Urgent Request For Information On The Council Of The Gods

Nathair/|\

My parents, who have a bit of a fundamentalist bent (they still get upset that I have long hair and want to play D&D even though I am 34), have recently become upset concerning my interactions with the Tuatha de Dannan and their Welsh compatriots.  They have demanded scriptural references supporting my position.  I will be sending them Dan Peterson's Nephi and his Asherah and one of David Bokovoy's papers, as well as whatever I can find. However, in the interest of urgency, and getting them off my back; I am asking for help finding references on the council of the gods and other scriptures concerning lesser gods.

Thank you for your help,

Yours under the frustrated oaks,

Nathair /|\

My parents, who have a bit of a fundamentalist bent (they still get upset that I have long hair and want to play D&D even though I am 34), have recently become upset concerning my interactions with the Tuatha de Dannan and their Welsh compatriots.  They have demanded scriptural references supporting my position.  I will be sending them Dan Peterson's Nephi and his Asherah and one of David Bokovoy's papers, as well as whatever I can find. However, in the interest of urgency, and getting them off my back; I am asking for help finding references on the council of the gods and other scriptures concerning lesser gods.

Thank you for your help,

Nathair /|\

You are 34. Your parents can't demand anything from you.

H.

Thank you for your help,

Nathair /|\

The standard divine council scriptures are Gen 6:2, 4; Deut 32:8-9, 43 (LXX and DSS); 33:2; 1 Kgs 22:19-22; Ps 29:1; 82; 89;5-7; Job 1:6; 2:1; Zech 3. Michael Heiser's papers on the topic are pretty good. Poke around this website.

Thank you for your help,

Nathair /|\

Tuatha de Dannan was one of my warriors when I played D and D a number of years ago. Have you considered WOW?

The standard divine council scriptures are Gen 6:2, 4; Deut 32:8-9, 43 (LXX and DSS); 33:2; 1 Kgs 22:19-22; Ps 29:1; 82; 89;5-7; Job 1:6; 2:1; Zech 3. Michael Heiser's papers on the topic are pretty good. Poke around this website.

Thank you, I texted those references to my Dad as well as the DCP paper and David Bokovoy's "Ye really are gods."

Tuatha de Dannan was one of my warriors when I played D and D a number of years ago. Have you considered WOW?

Why would you name one character after a whole race? That would be like naming him "the Russians" or something like that. Sadly, my brain doesn't work right for games like WOW. (they also cost money beyond the initial investment of books, paper and dice.)

Son, the term fundamentalist in the Mormon context has a meaning that does not describe your parents. Calling us very conservative would be appropriate. We wear that label proudly. Regarding your hair, you know that you have a certain serious matter in front of you, and being well groomed helps your cause. D&D hasn't been a discussion for years. The request for scripture references was for evidence of "lesser gods" - thanks for sending references to the council of gods; not sure yet if they address lesser gods vs spirits present at the Grand Council. How do you define lesser gods vs so-called gods like Ra and his ilk? I look forward to all references found in the LDS Standard Works. I will read the articles you sent. They look interesting.

Let's see if I can explain my position. The only true Gods, as I see it, are Heavenly Father, Heavenly Mother, Jesus Christ and the Holy Ghost. Anybody else is a lesser god, as SD put it. As I mentioned, I don't like the word "gods" for them, but if I used any other term, nobody would know what I am talking about. Djinn might be useful, or deva, but those are not commonly known terms. David Bokovoy pointed out in the article I mentioned above that they, we, and the Abrahamic deities are all the same species, but only the four above hold the authority, rank, power and prestige I am concerned with for the purposes of this discussion. In fact, I hold that we and the "lesser gods" are equals before Christ,

Easier solution: Move out of your parent's house.

Oh, I don't live with them, my children do. I can't resolve that immediately, definitely not until I resolve the other situation.

Son, the term fundamentalist in the Mormon context has a meaning that does not describe your parents. Calling us very conservative would be appropriate. We wear that label proudly. Regarding your hair, you know that you have a certain serious matter in front of you, and being well groomed helps your cause. D&D hasn't been a discussion for years. The request for scripture references was for evidence of "lesser gods" - thanks for sending references to the council of gods; not sure yet if they address lesser gods vs spirits present at the Grand Council. How do you define lesser gods vs so-called gods like Ra and his ilk? I look forward to all references found in the LDS Standard Works. I will read the articles you sent. They look interesting.

