Seriously No Politics ×

The Value Of The Book Of Mormon

Rivers

Ever since the Ezra Taft Benson, general authorities have constantly been emphasizing the importance of studying the Book of Mormon more than any of the other standard works.

What is in the Book of Mormon that is so valuable that we can't find in the Bible? What are specific unique teachings of the Book of Mormon that give it its worth?

This is from Alma 40:11

Behold, it has been made known unto me by an angel, that the spirits of all men, as soon as they are departed from this mortal body, yea, the spirits of all men, whether they be good or evil, are taken home to that God who gave them life.

Ecclesiastes 12:7 and the Westminster Confession have similar phrases, but I don't think that either of them explain that the righteous and the wicked are taken home to God as soon as they die. Like, immediately. Even the ones who are going to be cast into outer darkness are taken home to God first.

I think it's a beautiful thing that our Heavenly Father wants to see all of his children again, at least one last time, even if they are going to be damned for all time thereafter.

This is from Alma 40:11

Behold, it has been made known unto me by an angel, that the spirits of all men, as soon as they are departed from this mortal body, yea, the spirits of all men, whether they be good or evil, are taken home to that God who gave them life.

Ecclesiastes 12:7 and the Westminster Confession have similar phrases, but I don't think that either of them explain that the righteous and the wicked are taken home to God as soon as they die. Like, immediately. Even the ones who are going to be cast into outer darkness are taken home to God first.

I think it's a beautiful thing that our Heavenly Father wants to see all of his children again, at least one last time, even if they are going to be damned for all time thereafter.

Eternal and Endless are not to be taken as a measure of time. Eternal and Endless are names for God, and so Eternal Punishment and Endless Punishment is God's punishment. Not a measure of time.

As the Bible says you can't add to the word of God [As recorded in the Bible] or take away from God's word, And as the Bible warns of the dangers of adding to and taking away from God's word, Don't you think you could be deceived.

What is God's word? Care to define it?\

Of course I could be deceived, however trying to claim the BoM adds to God's word and is in violation is the weakest argument I have ever come across.

Of course I could be deceived, however trying to claim the BoM adds to God's word and is in violation is the weakest argument I have ever come across.

• Deuteronomy 4:2
    2 Ye shall not add unto the word which I command you, neither shall ye diminish ought from it, that ye may keep the commandments of the Lord your God which I command you.

• Deuteronomy 12:32
    32 What thing soever I command you, observe to do it: thou shalt not add thereto, nor diminish from it.

• Revelation 22:18
    18 For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:

Ok, so lets just throw out everything that comes after Deuteronomy 4...

• Deuteronomy 4:2
    2 Ye shall not add unto the word which I command you, neither shall ye diminish ought from it, that ye may keep the commandments of the Lord your God which I command you.

• Deuteronomy 12:32
    32 What thing soever I command you, observe to do it: thou shalt not add thereto, nor diminish from it.

• Revelation 22:18
    18 For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:

Ok, so lets just throw out everything that comes after Deuteronomy 4...

But wait, "There is no verse in the old testsament that would be bad news for the new testament."

Only if one does not use a fundamentalist mind set is it not an issue. But if we apply Kingsson's fundamentalism there is a huge problem here.

Eternal and Endless are not to be taken as a measure of time. Eternal and Endless are names for God, and so Eternal Punishment and Endless Punishment is God's punishment. Not a measure of time.

So... those who are cast into outer darkness don't stay there forever? I was under the impression that they did.

Elder Oaks gave a talk in Conference not long ago about the definition of "damned," and it seemed like he was saying that those outside of the Celestial Kingdom would have no further opportunity for progression, and, therefore, were "damned."

There is no verse in the old testsament that would be bad news for the new testament.

Revelation isn't the only book that warns of the of adding to or taking away from God's word [The Bible], There is one in Deuteronomy.

There is one in Proverbs that says you are a liar if you add to God's word.

So I think it does apply to the BoM.. If you weren't dishonest, You would agree.

How Christian of you, to come here and basically call all who do not agree with you as dishonest.

Lame, dude, real lame.

