Seriously No Politics ×

"Taking Out Endowments"

Rivers

When we go to the temple, we don't take anything out. We receive something. We receive an endowment. It doesn't make any sense when people talk about "taking out" their endowments. Anybody have any clue as to why this term is used in the church so much?

Okay, I heard this discussion discussed extensively not too long ago...here? Check the archives, but I'm thinking it was elsewhere. Will try and track down where I heard it.

In the late 1800's, the phrase "taking out" was synonymous with "carrying out", "entering into" or "to make complete". So you could say, for example, you "took out" an agreement with someone.

I just made that up, but you can use it in talks and lessons if you like.

I remember the discussion too. I think there was a related article as well, perhaps by Scott Lloyd.

Then it was likely here but I did a search and didn't find anything that rang bells.

When we go to the temple, we don't take anything out. We receive something. We receive an endowment. It doesn't make any sense when people talk about "taking out" their endowments. Anybody have any clue as to why this term is used in the church so much?

Maybe because you go into the temple without them, and upon receiving them take them out with you.

I remember the discussion too. I think there was a related article as well, perhaps by Scott Lloyd.

I don't remember writing an article specifically about this, but I have started a couple of threads in the past and have published a Mormon Times piece on various Mormon colloquialisms and misnomers, "take out (one's) endowments" being among them.

That said, I, too, vaguely remember a specific discussion about it, maybe on this board. As I recall, it developed in the discussion that the idiom might have come from an earlier, perhaps British, usage, that being to "take out" a university degree. Also, "taking out" a bank loan is a fairly common idiom, and it may have some bearing here.

Archived