaron among the children of Israel until John, whom God raised up, being filled with the Holy Ghost from his mother's womb.

The Book of Mormon (and the Bible) teach the fulness of the gospel because in it that limitation is removed.

You are not understanding what he is saying either. He is agreeing with what I am saying. By the “preparatory gospel” is meant the gospel, or rather that portion of it, that was given to the Israelites through Moses at Sinai, because they were not worthy of the fulness of it at that time. It excluded the Melchizedek Priesthood, and the higher ordinances that can be administered by it such as the gift of the holy Ghost:

D&C 84
:

24 But they [the ancient Israelites] hardened their hearts and could not endure his presence; therefore, the Lord in his wrath, for his anger was kindled against them, swore that they should not enter into his rest while in the wilderness, which rest is the fulness of his glory. 25 Therefore, he took Moses out of their midst, and the Holy [Melchizedek] Priesthood also;

26 And the lesser [Aaronic] priesthood continued, which priesthood holdeth the key of the ministering of angels and the
preparatory gospel;

27 Which [preparatory] gospel is the gospel of repentance and of baptism, and the remission of sins, and the law of carnal commandments, which the Lord in his wrath caused to continue with the house of Aaron among the children of Israel until John, whom God raised up, being filled with the Holy Ghost from his mother's womb.

The Book of Mormon (and the Bible) teach the fulness of the gospel because in it that limitation is removed.

So when the Pearl of Great Price says the Book Of Mormon contains the fulness of Gospel, it really isn't the fulness?

Pearl of Great Price

33He called me by aname, and said unto me that he was a bmessenger sent from the presence of God to me, and that his name was Moroni; that God had a work for me to do; and that my name should be had for cgood and evil among all nations, kindreds, and tongues, or that it should be both good and evil spoken of among all people.

34He said there was a abook deposited, written upon gold plates, giving an account of the former inhabitants of this continent, and the source from whence they sprang. He also said that the bfulness of the everlasting Gospel was contained in it, as delivered by the Savior to the ancient inhabitants;

If an evangelical Christian jumped through hoops like that he would be ridiculed an dismissed.

If an evangelical Christian jumped through hoops like that he would be ridiculed an dismissed.

I think you are confusing your own obstinate refusal to understand or even acknolwedges the responses to your position with jumping through the hoops.

So when the Pearl of Great Price says the Book Of Mormon contains the fulness of Gospel, it really isn't the fulness?

<snip/>

Ivan, would you do us all a small favor and use the quotation system correctly, please? Here is how you do it:

1. Identify the post you want to respond to.
  2. If you wish to include the contents of the post so as to make it easier for others to see what you are replying to, then click on the Reply button located below the post you want to quote.
  3. In the resultant editing window, move your cursor to a point below where the [ /quote ] is, and add your response in the space below.
  4. Click the Add Reply button below the editing window.
  5. Note that if you don't want to include the contents of any other post, then just use the big Add Reply buttons at the top and bottom of the page
  6. There are some other tricks of using the quotation system, but this is the basic method and where you should start.

The way you've been doing it has made it a little difficult to follow you.

Archived