Seriously No Politics ×

What Is Going Wrong?

I have addressed your points. You just don't like the way they look.

You are the one that states the church has trouble addressing questions of members.

I have shown you how the church addresses members questions through the exhortations of prophets and apostles.

I have shown you how members of the church have put together FAIR as an academic approach towards many of these questions.

You on the other hand have yet to show these things are of no value. You have not shown anything beyond a hackneyed term BRT.

Its interesting that my FIL is a Stake Pres and my Bro. is a Bishop and the number 1 thing on both their list is members falling away due to reading academically slanted websites about Mormonism. FIL had 6 seperate families have their names removed from the church records within the last year and both are constantly having members drop out of activity and blame it on church history stuff they read online. FAIR does not seem to be working 100%. I think the OP has a valid question and I tried to attempt to answer, but you have derailed it into a completely different territory. My opinions are formulated based on what I have seen personally and your arguments do nothing to convince me otherwise, but prove my point about the 4 reactions members have about other members who have questions. Obviously the OP and myself don't know what we are talking about because we are not C level execs which obviously gives you extra credibility on the matter. You have won. Bask in the glory. I am done wasting my time on this thread.

Your arguments are empty complaints. I have shown that your basis premise if flawed. And no, you probably are a well meaning, but completely off base individual who thinks he has the wingnut to make the universe safe for the church once again. My only point being a CFO is that your ideas and similar ones have trotted into my office many times. If I might borrow your words.... "my opinions are formulated based on what I have seen personally and your arguments do nothing to convince me otherwise". ;}

Now put that in your credibility hat and think about it.

I would say that you are a better person ... maybe .... than me or other members. I always have something to repent of. Repentance is simply another word for change. I am not perfect, but must strive to be so, that way I can earn grace. I’m pretty sure that’s why I go to church and take the sacrament.

There is no "better" comparison going on here. Change is the only constant in the world. When anyone says they "no longer doubt", THAT causes concern. Imho, nobody every gets beyond doubt. And anyone who claims (and believes) that they have somehow transcended the "ability" to doubt is cruising for a nasty fall. Not from grace. But from certitude.

I would have you to consider a simple suggestion from someone that has been in similar shoes to yours. Beware of pride my friend; Pride in our own logic does not equate to superior direction and beliefs. However, if you are a member now, and have your name removed, I can promise you that the day the church sends its letter of confirmation, you will know the church is true. And, it will no longer be a matter of faith, it will be pure knowledge. Of course, you will be welcomed back. Before you make a change into that direction, I would have you Pray to Heavenly Father to know what it feels like to not have the Holy Ghost as a constant companion. I bless you to have the answer and KNOW, not just believe.

Mark

I have no intention of resigning from the LDS Church. Or doing/saying anything that would be taken as hostile or disrespectful, etc. So I am not worried about getting tossed out.

I appreciate the sense of concern over my welfare. You'll just have to accept that I believe I'm not a prideful person. Anyone who sincerely believes the saying, "I know practically nothing about almost everything", will have a difficult time living with pride: the continual pratfalls and daily reminders of ignorance tend to disabuse one of pride....

There is no "better" comparison going on here. Change is the only constant in the world. When anyone says they "no longer doubt", THAT causes concern. Imho, nobody every gets beyond doubt.

And yet the scriptures have this to say:

Mormon 9:25

25 And whosoever shall believe in my name, doubting nothing, unto him will I confirm all my words, even unto the ends of the earth.

Acts 10:20

20 Arise therefore, and get thee down, and go with them, doubting nothing: for I have sent them.

Acts 11:12

12 And the Spirit bade me go with them, nothing doubting. Moreover these six brethren accompanied me, and we entered into the man’s house:

Mormon 9:21

21 Behold, I say unto you that whoso believeth in Christ, doubting nothing, whatsoever he shall ask the Father in the name of Christ it shall be granted him; and this promise is unto all, even unto the ends of the earth.