Seriously No Politics ×

Priesthood And Edowment

inquiringmind

endowment is preparatory to a temple marriage, and a temple marriage (in this life or in the next) is necessary to enter the celestial kingdom.

I'm not sure about priesthood ordination? this: http://lds.org/new-era/1974/10/qa-questions-and-answers/qa-questions-and-answers?lang=eng&query=endowment

talks a bit about age requirements - or rather - that it is not an "age" per say, but rather spiritual maturity - that typically, if you are mature enough to be willing to serve a mission, or get married - this is when your first endowment is given.

I'm a female - and women (at least) do not need to hold any form of the priesthood to be endowed ;)

As far as I'm aware, the Melchizedic priesthood is a prerequisite for men to receive the endowment.

From my reading of the scriptures it appears that the requirements for the celestial kingdom are faith in Christ, repentance, baptism, receiving the gift of the holy ghost, and enduring to the end.

The Doctrine and Covenants says that there are multiple degrees within the celestial kingdom. It is my opinion that all temple covenants including the endowment or only necessary for advancement to the higher degrees within the the Celestial kingdom.

This is how I understand it:

foundational gospel principles and ordinances = lower degree of CK

Endowment = Middle degree of CK

Sealing = Highest degree of CK/ Exaltation

I

A bit of clarification:

[T]emple marriage (in this life or in the next) is necessary to enter the celestial kingdom.

Eternal marriage is not necessary to enter the Celestial Kingdom, just the highest degree.

I'm a female - and women (at least) do not need to hold any form of the priesthood to be endowed ;)

Before God lifted the ban against extending priesthood to those of African lineage, women of this lineage were not able to receive their endowments.

Before God lifted the ban against extending priesthood to those of African lineage, women of this lineage were not able to receive their endowments.

I hadn't ever thought about black women, in regards to the Priesthood ban. What kept them out of the Temple, since there is no Priesthood requirement for them?

Does one have to be ordained to the Mechizedek priesthood before endowment, is endowment necessary to enter the celestial kingdom?

For the Celestial Kingdom where it is described there are three 'levels' as we understand it today (I don't believe we have even a teaspoonful of information on the actual structure myself, that will come with further revelation when we need it), baptism of those over the age of eight is required...basically a ritual acceptance of God's Atonement that mirrors the inner acceptance.

For the highest degree where God fully shares all that he has promised with those who are willing to fully accept it :

For males over the age of eight....yes in regards to the priesthood, for endowment yes for all over the age of eight (except perhaps for those mentally below the age of eight, at this point they do not go through the ordinances if they cannot understand the implications of them, whether or not they will partake of the ordinances in the next life when their disabilities are removed, I don't believe we have received revelation on this, but I would assume that they will as God is a God of order and this would be orderly, consistent.)

I hadn't ever thought about black women, in regards to the Priesthood ban. What kept them out of the Temple, since there is no Priesthood requirement for them?

Pretty much the same thing that kept men out, the idea that it was not time for those of African lineage to receive higher ordinances.

From the Gospel Principles manual (if you haven't gotten one yet, I encourage you to do so):

“They are they who received the testimony of Jesus, and believed on his name and were baptized, … that by keeping the commandments they might be washed and cleansed from all their sins, and receive the Holy Spirit.” These are they who overcome the world by their faith. They are just and true so that the Holy Ghost can seal their blessings upon them. (See D&C 76:51–53.) Those who inherit the highest degree of the celestial kingdom, who become gods, must also have been married for eternity in the temple (see D&C 131:1–4). All who inherit the celestial kingdom will live with Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ forever (see D&C 76:62).

Through the work we do in temples, all people who have lived on the earth can have an equal opportunity to receive the fulness of the gospel and the ordinances of salvation so they can inherit a place in the highest degree of celestial glory.

http://lds.org/manua...dgment?lang=eng

Jane Manning James, a black female member of the church, for nearly sixty years was “attached as a Servitor for eternity to the prophet Joseph Smith and in this capacity be connected with his family and be obedient to him in all things in the Lord as a faithful Servitor” (Salt Lake Temple Adoption Record, May 18, 1894, Book A, p. 26). The First Presidency had turned down her several requests that she have the blessing and offer extended to her by Emma Smith, to be sealed to the Smith family as a daughter.

