Seriously No Politics ×

Blood Attonement

jskains

I was talking to a fellow worker, and he told of a man who raped his own daughters nightly whenever he felt the urge. He invited friends over to also have their way with his 8 year old daughter.

IMHO people like this should have a bullet help empty out their skull of what little brains they have. A comedian once quipped that if you personally even had thoughts of sexually molesting a child, you should do the world a favor and eat a bullet for the team.

How is my position any different than Brigham's Blood Attonement concept? I don't see this as a problem. I do believe there are crimes for which are so horrible and ugly that only your blood hitting dirt could even give you a chance of redemption.

Thoughts?

I agree with you. I do believe there are certain crimes that are heinous enough for which the death penalty would be appropriate. Most people would agree to a certain extent as demonstrated by the celebrations that took place after Bin Laden's death.

But capital punishment isn't exactly what the blood atonement was about. Brigham Young said that having your own blood spilled is necessary to atone for those sins. The blood atonement wasn't so much about justice as was about redemption for the individual. That is my understanding of the blood atonement anyway. Many people object to the idea because it limits the spilling of Christ's blood.

I believe in the Atonement of Jesus Christ and it's redemptive power. My prayer is that all might turn their hearts to Him and repent of their evil ways- no matter what those sins are.

One of my favorite sayings is, "The worst sin is the one that is left not repented of."

The repentant incestuous father is better off then the unrepentant gossip-monger.

I agree with you. I do believe there are certain crimes that are heinous enough for which the death penalty would be appropriate. Most people would agree to a certain extent as demonstrated by the celebrations that took place after Bin Laden's death.

But capital punishment isn't exactly what the blood atonement was about. Brigham Young said that having your own blood spilled is necessary to atone for those sins. The blood atonement wasn't so much about justice as was about redemption for the individual. That is my understanding of the blood atonement anyway. Many people object to the idea because it limits the spilling of Christ's blood.

Christ's attonment was the gateway. But that doesn't give you an automatic pass. I think the concept is that you can do something so horrible that you block yourself from Christ's own attonement.

It's your fault, not an imperfection of Christ.

jskains:

There was only one Blood Atonement necessary, and that one was 2000 years ago. Capital punishment is a different subject. I actually believe that that man should enjoy the fine prison facilities this country provides(for a very long time).

I agree. Its a lot cheaper to keep them locked up. The death penalty is such a tedious and expensive process. I'm not sure I think its worth it.

Christ's attonment was the gateway. But that doesn't give you an automatic pass. I think the concept is that you can do something so horrible that you block yourself from Christ's own attonement.

That makes sense. But I think Christ would rather have us turn our lives around and live for him rather than die for him.

It is clear in scripture that the only unforgivable sin is to deny the Holy Ghost. ALL other sins can be forgiven if repentance takes place. I will never tell a lost soul, "Well, Jesus can't forgive you. You were just too wicked in your past."

It is clear in scripture that the only unforgivable sin is to deny the Holy Ghost. ALL other sins can be forgiven if repentance takes place. I will never tell a lost soul, "Well, Jesus can't forgive you. You were just too wicked in your past."

I would. Any child rapist I could easily tell them that.

JMS

jskains:

If that were the extent of bad behaviors there would be much less need for the Atonement. Further I could empty all the jails and prisons today if that were the case. Jesus paid the price for all sin, with but one exception, and child rape, as terrible as that is, isn't it.

From St. Augustine. His letter 211 (c. 424) contains the phrase Cum dilectione hominum et odio vitiorum, which translates roughly as "With love for mankind and hatred of sins."

The death penalty is such a tedious and expensive process.

It doesn't have to be. A few bucks is all it really costs. It's the incessant appeals and retrials.

Once a person is found guilty, he should be subjected to a very stringent and accurate test of truthfulness: using a CATScan, ascertain what his brain looks like while telling the truth and when he's telling a lie. Put him in an iron lung and paralyze his diaphragm. Ask him, "Did you do it?" If his brain says he's lying, turn off the iron lung momentarily, then ask again. Once he tells the truth, the test is over.

If he's guilty, send him to speak with Osama.

Lehi

Once a person is found guilty, he should be subjected to a very stringent and accurate test of truthfulness: using a CATScan, ascertain what his brain looks like while telling the truth and when he's telling a lie. Put him in an iron lung and paralyze his diaphragm. Ask him, "Did you do it?" If his brain says he's lying, turn off the iron lung momentarily, then ask again. Once he tells the truth, the test is over.

If he's guilty, send him to speak with Osama.

Lehi

Why should we do that?

Lehi:

First it would be highly unethical to treat any human that way. Secondly and more importantly the brain is incapable of telling the difference between a lie, and something it actually believes. Thirdly, and most importantly the use of duress is ineffective, and criminal itself, to elicit a confession.

Christ's attonment was the gateway. But that doesn't give you an automatic pass. I think the concept is that you can do something so horrible that you block yourself from Christ's own attonement. It's your fault, not an imperfection of Christ.

Christ's atonement, crucifixion, and resurrection removes any barrier to salvation and life here after. Only the individual blocks himself, not the Christ. If Christ can give foregiveness to such as David and Saul, then hope in Him exists for all of us.

I was talking to a fellow worker, and he told of a man who raped his own daughters nightly whenever he felt the urge. He invited friends over to also have their way with his 8 year old daughter.

IMHO people like this should have a bullet help empty out their skull of what little brains they have. A comedian once quipped that if you personally even had thoughts of sexually molesting a child, you should do the world a favor and eat a bullet for the team.

How is my position any different than Brigham's Blood Attonement concept? I don't see this as a problem. I do believe there are crimes for which are so horrible and ugly that only your blood hitting dirt could even give you a chance of redemption.

Thoughts?

As far as I know, Brigham Young's teachings on Blood Atonement only applied to murderers.

So while there may be good arguments for capital punishment for child molesters, unless the molester murders someone, teachings and theories about Blood Atonement wouldn't be relevant.

Archived