Is There A Way Your Life Is Supposed To Be?

Duncan

Does Heavenly Father have a way in mind that your life is supposed to go? I was thinking about how people I know they get into a job or meet someone or something seemingly random happens and it changes their life course for better or for worse. I was also thinking about Elder Lyman of the Twelve was sexcommunicated in 1944 and the vacancy was filled by Elder Mark E. Petersen. I think Elder Lyman died in the mid '60's sometime and so was Elder Petersen supposed to have been called in the mid 60's? In GD class yestarday people talked about how people in general need to go through experiences that are particular to them, I was going to ask what about homeless people, drug addicts, people who get mutilated in wars and lose loved ones from a variety of experiences, were they supposed to go through those events, like God declared at some point okay Hugh Schnoot you need to go through WW1 and suffer terribly and not get a job and live on the streets of Toronto only to die in a bar fight in the depression? Are we supposed to go through certain experiences or is it more random and just hope for the best?-As In God saying or thinking well your a putz burger with all the toppings so I think you will not have much of a chance to succeed in life, you will probably go through XYZ, I would prefer not but. What do you think?

Does Heavenly Father have a way in mind that your life is supposed to go? ...

What do you think?

I believe He sets us up with the best (i.e., most useful for us individually) situation at birth. What we do with that situation will depend on how we react to the stimuli we face.

The intervening sutff is provided for (wars, comfort, the Gospel, famine, illness, wealth, etc.), but who we are is a step-by-step process that builds us as we do the same kinds of things in the face of similar situations throughout our lives.

Lehi

Yes it is supposed to be patterned after Christ - serving others and doing good. Other than that he pretty much gives us carte blanche to make it how and what we want. Sometimes we get course changing experiences but even then we are left to do with them what we will.

I sure hope there's no set script.

Otherwise I'm sure I'm failing spectacularly. ;)

The above, times two! :)

Forrest Gump asked if we were "all just floating around, accidental-like, like a feather on a breeze" or if we each have a destiny. He concluded that maybe both things are happening at the same time. I think there's more than a little wisdom in that. (Not to mention that life is like a box of chocolates; you never know what you're gonna get.)

I admit, I don't understand the interplay between man's inhumanity to man, what God causes to happen, and what He permits to happen. While I don't think God is just moving us around like chess pieces (who would He be playing the game with? ;)), and while, like Nephi, I don't "know the meaning of all things" and I simply have to trust that He "loveth His children", I do believe that God has the ability to make whatever set of circumstances we find ourselves in work together for our good and for His name's glory. :)

Does Heavenly Father have a way in mind that your life is supposed to go?...Are we supposed to go through certain experiences or is it more random and just hope for the best?-As In God saying or thinking well your a putz burger with all the toppings so I think you will not have much of a chance to succeed in life, you will probably go through XYZ, I would prefer not but. What do you think?

Any "puppet master" crap is right out. A god that created endless souls to follow a prearranged script would be worse than a puppet master.

The only concept explaining our existence that makes any sense to me is complete free will from the getgo. "God" creates a person and that is a unique mind in all eternity. There is no reason to have more than one of me, and why would "God" want more than one of me? Inconceivable. The randomness is only perceived within the space-time context. "God In Total" knows the end from the beginning. But "God" AS you or me does not. And each of us, being finite pieces of "God's" thought, are free will-possessing, living linear immortal lives moment by moment. It is meant to be accumulative experience and memory in character: finite awareness, finite sensibility, finite power, etc. Everything about us is finite; in direct contrast to what God In Total perceives outside of space-time (God In Total sees all of Existence as NOW).

And the universal purpose to all of this finite space-time stuff seems to me to be JOY. The Joy is in the journey. So "God" goes on endless journeys, quests if you will, to seek the meaning of and realization of what Joy is. If "God" did not create finite journeys for itself, there would be no Joy to experience; all would indeed by Void....

Archived