Seriously No Politics ×

Salesmen

More often than not I seem to bicker, argue, and disagree with salesmen. It doesn't matter what the product is or the demographic of the salesman. The common denominator is me, unless there's some universal constant among salesmen. Many times the disagreement quickly turns awkward to the point of me just walking away.

Is it just me? Am I the only one who has this happen to them?

More often than not I seem to bicker, argue, and disagree with salesmen. It doesn't matter what the product is or the demographic of the salesman. The common denominator is me, unless there's some universal constant among salesmen. Many times the disagreement quickly turns awkward to the point of me just walking away.

Salemen are not known to giving full disclosure of the product they're selling and we've all been burned when, as the consumer, we figure out what we should have asked after the fact. You're in good company Mars. I would say it's still very common to see a 'NO Solicitors' sign at many front doors. Most individuals do not care to deal with salesmen.

i would say that is a combination.

a salesman, has to sale, therefore the salesman will hold a response, not answer a question, or dance around a issue. it is not hard to know when a salesman is doing this. I get very annoyed when sales personal will not answer my questions directly.

Don't blame yourself, blame the nature of the sales force.

Once a phram rep went into my Dad's office and made some claims about the medication. My Dad informed the rep the claim could not be true, then my Dad showed the salesman mathematically (chemical formulas and such) how the claim could not be true...the phram rep was dumbfounded and didn't have response.

I think all it takes for us to be able to treat a salesman with respect and kindness is to have someone we deeply love (like a father, mother, wife, husband, or child) try to make a living as a salesman.

I know nothing helps me to be kinder to someone than to think of how i would want someone else to react to my loved on if they were in my shoes and it was my loved one trying to sell them something.

We all know that there are jerky salesman out there, but that seems like a poor justification for automatically treating them all like they are jerks.

Edited by bluebell

I don't treat them like jerks, the conversation just gets heated quickly. I don't abuse them verbally, insult them, or in any way denigrate them. I just don't regularly have strong flowery loving hippie approved moments with them.

My dad *was* a salesman for a number of years. I was a door to door salesman. I worked at Best Buy, Radio Shack, EBC Computers in Salt Lake, and Mervyns in Texas for a combined 5 or so years of retail. I know what it's like to be the salesman and not try to dupe someone but genuinely help sell them something.

I try not to be combative, I just know what I want and I certainly don't want to be led down the path by the salesman. ~shrugs~ It probably is just me.

I don't treat them like jerks, the conversation just gets heated quickly. I don't abuse them verbally, insult them, or in any way denigrate them. I just don't regularly have strong flowery loving hippie approved moments with them.

My dad *was* a salesman for a number of years. I was a door to door salesman. I worked at Best Buy, Radio Shack, EBC Computers in Salt Lake, and Mervyns in Texas for a combined 5 or so years of retail. I know what it's like to be the salesman and not try to dupe someone but genuinely help sell them something.

I try not to be combative, I just know what I want and I certainly don't want to be led down the path by the salesman. ~shrugs~ It probably is just me.

My post wasn't a personal condemnation of your post Mars. I'm sorry if it came off that way. It was just a commentary on how to be able to deal with a salesman if you (general you, not you personally) have trouble respecting them or always assume they are out to get you.

I think all it takes for us to be able to treat a salesman with respect and kindness is to have someone we deeply love (like a father, mother, wife, husband, or child) try to make a living as a salesman.

I know nothing helps me to be kinder to someone than to think of how i would want someone else to react to my loved on if they were in my shoes and it was my loved one trying to sell them something.

We all know that there are jerky salesman out there, but that seems like a poor justification for automatically treating them all like they are jerks.

When I've found the need to buy a car from a dealership, I've learned that I've never had a good experience if I know the saleman personally but also didn't appreciate the businesses that was so large one feels unimportant as a customer. When both sides feel like they got what they needed at the best possible price, those are the salespeople that I respect the best.

It is hard to find an occupation that does not in some way involve the "selling" of some good or service or idea,to someone else who may or may not need such. No matter how removed our occupation may seem from the traditional sales jobs,we all walk in the salesman's shoes.Hence,it behooves us to be at least a bit charitable,especially those on straight commission!

I've never argued with a salesperson. If I am out shopping, I'm usually glad to have a salesperson there to help me. Now an unsolicited salesperson (door to door or on the phone) is a different thing altogether. I just say "no thank you" and hang up or close the door. What type of arguments do you enter in to with a salesperson? If I find them unhelpful, I just say, "Well, thank you anyway" and continue shopping in the other direction.

blackstrap: There's the partnership between the interested customer and the producer. When the fair price is agreed on, the transaction is initiated and both parties benefit. I'm perfectly fine with this, but I don't call it 'sales.' Sales and marketing are the broadcasting of the producer that they have a product. Sometimes those practices are intrusive. In those cases, I know I don't feel like a business partner, I feel like a target. It puts me off.

ktg: It varies. And it's difficult to describe. I disagreed with a Best Buy salesman once because I think 3D TV's are gimmicky and just a fad. It ended awkwardly. A Verizon employee got me so frustrated I walked away. He started to argue with me about how I'd use a smartphone. I argued with a landscaper over the idea of charging an extra 20% just to dye concrete curbing when all they do is add a $5 bottle of dye to the concrete mix.

It's probably just me. They want to defend their business practices and if I think they're full of it I won't back down.

It's probably just me. They want to defend their business practices and if I think they're full of it I won't back down.

I don't think it's just you. It's probably pretty common. It might help your frustration though if you always keep control of the conversation and try to get them to answer ONLY your questions about the product and if they just don't get it, find another salesperson. :pardon: I usually already know what I want before I walk in to a store because I tend to research things and read a lot of user reviews on big ticket items. Maybe that's why I don't usually have a conflict with the salespeople.

I think all it takes for me to treat them with respect is for them to not lie to me. When a salesman calls on the phone the first thing I ask is what are you selling. Invariably they answe that they are not selling anything but only calling to let me know about some great opportunity. That is the point when asked them to quit lying to me and hang up.

As a career sales person(office equipment for the last dozen years). I also train and manage a very small sales staff for the company I work for. Despite that, I am inclined to agree.

I don't typically like or trust the a sales people in general. Most seem more motivated by making money than actually suiting a persons needs. There are exceptions to the rule and I take note of what they are doing right and try to follow suit, if applicable.

I could write several pages on what you need to do, to do things right in sales but I won't bother with it, as it would be absolutely boring to most folks.

To sum it up. A sales person that seeks to place the needs of the customer above their own needs, will likely do well in the long run.

Edited by Mudcat