Seriously No Politics ×

Plural Marriage And The Sealing Power...

cinepro

In the Sunday School lesson "Sealed for All Time and Eternity" (which discusses section 132), there is a section in the teacher's manual that offers helpful additional information for teachers in case polygamy is brought up during the lesson. One of the things the teacher can share with the class is this:

In this dispensation, the Lord commanded some of the early Saints to practice plural marriage. The Prophet Joseph Smith and those closest to him, including Brigham Young and Heber C. Kimball, were challenged by this command, but they obeyed it. Church leaders regulated the practice. Those entering into it had to be authorized to do so, and the marriages had to be performed through the sealing power of the priesthood.

(Emphasis added)

According to the Fair Wiki, Joseph Smith's first plural wife was probably Fanny Alger in 1833.

I've always understood the keys to the sealing power to have been restored by Elijah in the Kirtland Temple in 1836.

So what am I missing?

In the Sunday School lesson "Sealed for All Time and Eternity" (which discusses section 132), there is a section in the teacher's manual that offers helpful additional information for teachers in case polygamy is brought up during the lesson. One of the things the teacher can share with the class is this:

According to the Fair Wiki, Joseph Smith's first plural wife was probably Fanny Alger in 1833.

I've always understood the keys to the sealing power to have been restored by Elijah in the Kirtland Temple in 1836.

So what am I missing?

"church leaders regulated the practice"....:)

So what am I missing?

The fact that the "fairwiki" article does NOT say when Joseph married Fanny.

So what am I missing?

A can of worms that just opened.............?

The fact that the "fairwiki" article does NOT say when Joseph married Fanny.

Even though the family apparently moved from Kirtland in 1838, it is unlikely that the realtionship was later than 1835, before the Kirtland temple revelation.

See here for some interesting points about the Alger marriage and other aspects of plural marriage (in the comments) I have not seen discussed much before (this also points out the scandal surrounding the relationship started in mid to late 35 in one of the comments which is why I said what I did):

http://www.fairblog.org/2009/05/31/the-fanny-alger-marriage/

Found a FAIR page dealing specifically with this claim, take it how you will:

http://www.fairwiki....ternal_marriage

The keys?

Some have wondered how the first plural marriages (such as the Alger marriage) could have occurred before the 1836 restoration of the sealing keys in the Kirtland temple (see DC 110:). Again, this confusion occurs because we tend to conflate several ideas. They were not all initially wrapped together in one doctrine:

1. plural marriage - the idea that one could be married (in mortality) to more than one woman: being taught by 1831.
  2. eternal marriage - the idea that a man and spouse could be sealed and remain together beyond the grave: being taught by 1835.
  3. "celestial" marriage - the combination of the above two ideas, in which all marriages—plural and monogamous—could last beyond the grave via the sealing powers: implemented by 1840-41.

Thus, the marriage to Fanny would have occurred under the understanding #1 above. The concept of sealing beyond the grave came later.

Archived