Seriously No Politics ×

Remarriages In The Temple

Duncan

If someone was married and sealed in the Temple before and later divorced how long of a process does it take to get that first sealing cancelled and then to get married again in the Temple?

Being a male, I didn't have to get my prior sealing cancelled, but I did need the permission of the 1st Presidency to be sealed again - which is essentially the same process. From the date that I gave my Bishop the letter to the 1st Presidency, it took about three months to get their response.

If someone was married and sealed in the Temple before and later divorced how long of a process does it take to get that first sealing cancelled and then to get married again in the Temple?

It varies but there is no set time according to the handbook (just checked). It can depend on what the divorce was for, depends on the bishop, etc. I would start the process as soon as one gets engaged even if the date isn't set as I've heard of stories where the paperwork gets lost or a bishop has dragged his feet, etc. so give yourself plenty of lead time as you don't want to be having to check the mailbox on your way to the temple.

There is a minimum time in the case of adultery where the ones involved marry and that is they must have been married for at least five years before requesting a cancellation or clearance in order to sealed to their new spouses.

I suppose that it is just cynical old me,but I feel( and feel is the operative word with few facts to back it up) that much is done for those people who suffer through a divorce,to appease them because of the times we live in. My reading of the New Testament statements of Christ indicates that what we currently do with sealings and children and spouses is a long way from His preferred outcome.

I suppose that it is just cynical old me,but I feel( and feel is the operative word with few facts to back it up) that much is done for those people who suffer through a divorce,to appease them because of the times we live in. My reading of the New Testament statements of Christ indicates that what we currently do with sealings and children and spouses is a long way from His preferred outcome.

You're probably right. We'll just have to file broken homes and divorces next to not living the Law of Consecration and other things that are probably not His preferred outcome. Until the Millennium.

What happened to the churches stance to defend marriage at all costs? Isn't divorce the single most threat to marriage both within the church and without. Isn't divorce something that actually rips families apart and causes actual harm to children? And isn't this something that Christ actually said something about? And isn't it a solemn promise made to God that they are breaking? Do oaths mean anything or don't they?

Oh wait. I guess it is easier for heterosexuals to attack gay marriage, something that they know will never effect them at all rather than attack something that heterosexuals may have to actually deal with like divorce. Something that does not harm children. Something that strengthens families rather than ripping them apart. I wonder of any of the usual suspects that fervently defend marriage will say anything about defending marriage against divorce??

I think that people have no problem focusing on other peoples issues rather than addressing their own. Something that Christ also had something to say about. When I see the day that members of the church spend literally millions of dollars fighting divorce, then I will actually believe that they care about defending marriage. Until then, it is just empty gesture fighting something that they know will never be a temptation to them. Classic mote/beam issue.

You are derailing. This is a straight forward question, stay on topic.

It varies but there is no set time according to the handbook (just checked). It can depend on what the divorce was for, depends on the bishop, etc. I would start the process as soon as one gets engaged even if the date isn't set as I've heard of stories where the paperwork gets lost or a bishop has dragged his feet, etc. so give yourself plenty of lead time as you don't want to be having to check the mailbox on your way to the temple.

There is a minimum time in the case of adultery where the ones involved marry and that is they must have been married for at least five years before requesting a cancellation or clearance in order to sealed to their new spouses.

I believe there was a time in the late 80's where Temple Marriage between Adulter's was prohibited. The it was changed by the Prophet.

I don't think the handbook says it is 5 years and a go, just that you can start asking at 5 years. There is nothing quite so galling to a parent whose spouse cheated during their Temple marriage, to hear her children talk about their other parent's temple sealing to the the person with whom they cheated, as though such marriages are really or should really be treated so lightly.

I don't think the handbook says it is 5 years and a go, just that you can start asking at 5 years.

Sorry, I thought I made that clear. They have to wait five years after marriage before making a request. There is no time limit given for how long it may take for the request to be granted or even any guarantee that it will be granted.

Archived