I think that Kingsson already defined this when he wrote "As the Bible says you can't add to the word of God [As recorded in the Bible]"....this leads me to believe that he defines god's word as those things written in the bible, exclusively.

Personally, I think neither are the word of god....I'm just clarifying what I am reading into Kingssons statement about your question concerning "What is God's word?"

So... those who are cast into outer darkness don't stay there forever? I was under the impression that they did.

Elder Oaks gave a talk in Conference not long ago about the definition of "damned," and it seemed like he was saying that those outside of the Celestial Kingdom would have no further opportunity for progression, and, therefore, were "damned."

Outer Darkness takes effort. As hard as it is to make the Highest Glory of the CK, it's is equally challenging to make it to Outer Darkness.

Damned is relative... Better to be best person in the almost CK, than be the worst person in the Kingdom slightly better than Outer Darkness.

Outer Darkness takes effort. As hard as it is to make the Highest Glory of the CK, it's is equally challenging to make it to Outer Darkness.

Damned is relative... Better to be best person in the almost CK, than be the worst person in the Kingdom slightly better than Outer Darkness.

But, those who ARE cast into outer darkness remain there forever, correct? So, their damnation is temporally infinite, right?

And, those who are consigned to, say, the Telestial Kingdom remain there forever, correct? So, their damnation is temporally infinite, right?

But, those who ARE cast into outer darkness remain there forever, correct? So, their damnation is temporally infinite, right?

And, those who are consigned to, say, the Telestial Kingdom remain there forever, correct? So, their damnation is temporally infinite, right?

Well, if you say the General Authorities said so, I'm not going to argue with them, I am unsure...

D&C 19

10 For, behold, the amystery of godliness, how great is it! For, behold, I am bendless, and the punishment which is given from my hand is endless cpunishment, for dEndless is my name. Wherefore—

11 aEternal punishment is God’s punishment.

12 Endless punishment is God’s punishment.

Well, if you say the General Authorities said so, I'm not going to argue with them, I am unsure...

D&C 19

10 For, behold, the amystery of godliness, how great is it! For, behold, I am bendless, and the punishment which is given from my hand is endless cpunishment, for dEndless is my name. Wherefore—

11 aEternal punishment is God’s punishment.

12 Endless punishment is God’s punishment.

Page 353 of the Encyclopedia of Mormonism says:

In LDS doctrine, to be damned means to be stopped, blocked, or limited in one's progress. Individuals are damned whenever they are prevented from reaching their full potential as children of God. Damnation is falling short of what one might have enjoyed if one had received and been faithful to the whole law of the gospel. In this sense, all who do not achieve the highest degree of the Celestial Kingdom are damned, even though they are saved in some degree of glory. They are damned in the sense that they will not enjoy an eternal increase or the continuation of the family unit in eternity (D&C 132:4, 19).

I think it's consistent with D & C 19 if you don't read too much into D & C 19 (which I think too many people do).

I am not sure I ever got a clear "voice" or "heartburn" answer from the Lord on the Book of Mormon being a true book. However, when I put it's doctrine in to practice, I find my life is happier and easier.

Ditto. The Prophet was spot on when he said a man would draw nearer to God by abiding by its precepts, as I've learnt for myself.

Personally, my favorite teaching in the Book of Mormon is that of the "fortunate fall." I love the concept that our mortality is all part of God's plan rather than a curse. Not only are we trying to return to a state of paradise, but by living in a state of non-paradise we are able to distinguish good from evil and learn to have true joy. This teaching is essential to the plan of salvation. The whole idea of opposition in all things for righteousness to come to pass is a perfect answer to the entire problem of evil. So I would have to say that 2 Nephi 2 is my favorite chapter.

Totally concur. The concept of opposition in all things is simply not as clearly defined or accessible in the Bible as it is in the BOM. And it's not just in 2 NE. The concept literally saturates the BOM from beginning to end.

The concept of opposition in all things is simply not as clearly defined or accessible in the Bible as it is in the BOM. And it's not just in 2 NE. The concept literally saturates the BOM from beginning to end.

Making us the only people I've come across who aren't perplexed by the 'problem of evil.'

