Seriously No Politics ×

Ldstech Nearing Release Of Gospel Library On Wp7

I mentioned LDS Tools in the "In the News" forum, but barely 40 people viewed it, and I suspect this forum here is the better place for such things anyway.

I suspect many of us here know about the LDS apps for iPhone/iPod and Android that the church has developed and made available for these devices. I installed LDS Tools and LDS Gospel Library on my wife's iPod, and though it is hard to get her "into" using it, I may succeed eventually.

Well, the church is working on porting LDS Gospel Library to the Windows Phone 7 platform. This is going to be pretty soon, in fact. I have what appears to be a advanced test version now installed on my device and it is slick!

wp7gl.png?w=160&h=300

I mentioned LDS Tools in the "In the News" forum, but barely 40 people viewed it, and I suspect this forum here is the better place for such things anyway.

I suspect many of us here know about the LDS apps for iPhone/iPod and Android that the church has developed and made available for these devices. I installed LDS Tools and LDS Gospel Library on my wife's iPod, and though it is hard to get her "into" using it, I may succeed eventually.

Well, the church is working on porting LDS Gospel Library to the Windows Phone 7 platform. This is going to be pretty soon, in fact. I have what appears to be a advanced test version now installed on my device and it is slick!

Will this work for IPads? I find the others to hard to do much searching or reading on.

Will this work for IPads? I find the others to hard to do much searching or reading on.

While a lot of iPod/iPhone apps work on iPad, too, I don't know if this one will work on it or not. If you can download it from the app store, then it probably will work. Give it a try! But the tech.lds.org website doesn't include iPad in the list of supported devices for Gospel Library.

If this app works like the new LDS Tools for Wp7 we are in for a real treat. Do you think it will be weeks or months before it is released?

I would guess weeks. I'm currently testing what I think is a pre-beta version of it, and it is working quite well. It's a bit glitchy when I've tried to download and use the Old Testament, however. I'm told they're working on it.

It's my understanding that they've been working tirelessly on this project in order to get it released before Wp7 fails completely.

You're quite the curmudgeon on this! Over 2 million sales of WP7 worldwide as of January, and therefore I think possibly it cannot be called a flop, nor a fizzle. Time will tell, of course, but oddly enough, WP7 is projected to by Gartner and IDC to be second in market share to Android by 2015. Another prognosticator, Pyramid, expects it to be No. 1 by 2015 (or sooner).

I have a feeling that your tech industry prediction skills are slightly inferior to these three organizations.

When the phone was launched a friend of mine and an iPhone fanatic told me that WP7 would flop as badly and as quickly as the Kin. Just recently he admitted to me that he was wrong.

There are approaching 10,000 apps in the WP7 Marketplace (six of them -- soon to be eight -- are mine, btw), which after only 6.5 months is a better showing than either iPhone or Android app stores in their first 6 months.

If this app works like the new LDS Tools for Wp7 we are in for a real treat. Do you think it will be weeks or months before it is released?

I just got an email this morning from LDSTech announcing that LDS Gospel Library is now in the WP7 Marketplace! It will probably be available for download in the next few hours (it is not as of this moment).

Thank you for keeping me updated. I downloaded everything yesterday and it is as good as I thought it would be. Many thanks to you and please give my thanks to all who worked on this app to get it out so quickly (that is compared to me having my iphone3 almost 2 years before Gospel Library came out). You have all produced a great piece of work that works very well.

You're quite the curmudgeon on this! Over 2 million sales of WP7 worldwide as of January, and therefore I think possibly it cannot be called a flop, nor a fizzle. Time will tell, of course, but oddly enough, WP7 is projected to by Gartner and IDC to be second in market share to Android by 2015. Another prognosticator, Pyramid, expects it to be No. 1 by 2015 (or sooner).

I have a feeling that your tech industry prediction skills are slightly inferior to these three organizations.

When the phone was launched a friend of mine and an iPhone fanatic told me that WP7 would flop as badly and as quickly as the Kin. Just recently he admitted to me that he was wrong.

There are approaching 10,000 apps in the WP7 Marketplace (six of them -- soon to be eight -- are mine, btw), which after only 6.5 months is a better showing than either iPhone or Android app stores in their first 6 months.

I'm basing my negative view entirely on my experience of buying an employee a new phone at the local Verizon store a few weeks ago, and having the salesman talk to us about the iPhone for a few minutes, then the Android phones, then the Blackberrys, then the regular phones, and then pointing to their WP7 phones (phone?) and telling us "not to worry" about those, leaving us with the impression that they wouldn't be around much longer.

Maybe he just wasn't getting a good commission on them...?

No, it's just that WP7 is late to the game.

If Windows can avoid porting their OS to the smartphone and tabloid markets (and I'm impressed with the Dell win7 phone) and instead just plain old write a new OS geared toward that architecture, then they can really clean up because of one thing:

Office.

I have an Android (Samsung Captivate) which I love. I will reserve picking up my tablet in hopes of seeing a functional spreadsheet application. If MS can come up with a light and clean tablet based on OS with a full or nearly full version of Excel, I will have made my choice. I think you'd see a LOT of business'ers go that way as well.

Ah man... this competition is sooooo good for the consumer. I am so glad Android has been as successful. No knock to Apple and iOS, I just want some choices.