Seriously No Politics ×

Cancer Cure?

Deborah

No it isn't (if we're being specific as to what I'm talking about, which is specifically the claim that they have cured cancer).
My issue was more the line of reasoning, "There are no clinical trials; therefore, there is no basis..." The lack of clinical trials doesn't mean you don't have a basis for an argument. To say it's a cure may be an overstatement. However, it seems to be cure-ish. All cancer cells have the mitochondrial issue in common, and that is the operative path for DCA. Regardless of the fact that there are many different types of cancer, all cancer is cancer, so all cancers must have things in common. In this case, DCA looks promising as something cure-ish, as its effect seems like it could be a universal treatment.
It is a simple fact that they have not cured cancer.
That's not a simple fact. It may be, somewhat accurately, called, "a cure." To say it's THE cure would be taking it too far, though.
"While these results are intriguing, it is unlikely that this one compound represents “the cure” for cancer – and it is also unlikely that DCA is the “wonder drug” that the headlines portray. Cancer is a complex and multi-faceted disease, and it can be caused by a range of different faults within the cell. It is unlikely that any single drug could ever treat all forms of the disease."
Unlikely, sure. But possible. In this case, it may be on the right track. Perhaps with advancements with the use of DCA, the substance itself or possibly the means by which it attacks cancer can result in the cure. This is a massive breakthrough, IMO.

This is my last post on the topic, as I think I've already stated my views on the matter.

My issue was more the line of reasoning, "There are no clinical trials; therefore, there is no basis..." The lack of clinical trials doesn't mean you don't have a basis for an argument.

Of course. The animal studies and in vitro studies show wonderful results. No one is saying that they haven't. The issue is that scientists recognize that a promising drug that shows great results in test tubes and in the model organisms end up not progressing after beginning human testing. The lack of clinical trials is an important issue in these arguments, because that's just how drug discovery works. Testing DCA on human cells in vitro is not the same thing as in vivo studies where scientists also take into account human physiology and pharmacodynamics. This isn't discounting the results we already have. It's simply putting things into context as to how this area of science actually works, and shows why all the media hype of a cure for cancer being found is premature.

I agree with the sentiment of Dr. J Leonard Lichtenfeld, Deputy Chief Medical Officer of the American Cancer Society:

"If that sounds overly cautious, so be it. I have seen too many dashed hopes in my medical career which make me a bit cautious about reports like this. That’s not to say I don’t think it could work—it could, as I mentioned above—but I want to see evidence in well done trials that prove the point that DCA is effective in the treatment of which cancers under what circumstances.

Early in my cancer training there was a substance isolated by a researcher that was supposedly non-toxic and would cure leukemia. The research center where I was working was inundated from people around the globe who wanted this treatment, especially after the lead researcher injected himself on a nationwide morning show to demonstrate its apparent lack of toxicity.

Only grams of this medicine existed. Fortunes were offered in return for getting this miracle drug.

But the miracle drug—after reasonable clinical trials were done—didn’t work after all."

To say it's a cure may be an overstatement.

Agreed.

That's not a simple fact. It may be, somewhat accurately, called, "a cure." To say it's THE cure would be taking it too far, though.

Yes, it's a simple fact. It cannot be called a cure yet. Again, I'm not detracting from the studies and results already found. I, and a host of scientists and physicians that have written on this subject, am merely putting these studies in the context of the drug discovery process. Clinical trials are an important part of that process, and that is why these scientists and physicians will not call DCA a cancer cure, because they know how this goes.

So yes, I completely agree with you that the results of the Alberta studies are fascinating, and the animal studies and human cell culture studies are very interesting. However it isn't useful to buy into the media hype and say that they have cured cancer (when, as I mentioned, one of the physician-scientists on the study said-"But it is too soon to say whether it will provide an effective treatment against cancer in humans, says lead author Evangelos Michelakis, a cardiologist at the University of Alberta in Edmonton."), as it ignores the drug discovery process, and the importance of human trials in any prospective drug. Culturing cancer cells and treating them in vitro, while extremely important, is not the same thing as studying the effects of the drug within the human system, and it is that part of the process that will show whether we can actually call DCA a cure, and I look forward to advancement in that area.

