Is The World Ending On Saturday?

mfbukowski

There is a sect of Christian Fundamentalists who believe the world is ending this Saturday.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/05/19/scitech/main20064291.shtml

I think probably this is a very small minority- but what does this teach us about Biblical Fundamentalism in general?

There are always different ways to interpret the Bible or any scripture; recently a poster here was banned for refusing to "interpret" the Bible, insisting that it "speaks for itself".

Does the Bible "speak for itself"?

If that is true, why do so many Evangelicals who believe in Sola Scriptura disagree with the leader of the sect who thinks the Rapture is Saturday?

And in general, why are there so many sects who disagree with each other regarding doctrine, which are all "Sola Scriptura"?

Either the Bible needs interpretation or it doesn't. What do you think?

Joke answer:

I hope not, my birthday gift arrived from Amazon just the other day and my wife won't let me open it until the 28th.

Serious answer:

It'll be interesting to see what happens. Naturally I don't think anything out of the ordinary will happen, so I'm most interested in seeing their reaction. I don't think they speak for the majority of Evangelicals, by far. Taking the Bible literally at what it says isn't a view I agree with, but for reasons other than the demonstration of the far-cry claims of this group. Didn't they say there was a hidden code anyway?

I thought that the rapture was supposed to happen on Saturday and then the actual Second coming-with all the calamity-sometime in October?

You just don't understand the obvious implications of the date of the Flood, and the complexities of Camping's calculations.

Don't you have the T-Shirt? Camping's selling them, you know.

Lehi

You just don't understand the obvious implications of the date of the Flood, and the complexities of Camping's calculations.

Don't you have the T-Shirt? Camping's selling them, you know.

Lehi

:D

Seriously though, i thought it was Camping's website that i read that on. Maybe i am remembering it wrong.

I thought that the rapture was supposed to happen on Saturday and then the actual Second coming-with all the calamity-sometime in October?

Yeah, that's what I heard as well. Though I think there are supposed to be worldwide earthquakes on Saturday, as well as the rapture. :diablo:

It'll be interesting to see what happens. Naturally I don't think anything out of the ordinary will happen, so I'm most interested in seeing their reaction. I don't think they speak for the majority of Evangelicals, by far. Taking the Bible literally at what it says isn't a view I agree with, but for reasons other than the demonstration of the far-cry claims of this group. Didn't they say there was a hidden code anyway?

I watched some news show (like 20/20 or something along those lines) that was filming a Christian sect in the southwest that had determined that the world was going to end on a specific night. The next morning, everything was just like it had been the night before, but the members of the group were all dancing and singing like everything was just as they expected. They wouldn't explain the obvious contradictions in what did happen and what they said was going to happen, nor did they attempt to explain how the second coming did happen without anything changing (since they kept alluding to the fact that their prophecy was not wrong).

It was really weird. It's like they just refused to process the 'non-event' and were happily in denial.

From what i've seen of other groups who have predicted the end of the world/second coming, when it doesn't happen, it doesn't seem to bother the members of the group too much and many seem to still believe in the leader, regardless of the outcome. :pardon:

The interesting stuff will be what the believers of this say when it doesn't happen. That's fascinating stuff because a lot of them actually become MORE entrenched with belief.

The book "Mistakes Were Made (by not by me)" is a great book talking about just that thing and a lot of other cool stuff.

Great, great read if you haven't checked it out.

http://www.amazon.com/Mistakes-Were-Made-But-Not/dp/0156033909/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1305838552&sr=8-1

From what i've seen of other groups who have predicted the end of the world/second coming, when it doesn't happen, it doesn't seem to bother the members of the group too much and many seem to still believe in the leader, regardless of the outcome. :pardon:

Think about how much money it has taken for radio ads and billboards and all this group has been doing.

Regardless of what happens, someone is going to end up very rich after all this.

Not a bad business plan, imo, and who knows how many "associate pastors" are on the payroll.

As long as it happens before noon so I can skip the bridal shower, I'm okay with it.

It is actually the rapture that is taking place tomorrow. So if you're right with God you can get caught up into the clouds to meet Jesus before the bridal shower.

I hope so! I have to teach a class on sunday!

I'll see your "teach a class" on Sunday, and raise you a "AND give a talk in Sacrament meeting"! (I lo-o-o-ve "Church Responsibility Poker"!) ;):D:rofl:

Not even the Lord of Heavens knows the time he will come, Rapture or not. Sadly, those people believe and are as convicted that it will happen Saturday as I am that it won't.

Being from Vegas, My bet is that it won't... I have a better chance winning Mega-Bucks!

*Moves to Hawaii*

Now THERE is a good idea no matter what happens!

The interesting stuff will be what the believers of this say when it doesn't happen. That's fascinating stuff because a lot of them actually become MORE entrenched with belief.

The book "Mistakes Were Made (by not by me)" is a great book talking about just that thing and a lot of other cool stuff.

Great, great read if you haven't checked it out.

http://www.amazon.com/Mistakes-Were-Made-But-Not/dp/0156033909/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1305838552&sr=8-1

Another classic book on the subject is "When Prophecy Fails", where a social scientist gets to observe a UFO cult as the day of their predicted visit comes and goes.

As you said, the failure of their initial predictions doesn't have the expected effect...

Archived