Well, I don't believe Moroni's promise, and that is after putting it to the test on a number of occassions. Is there something in the LDS handbook that states that TBMs must always blame the seeker when Moroni's promise fails? If I had a nickle for every time I heard that argument, I wouldn't have to work.

I am completely and utterly at ease in being held accountable for my rejection of the BoM. If there is a god, I will have no shame in letting him know that I did all I knew how to receive a witness (supposedly he will already know this).

You don't "believe in the promise" = no real intent. A real intent is needed.

You don't "believe if there is a G-d" = hmmmmm how did you "put it to the test a number of occasions"? Part of the "test" is to pray to G-d so who were you praying to?

Sorry, not a surprise that you have never received an answer, but I wouldn't be at ease (at all) with this blatant rejection that is entirely based on a pre-emptive rejection.

Making us the only people I've come across who aren't perplexed by the 'problem of evil.'

Seriously. How many times have you heard people say that they don't believe in God because if he really loved us he wouldn't allow so much evil happen in the world? It is the refrain of millions ever since the first world war. And here is the Book of Mormon, an entire scripture that addresses this refrain with almost every page:

"And thus we see that except the Lord doth chasten his people with many afflictions, yea, except he doth visit them with death and with terror, and with famine and with all manner of pestilence, they will not remember him." - Helaman 12:3

The BOM doesn't just contain the Gospel of Jesus Christ. It contains the most pertinent answer to the 'problem of evil' in existence.

When I worked for the Anglican Church, our atheist philosophy lecturer confronted me on this point one afternoon. Having observed that I was a 'believer,' he wanted to know how I dealt with the 'problem of evil.' I didn't even know what he was talking about. It was a debate, he explained, that had been raging for centuries: Why would a perfect, loving God allow His creatures to be exposed to sin, death, suffering, etc. I was stunned. I explained to him that most eight-year-old Latter-day Saints could give him a pretty good basic answer to that question. When I had finished sharing what the BofM has to say on the subject, he agreed it was the best/only answer he'd ever heard. End of problem.

Please, I read the BoM three times between the ages of 12 and 20. I prayed fervently and fasted to know of it's truth and get a confirmation from the spirit. It never happened, so I began looking elsewhere for "truth."

Your mocking and devisive tone do little to add to the discussion. Your response actually does more to detract from the "spirit" than the original posters inquiry. The OP came with an honest and, what I considered, a though-provoking question.

Why is it that there is always something wrong with the person who studied the BOM and didn't get anything out of it including a spiritual confirmation that it was true? Just once I would love to hear a member say "I am sorry you weren't able to find what you were looking for. I wish you the best in your further journey and search for meaningful truth in life." Instead its always: "you read it wrong, prayed wrong, or didn't have enough faith". Who are they to judge?

There are 13 million members of the church who have accepted the BOM. However, more than half of those aren't even fully active. Compare that with the remaining 7 billion people in the world who have not accepted it. In other words, don't feel bad for not being able to get a confirmation. You are not in the minority when compared with the rest of the world's population.

Why is it that there is always something wrong with the person who studied the BOM and didn't get anything out of it including a spiritual confirmation that it was true? Just once I would love to hear a member say "I am sorry you weren't able to find what you were looking for. I wish you the best in your further journey and search for meaningful truth in life." Instead its always: "you read it wrong, prayed wrong, or didn't have enough faith". Who are they to judge?

There are 13 million members of the church who have accepted the BOM. However, more than half of those aren't even fully active. Compare that with the remaining 7 billion people in the world who have not accepted it. In other words, don't feel bad for not being able to get a confirmation. You are not in the minority when compared with the rest of the world's population.

You can't honestly state that this is "always" the case with post # 31 and the following posts.

We believe we can't judge, but we also believe we can be held accountable in not showing how to receive this witness in the way Moroni intended and in the exact way that he recommends. I would rather have someone call me "judgmental" in this life then have the Lord look at me in disappointment in the next life for being too afraid that the world would think that I was "judging" in sharing His message in His way.

I do hope you can also follow Moroni's promise and receive a witness that the Book of Mormon is true for if an honest truth seeker asks in faith, with real intent - it is impossible for not to receive an answer.

There is no verse in the old testsament that would be bad news for the new testament.