An exchange of letters, in the Community of Christ archives, between Steven L. Shields, an historian of the Community, and and FLDS priesthood leader and Stake President Wagner Saende reveal the FLDS position on these matters. Those people cursed with a black skin will be raised in the second resurrection to serve the exalted raised in the first resurrection. According to Saende, blacks were part of God's second creation, not the first of Adam and Eve. Blacks are manlike in form but not spirit, and thus are subhuman, only fit to serve man in God's scheme of things. Saende traced this theology back to Brigham Young and Lyman Wight.

According to Saende, blacks were part of God's second creation, not the first of Adam and Eve. Blacks are manlike in form but not spirit, and thus are subhuman, only fit to serve man in God's scheme of things. Saende traced this theology back to Brigham Young and Lyman Wight.

LDS splinter groups of course always trace their beliefs back to earlier Later-day Saint prophets. That doesn't make FLDS beliefs an accurate reflection of LDS beliefs. There are reasons such groups splintered off.

As for Jane Manning James, though they were unable to honour her requests for sealings at the time, Church authorities regularly reserved for her a seat at the centre-front of the tabernacle, and Pres Joseph F Smith himself spoke at her funeral. A few years before her passing, she provided a short sketch of her life, with this conclusion: 'And I want to say right here that my faith in the gospel of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is as strong today—nay, it is if possible stronger—than it was the day I was first baptized.'

LDS splinter groups of course always trace their beliefs back to earlier Later-day Saint prophets. That doesn't make FLDS beliefs an accurate reflection of LDS beliefs. There are reasons such groups splintered off.

As for Jane Manning James, though they were unable to honour her requests for sealings at the time, Church authorities regularly reserved for her a seat at the centre-front of the tabernacle, and Pres Joseph F Smith himself spoke at her funeral. A few years before her passing, she provided a short sketch of her life, with this conclusion: 'And I want to say right here that my faith in the gospel of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is as strong today—nay, it is if possible stronger—than it was the day I was first baptized.'

Within the restrictions of racial privilege of the time, Jane Manning James indeed enjoyed a privileged relationship with the Joseph Smith and Hyrum Smith families for sixty years. She petitioned several times before being sealed as a servant to Joseph Smith for the eternities. I have not checked but perhaps new sealings have been bestowed upon her.

All Mormon splinter groups trace their roots back to Joseph Smith, indeed. Such 'doctrinal rooting' is not unusual anymore in Mormonism than in any grouping that believes in a common religious origin and revelator. I have never had much care of FLDS doctrines, although I have known several polygamists in my life, and when a young man, I considered another another young man of a polygamous family to be my friend. Saende, dead for some time, had connections to Aryan groups and other assemblies with disturbing race ideology.

I find the idea that one must be endowed and married in a LDS Temple to enjoy the highest blessings of glory curious in light of this scripture...

"3 Nephi 11

31Behold, verily, verily, I say unto you, I will declare unto you my doctrine.

32And this is my doctrine, and it is the doctrine which the Father hath given unto me; and I bear record of the Father, and the Father beareth record of me, and the Holy Ghost beareth record of the Father and me; and I bear record that the Father commandeth all men, everywhere, to repent and believe in me.

33And whoso believeth in me, and is baptized, the same shall besaved; and they are they who shall inherit the kingdom of God.

34And whoso believeth not in me, and is not baptized, shall be damned.

35Verily, verily, I say unto you, that this is my doctrine, and I bear record of it from the Father; and whoso believeth in me believeth in the Father also; and unto him will the Father bear record of me, for he will visit him with fire and with the Holy Ghost.

36And thus will the Father bear record of me, and the Holy Ghost will bear record unto him of the Father and me; for the Father, and I, and the Holy Ghost are one.

37And again I say unto you, ye must repent, and become as a little child, and be baptized in my name, or ye can in nowise receive these things.

38And again I say unto you, ye must repent, and be baptized in my name, and become as a little child, or ye can in nowise inherit the kingdom of God.

39Verily, verily, I say unto you, that this is my doctrine, and whoso buildeth upon this buildeth upon my rock, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against them.