"If that sounds overly cautious, so be it."
Even scientists know when they're being overly cautious. Between the incredible studies on rats, the positive proof that its safe for humans and even an understanding of why it kills cancer cells, it's safe to be fairly optimistic. Even if DCA, in itself, wasn't the cure, scientists have now discovered a path to safely destroy cancer cells. That alone is reason enough to publicize this and discuss this as a cure, even if DCA in itself, isn't the answer.

On FB this article appeared about a cure for cancer: Cancer Cure

The point of the article is that this simple cure is being ignored because it would mean all the expensive drugs now in use would be worthless and the millions going into cancer research would be lost.

My point in bringing this up is not to discuss conspiracy theories or even the efficacy of this particular drug, but rather bring it down to the individual level. If a person of integrity works for a big company that makes millions of dollars and realizes that he is contributing to a fraud because they refuse to acknowledge such a discovery what does he do? He risks losing his job, earning the wrath of a powerful organization and in the end maybe not having much of an influence at all. But should he still do the right thing? What would you do?

We hear about whistleblowers, and from what I've seen their lives are turned upside down. Is it worth it to make such waves for the sake of doing what is right and ruining your life and your family's?

In the movie Schindler's List, the man Schindler was able to save thousands of lives with his hiring of Jews to work in the factories. But in the end of his life he died in poverty. Yet could he have stood by and done anything less than what he did?

This question was also posed in a movie from the nineties with William Macy called "The Water Engine." A man had invented an engine that could be run on water. The big oil companies of course tried to suppress his invention. I don't remember all the details of the movie but as I recall in the end the engine and it's secret lay on a shelf in a pawn shop.

Most of us will never be involved in such life altering situations but we still have daily choices to make and I think it is a good idea to re-examine every once in awhile why we make some of the choices we do.

Nothing would stop me from sharing the cure and with the number of people who have been devastated by cancer, I can't imagine anyone hiding the cure. And who wouldn't want to hire the person who saved countless people by making it known?

I can support the laser light ideas. After all we know that light has a powerful impact. Just go sit in the sun for awhile when depressed and see if you don't feel better. I have gotten rid of migraines by imagining a beam of light like a laser focused on the center of pain and then when that is burning and feeling better moving it to the next area of pain. I think that light and mind and diet can have a powerful impact on any disease.

I can support the laser light ideas. After all we know that light has a powerful impact. Just go sit in the sun for awhile when depressed and see if you don't feel better. I have gotten rid of migraines by imagining a beam of light like a laser focused on the center of pain and then when that is burning and feeling better moving it to the next area of pain. I think that light and mind and diet can have a powerful impact on any disease.

You do realized what you describe is magic, right? Congratulations, you are a magician.

You do realized what you describe is magic, right? Congratulations, you are a magician.

No it's called biofeedback.

Biofeedback

I am going through facial therapy for paralysis using biofeedback where I am learning to use different muscles. It is a legitimate treatment.

No it's called biofeedback.

Biofeedback

I am going through facial therapy for paralysis using biofeedback where I am learning to use different muscles. It is a legitimate treatment.

Sure, get my hopes up. The world desperately needs magicians right now.

Sure, get my hopes up. The world desperately needs magicians right now.

But isn't the ability of the mind to change what is going on in the body a form of magic. ^_^

Yes it is, so will you claim the title and the duty?

Oh, I believe in magic if you define it as use of natural laws to do amazing things.

Isn't that like smashing your finger with a hammer, looking at all the blood, gristle and parts and telling yourself, " this doesnt really hurt" !

Not exactly. Acupuncture and Reiki are types of magical healing. So is laughter.

Archived