Seriously No Politics ×

A Quote From Joseph Smith?

inquiringmind

Is this really a quote from Joseph Smith?

"Jesus is one of a grand order of Saviors. Every world has its distinctive Savior and every dispensation its Christ" (Women in Mormondom by Edward W. Tullidge; Page 192)

If anyone has access to this book, I'd be interested in whether the quote is actually from Joseph (as opposed to Tullidge, or Elza Snow), in the wider context of this remark, in what's meant by "dispensation" here, and in what's meant by "every dispensation" has its Christ"?

Can anyone help me?

Never heard it.

Has anyone?

Who was Edward W. Tullidge?

Was he a general authority?

Eliza Snow (a widow of Joseph Smith) apparently had something to do with this book (which seems to have been approved by Brigham Young), has anyone heard of it?

Does anyone know if this is an accurate quote from JS, if it's taken out of context, or what it's suppose to mean?

Has anyone?

Eliza Snow (a widow of Joseph Smith) apparently had something to do with this book (which seems to have been approved by Brigham Young), has anyone heard of it?

Does anyone know if this is an accurate quote from JS, if it's taken out of context, or what it's suppose to mean?

Never heard of it

No idea who Tullidge was

No he wasn't a General Authority

They have excerpts of it on me gospelink account but not the portion you are wanting

No idea, sorry! but if it just has Jospeh Smith said this... I wouldn't believe it because who knows where it came from or even if Sister Bathsheba Wing Dingwaller said he said it but like what was the context of him saying it?, did anyone else hear him say it, so scrutinize the context of it

Edward William Tullidge was born in Weymouth, England. He first heard of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the late 1840s, but I could not discover when he joined the Church. He emigrated to Utah in 1861. By 1868, he became associated with the Godbeite movement (bitter apostates), and in 1879 he apostatized and became a member of the Reorganized Church (RLDS).

I admit I had never heard of him, and nothing of this quote.

Lehi

"Jesus is one of a grand order of Saviors. Every world has its distinctive Savior and every dispensation its Christ" (Women in Mormondom by Edward W. Tullidge; Page 192)

If anyone has access to this book, I'd be interested in whether the quote is actually from Joseph (as opposed to Tullidge, or Elza Snow), in the wider context of this remark, in what's meant by "dispensation" here, and in what's meant by "every dispensation" has its Christ"?

Can anyone help me?

Still doing some searching, but I get the feeling the quote may have come from Eliza as heard from Joseph. I heard this doctrine when I was a missionary so it is not new to me. I found this among the literature I was perusing. I also have the feeling the church would most likely disavow the statement at this time if confronted with it.

" in referring to the “Women of Mormondom,” by Tullidge, the author says: “During this year (1876) she (Eliza R. Snow Smith, wife of Joseph Smith), prepared her second volume of poems for the press, also assisted in selecting and preparing the manuscript for the ‘Women of Mormondom,’ and in raising funds for its publication, and not least of all, gave the proof her attention. Also still continued her labors in the House of the Lord.” ELIZA R. SNOW (SMITH) Eliza R. Snow Smith was amply qualified, through her rare intellectual endowments, her unusual spiritual gifts and her unfaltering faith in the Gospel of Jesus Christ; also by reason of her broad experiences and intimate association with her husband, Joseph Smith, to edit such a work and to give to the world the teachings of the Prophet on the higher order of life as she received them from his lips. From the record “Women of Mormondom” (pp. 178198), we give brief outlines of the Prophet's teachings on the subject at hand: “The Prophet (Joseph Smith) [taught]31 the sisters in the temple at Kirtland that there has been an eternal chain of creations coming down from the generations of the Gods - worlds and systems and universes.” ... “[He taught the]32 people that the starry hosts were worlds and suns and universes, some of which had being millions of ages before this earth had physical form.” “Moreover, so vast is the divine scheme, and stupendous the works of creations, that the Prophet introduced the expressive word Eternities. The eternities are the times of creations.” ... “Innumerable worlds have been peopled with 31 Originally “was teaching” 32 Originally “The Prophet of Israel was teaching his” 44 Further Evidences from Associates ‘living souls’ of the order of mankind; innumerable worlds have passed through their probations; innumerable worlds have been redeemed, resurrected and celestialized.”

Can anyone help me?

Assuming this is correct, I can think of at least one good explanation consistent with our doctrine.

In The Magician's Nephew, C. S. Lewis defined a world as everything you could get to in three dimensions. Following this, we could define a dispensation as a divine generation, ie. the period of time when the children of a given God are in mortality.

So each God would have one Savior/Christ for his children.

Can anyone help me?

There is plenty of information about Tullidge on the Internet, and he was not a GA. More information can be found about him here, and a picture of him can be seen here. The quote you are referring to can be seen in his book here; and it is not a quote form Joseph Smith. It is his own idea. He does not claim to be quoting from somebody else. And the doctrines he is teaching are not authoritative LDS doctrines.

I think it would be a good idea if you put in a bit of effort into researching your own questions online first, before asking them here. That is the lazy man's way of doing things. It took me less than 5 minutes to find all the above information (and more) by using Google to search for this guy. Your "inquiring mind" is getting a bit boring! You are asking questions which are trivial, and for which answers are readily available on the Internet. And you also should know by now that these sources do not provide accurate information about Church doctrine. If you want accurate information about Church doctrine you study the standard works, and visit the Church's official website. That is the way to find out what the Church really believes or teaches. I don't think that Mormons have an obligation to explain Tullidge's unorthodox beliefs.

You are asking questions which are trivial

If this isn't a quote from Joseph Smith, I should think you'd welcome the oportunity to point that out.

And I don't think the question of what he believed and taught (whether publically or privately, to one of his wives) concerning the person and office of Jesus Christ is at all trivial, and I thank you for your reply.

If this isn't a quote from Joseph Smith, I should think you'd welcome the oportunity to point that out.

And I don't think the question of what he believed and taught (whether publically or privately, to one of his wives) concerning the person and office of Jesus Christ is at all trivial, and I thank you for your reply.

They are pointing out that none know of, or have heard of it as a Joseph Smith quote. It may have been or it may not have been. Even IF it were there is no context to the quote so it would be hard to define it's meaning.

As Zerinus has discovered, it was not Joseph Smith who said it.

As to whether Joseph believed such a thing, I recall that Joseph once wrote, in a poeticized version of D&C 76 (or something similar), that Jesus is the Savior of all people on all planets everywhere.

As Zerinus has discovered, it was not Joseph Smith who said it.

As to whether Joseph believed such a thing, I recall that Joseph once wrote, in a poeticized version of D&C 76 (or something similar), that Jesus is the Savior of all people on all planets everywhere.

Indeed he does; and it is also taught in the “non-poetized” version:

D&C 76
:

23 For we saw him, even on the right hand of God; and we heard the voice bearing record that he is the Only Begotten of the Father—

24 That by him, and through him, and of him,
the worlds are and were created, and the inhabitants thereof are begotten sons and daughters unto God

42 That through him all might be saved whom the Father had put into his power and
made by him;

43 Who glorifies the Father, and
saves all the works of his hands,
except those sons of perdition who deny the Son after the Father has revealed him.

For singular Joseph Smith quotations, I learned long ago to never trust anything not contained in The Teachings of Joseph Smith, compiled by Joseph Fielding Smith. The source of each quotation is given. The ongoing Papers of Joseph Smith Project is really like an in-depth extension of this earlier book's purpose....

Ineed. I am going to go out on a nice limb here and say this quote was not even made by JS. Unless some one can find a good first hand source for this. I have never heard of this and it is contrary to the teachings of the church.

Archived