The one I pointed out would be (if you interpret it the way you are excluding out the Book of Mormon) because Deuteronomy was written before the New Testament was.

Of course, if, as I suggested, it only refers to the book of Deuteronomy itself, or if I may suggest now, if it applies to God's word whenever and wherever it exists (including outside of the Bible), then we have no problem.

There is one in Proverbs that says you are a liar if you add to God's word.

Did ya' read the one in Deuteronomy? And, say, if there is one in Proverbs, that would also cause problems for the New Testament as well, wouldn't it?

So I think it does apply to the BoM.. If you weren't dishonest, You would agree.

So you are saying, my friend, that even though Deuteronomy was written before the New Testament, the exclusive scripture doesn't apply to it, while in reference to the Book of Mormon, it does?

That's non-sequiter, my friend. You must apply the same points to your own set of scriptures before you apply them to the one's I believe in. Your verse will flunk parts of the New Testament, as well as the Book of Mormon, and yet, if you belive in the New Testament as God's word, well, that creates a dilemma. That's why I view it the way I do.

Best Wishes,

TAO

Why is it there is always something wrong with a person who has studied Christ and didn't get anything out of it including a spiritual confirmation that He was the savior? Just once I would love to hear a believer in Christ say "I am sorry you weren't able to find what you were looking for. I wish you the best in your further journey and search for meaningful truth in life". Instead of always: "you read it wrong, prayed wrong, or didn't have enough faith". Who are you to judge.

While not judging the individual. People who know the true love of Christ are certainly left wondering why Christ would deny what He promised to all. If one believes Christ to be true, and of infinite love, and true to his words, then we are left wondering which of the two elements is incomplete, Christ, or the individual seeking Christ who claims he has found nothing. Do we exhort Christ to try harder? Or do we exhort the individual to try harder?

I suggest you think about this... 7 billion people int the world have not accepted it "yet", not "not accepted it" unless you are implying that 13 billion people in the world have felt the spirit of the Lord touch them as they read the Book of Mormon and have not accepted it.

As to inactivity, the reasons are myriad and personal, and generally being personal reside within the reasoning and desires of the individual. The trend I have noticed is pride for the most part, sometimes an imagined slight, sometimes a presumption that their talents are not being used as they think they should be, all of which tends to go to pride. As a general rule.

I have met a few, very few who have never really sought the spirit and so simply went along for cultural reasons. This can only last so long in a church that requires so much of its members. If the spiritual commitment isn't there, the flesh will be all that much weaker.

You can't honestly state that this is "always" the case with post # 31 and the following posts.

We believe we can't judge, but we also believe we can be held accountable in not showing how to receive this witness in the way Moroni intended and in the exact way that he recommends. I would rather have someone call me "judgmental" in this life then have the Lord look at me in disappointment in the next life for being too afraid that the world would think that I was "judging" in sharing His message in His way.

I do hope you can also follow Moroni's promise and receive a witness that the Book of Mormon is true for if an honest truth seeker asks in faith, with real intent - it is impossible for not to receive an answer.

Thanks for your reply, and for not being judgemental, but aren't you proving my point with your last statement? - "it is impossible for (sic) not to receive an answer." In other words, if someone claims they studied and prayed about the BOM and didn't get confirmation then they must have studied wrong, prayed wrong, or didn't have enough faith?

Thanks for your reply, and for not being judgemental, but aren't you proving my point with your last statement? - "it is impossible for (sic) not to receive an answer." In other words, if someone claims they studied and prayed about the BOM and didn't get confirmation then they must have studied wrong, prayed wrong, or didn't have enough faith?

What if it is impossible not to receive an answer? Then what?

Ever since the Ezra Taft Benson, general authorities have constantly been emphasizing the importance of studying the Book of Mormon more than any of the other standard works.

What is in the Book of Mormon that is so valuable that we can't find in the Bible? What are specific unique teachings of the Book of Mormon that give it its worth?

That Jesus is the Christ, the Son of the Living God, and that God remembers His covenants. The Book of Mormon is a type to Christ. It's written to point people to Christ and is proof that God still reveals His will to His servants.

It's an amazing book.

Archived