Hello Sam's Dad... Welcome to the Board...

Garden Girl... from the beautiful central Oregon coast.

I think using the term "divine beings" or "divine council" works better than "lesser gods." There are many layers in LDS teaching of divine beings, not all are gods. And of the gods, not all are fully divine yet (As in Abraham 3, we have a divine council, yet they are not exalted and received full glory).

Also, in LDS belief, we only worship God the Father and in some ways, Jesus Christ. We do not worship Heavenly Mother (not a core doctrine that she exists, btw. Eliza R Snow does not establish Church doctrine with her hymns) or the Holy Ghost, even though they are also divine beings.

That the ancients believed in a divine council does not mean they believed in it the way we do today. God provides to all nations some of his truth. We just do not know who has/had more: ancient Jews or us?

Thank you for your help,

Nathair /|\

Stories about the Divine Council were common in both ancient Egypt and in Mesopotamia, but of the most immediate interest to you should be Theodore Mullen, Jr., The Assembly of the Gods: The Divine Council in Canaanite and Early Hebrew Literature, Harvard Semitic Monographs 24 (Chico, Calif.: Scholars Press/Ann Arbor: Edwards Bros., 1980). It is the most thorough. You may also want to take a look at a similar discussion on this Board: MDDB LINK

Here Here. You don't have to justify your religious beliefs to anyone.

It's much nicer to have parents who try to understand you than to have parents who could care less about what you believe. Blowing someone off simply because you don't have to do something they requested is what juveniles do to show they have power and not something someone who is looking to establish long term, deep relationships would do....though there are times when boundaries need to be set, one just needs to be sure that the reason one is setting those boundaries are for worthwhile, constructive reasons.

Sam's Dad, I don't know what is going on at home, but I do know on this board your son comes across as a wonderful, thoughtful, compassionate and generous soul who I would love to have as part of my family. You deserve to be very proud of him, in my opinion.

It's much nicer to have parents who try to understand you than to have parents who could care less about what you believe. Blowing someone off simply because you don't have to do something they requested is what juveniles do to show they have power and not something someone who is looking to establish long term, deep relationships would do....though there are times when boundaries need to be set, one just needs to be sure that the reason one is setting those boundaries are for worthwhile, constructive reasons.

Sam's Dad, I don't know what is going on at home, but I do know on this board your son comes across as a wonderful, thoughtful, compassionate and generous soul who I would love to have as part of my family. You deserve to be very proud of him, in my opinion.

Thank you, Cal. You don't know how much it helps me to hear you say that right now.

Sam's Dad...

I agree with Cal about Sam. I share a somewhat "kindred spirit" with Nathair...Sam... though not as deeply into the formal Druid message. Enough of my own worldview though that I can appreciate him and try and understand the person he seems to be here through his posts.

from the beach on a showery afternoon, which will cause our priesthood quorums to have to barbecue outside in the rain for our ward get together this afternoon. Sigh...

GG

When you ask your parents for money or other support they have the right to write the contract on what has to be done to receive that money. Mom

We're not supposed to discuss personal matters like this on this board.

When you ask your parents for money or other support they have the right to write the contract on what has to be done to receive that money. Mom

Nathair is right about personal matters not to be discussed, but just to let you know I make a point of reading his comments (they often give me something very worthwhile to think about and at the very least make me smile) and I don't recall him ever saying anything negative about family life, just that it was complicated and he could use our prayers nor was there any indication that he was anticipating doing anything but fulfill his responsibilities to the best of his abilities.

Having been in the role of both the parent and the adult child when money is involved, I have found both roles to be very difficult to endure, as an adult child there is a great sense of failure and embarrassment and feeling that I was disappointing others, as an adult parent there is a sense that I have let down my kids by not preparing them well enough for the world nor taught them how to make the best choices for themselves and their own families, there is also a desire to be able to show love and compassion through being very generous with help to the best of my ability while also being worried that I might perpetuate a sense of dependence or not allow my child the full benefit of the growth that comes when under challengingly circumstances. The times it worked out the best that I've seen in my own family and others were the times when parents and adult children knew the other was also approaching the negotiations out of love and trusted each other enough to fully communicate their concerns and their plans so that there were no surprises later on and so that contingency plans could be made in case something unexpected came up as the most conflict came up when these occurred...as they almost always will.

Archived