Is Bad Luck A Part Of Heavenly Father'S Plan?

mbh26

I guess I could have introduced this question by asking, "Does all suffering have a meaning?" Is the suffering we endure as human beings necessary for us to become "just like," Heavenly Father or can it be just a case of bad luck? I once heard an LDS academic opine that we all needed to endure a unique set of trials and challenges to be Celestialized. Yet if we are all unique individuals, and unique in our life experience, how can we ever be just like God?

I guess I could have introduced this question by asking, "Does all suffering have a meaning?" Is the suffering we endure as human beings necessary for us to become "just like," Heavenly Father or can it be just a case of bad luck? I once heard an LDS academic opine that we all needed to endure a unique set of trials and challenges to be Celestialized. Yet if we are all unique individuals, and unique in our life experience, how can we ever be just like God?

I don't believe all suffering has an inherent meaning, but we can turn suffering into something meaningful by our own actions.

I don't believe all suffering has an inherent meaning, but we can turn suffering into something meaningful by our own actions.

I don't think all suffering has an inherent meaning either. But I would like it to have a meaning. If it doesn't have a meaning, why wouldn't an omnipotent God stop it?

I don't think all suffering has an inherent meaning either. But I would like it to have a meaning. If it doesn't have a meaning, why wouldn't an omnipotent God stop it?

Agency for one thing and for another because we have the potential to turn meaningless suffering into something meaningful.

Agency for one thing and for another because we have the potential to turn meaningless suffering into something meaningful.

I can understand the element of agency if you're talking about what people do to each other. But a lot of suffering is independent of any agents decision, other than the decision to come to this world.

How does the fact that all people have the potential to turn meaningless suffering into something meaningful justify allowing/creating a world where people randomly encounter different degrees of difficulty which seems to have no direct correlation to their capacity or potential. It doesn't seem fair in how the challenge is presented and we're not really given any information that would allow us to see the fairness in the payoff.

It's similar to the issue of was Heavanly Father the savior/Jesus Christ of His mortal estate or was He just a man like us? For me this would seem to make Him very different if He were one as opposed to the other. How could these two possible God the Fathers not be different? They lead and were shaped by different paths. What could you possibly pass through or do that would be equivalent to atoning for the sins of mankind and hence make your ultimate outcome the same albeit by a different path?

It doesn't seem fair in how the challenge is presented and we're not really given any information that would allow us to see the fairness in the payoff.

If one is given the answer ahead of time, does one learn or learn as much? I believe that we are generally taught the basics (sometimes this may only happen through the light of Christ though) and it is up to us to choose whether or not it is worth our personal effort to build upon that, to gain knowledge and add meaning to our lives through various means. The end can be a glorious one, but it would only be meaningful to those who yearned for it, not for those who didn't care enough to seek it out so God gives us the chance to decide for ourselves what we want to do.

If one is given the answer ahead of time, does one learn or learn as much? I believe that we are generally taught the basics (sometimes this may only happen through the light of Christ though) and it is up to us to choose whether or not it is worth our personal effort to build upon that, to gain knowledge and add meaning to our lives through various means. The end can be a glorious one, but it would only be meaningful to those who yearned for it, not for those who didn't care enough to seek it out so God gives us the chance to decide for ourselves what we want to do.

That's a good answer to one of the questions I posed.

But where does Mormonism lie with the question I posed about what it really means to be, "just like God." What is your take on that?

But where does Mormonism lie with the question I posed about what it really means to be, "just like God." What is your take on that?

I've always assumed that when Christ said he did what he saw his Father do (or whatever that phrase was), that he meant it literally though like you said every path is unique so it wasn't likely totally identical, but I would suggest it was identical in the essentials.

I think all suffering has meaning but in a more generalized way than some might think.

1. Suffering caused by my own foolishness or poor decision making, helps me to learn wisdom and to follow God's commandments.

2. Suffering that comes as a matter of chance or living in an imperfect world helps me to understand the suffering of others; how to empathize with their difficulties and how to come to their aid. It also helps me to truly appreciate what it will mean to live in a perfect world for eternity.

3. When my children make mistakes or suffer by chance, I come to understand in a special way how Heavenly Father feels about his children.

These things also give me the opportunity to turn to God and thank him for the learning experience or curse God and be ungrateful for the opportunity of the school, experience and gift of life.

There really is no other way to learn these things that I know of.

It means that you learn to obey the same law he does. That's what it means to be like God... it means, to make yourself subject to the same things he is.

In order to be subject to it, there are certain requirements. We all have flaws that need fixing. They are different between people, meaning our trials are different too. But the goal is, after we go through all of our trials, to be worthy of the position God would give us - to be able to live under that Heavenly Law that he obeys to let him govern us.

"For behold, this life is the time, for men to prepare to meet God...". I is so true =).

May you have happy and content wishes =),

TAO

I believe that every God is unigue. But to become like God is to be able to do things that He can do in your unique way. Every artist has ability to draw. But each artist is unique.

I think everything has a meaning even if it looks like it doesn't have. I know that Christ seffered every suffering. Only to experience at least a tiny portion of what He suffered makes me better understand what He went thruoght. It has meaning for me.

Every time I feel physical pain or emotional pain I think about Him. I know that He experienced it.

Many things God doesn't stop because they are part of this world.

God created this world, gave laws and everything (accept humans) obeys God's laws. If there is an earthquake it is because Earth obeys the law. As a result people suffer. But we agreed to come to this world where everythins OBEYS natural laws.

For Alla,

Is there some kind of ultimate good that can only be achieved through living in a world that obeys natural laws? Is the lesson of this life to experience what it is like to live in a random and unfair world? If that is so, then the answer to my original question would be, "Yes, bad luck is an essential part of Heavenly Fathers plan."

If the reason for not healing someone is that God must respect natural laws, then how do we explain the times God has healed people?

I believe that every God is unigue.

That's for sure. Nailing down in what ways they are the same and in exactly what ways they are different seems to be an unanswered question.

Archived