40And whoso shall declare more or less than this, and establish it for my doctrine, the same cometh of evil, and is not built upon my rock; but he buildeth upon a sandy foundation, and the gates of hell stand open to receive such when the floods come and the winds beat upon them."

But I am just a simple country-boy, maybe I just don't read that well?

I don't think that the priesthood was always required to get endowments. One of my ancestors, Isaac Perry Decker, was a six-year old when he was captured by Indians. The story goes that the Indians killed all the boys except him because he was wearing marked garments. A family history book I have says that the Nauvoo Sealing Record Index p. 415 shows that little kids went through at least the initiatory ordinances. I don't know whether it was correct for this to happen though; it took a while for the Church to get full control over the ordinances.

No, priesthood is a prerequisite for endowments and sealings.

Two other questions:

- Were teenagers of African descent allowed to go and participate in baptisms for the dead?

- If a sealed LDS couple adopted a child of African descent, was the child allowed to be sealed to them?

- Were teenagers of African descent allowed to go and participate in baptisms for the dead?

Clearly, adults were. From Jane Manning James's own history again: 'I have lived right here in Salt Lake City for fifty-two years, and have had the privilege of going into the temple and being baptized for some of my dead.'

- If a sealed LDS couple adopted a child of African descent, was the child allowed to be sealed to them?

Interesting question. I don't know the answer, but I believe it would be yes.

I don't have a source, so I probably shouldn't answer but I remember hearing this topic talked about in a Mormon Stories podcast and the answer was no.

Pretty much the same thing that kept men out, the idea that it was not time for those of African lineage to receive higher ordinances.

Thanks, Calmoriah.

This, of course, was just one of the things that bothered me. I can understand it from a cultural standpoint. What I couldn't understand is how it could be considered revelation from God.

I think you may need to rethink the link between priesthood and endowments/sealings.

Hmmm, I'm not getting this (sorry, I'm probably just being dense). I realize there is a connection, but I came into the church, after women were allowed to go to Temple on their own (without a Priesthood-holder husband). So, I'm still not understanding how black men, being denied the Priesthood, would keep black women from receiving, at least, the initiatory and endowment.

So, I'm still not understanding how black men, being denied the Priesthood, would keep black women from receiving, at least, the initiatory and endowment.

Because women of African lineage (not black women, as you've mistakenly written) were also denied the priesthood for a time.

From Pres Ezra Taft Benson:

'I believe a proper understanding or background will immeasurably help prepare our youth for the temple. This understanding, I believe, will foster within them a desire to seek their priesthood blessings just as Abraham sought his' (emphasis added).

'To enter into the order of the Son of God is the equivalent today of entering into the fullness of the Melchizedek Priesthood, which is only received in the house of the Lord.'

'Adam and his descendants entered into the priesthood order of God. Today we would say they went to the House of the Lord and received their blessings.'

'The order of priesthood spoken of in the scriptures is sometimes referred to as the patriarchal order because it came down from father to son. But this order is otherwise described in modern revelation as an order of family government where a man and woman enter into a covenant with God—just as did Adam and Eve—to be sealed for eternity, to have posterity, and to do the will and work of God throughout their mortality' (emphasis added).

'When our children obey the Lord and go to the temple to receive their blessings and enter into the marriage covenant, they enter into the same order of the priesthood that God instituted in the very beginning with father Adam.'

From the Lord Himself:

'uild a house to my name, for the Most High to dwell therein. For there is not a place found on earth that he may come to and restore again that which was lost unto you, or which he hath taken away, even the fulness of the priesthood' (D&C 124:27-28).

'In the celestial glory there are three heavens or degrees; and in order to obtain the highest, a man must enter into this order of the priesthood [meaning the new and everlasting covenant of marriage]...' (D&C 131:1-2).

Because women of African lineage (not black women, as you've mistakenly written) were also denied the priesthood for a time.

When I use the term "black", I am almost always referring to those of African lineage.

So, it wasn't just a Priesthood ban, but also a ban on Priesthood blessings that extended to all of African lineage? I thought blacks were allowed baptism, before 1978? Aren't those Priesthood blessings?

Archived