Seriously No Politics ×

A Co-Worker Of My Wife Claims She Is Being Visited By My Deceased Father.

Lamanite

A co-worker of my wife claims she is being visited by my deceased Father. She claims that he has a message for me. When she contacted me she would ask questions like "Does the number 7 mean anything to you or him?", "Was there someone in your life that was important who has the letter "C" in their name? Your Father is describing a big man whose name has the letter "C" in his name.", "Did you have a special park you used to go to?", and "Your Dad is worried about you and wants to apologize for not being the best Dad...."

I obviously have some concerns. IMO, Her alleged communications with my deceased Father falls outside the boundaries and patterns for the ministering of angels as established by our scriptural canon, our theology as proclaimed by Prophets and Apostles, and the patterns and traditions of both the modern and ancient Church. It also seems to exist waaaay outside of the patriarchal/priesthood order for responsibility and stewardship. Wouldn't a revelation that is specific to me come through the assigned priesthood/familial lines, and not a co-worker of my wife who makes claims to see and speak with dead people regularly? It also seems to contradict patterns in the D&C and the Temple that provides a pattern for establishing the identity and authority of true messenger of God.

Thoughts?

Big UP!

Lamanite

P.S. - She is a very nice friend and I don't see any reason for her to make this up, but there are warning bells going off in my head.

Has this person ever met your Father? I wonder how they knew it was him or someone else. I had this happen to a friend of mine, this lady claimed that my friend's deceasd grandma's head was floating underneath her kitchen sink area, this lady never knew the grandma, so I wonder how they knew who it was... It all sounds hocus pocus to me and I wouldn't put any stock in it

Has this person ever met your Father? I wonder how they knew it was him or someone else. I had this happen to a friend of mine, this lady claimed that my friend's deceasd grandma's head was floating underneath her kitchen sink area, this lady never knew the grandma, so I wonder how they knew who it was... It all sounds hocus pocus to me and I wouldn't put any stock in it

She said she had been followed by male spirit recently and then one day when she saw a picture of me on facebook the picture was altered in her eyes to shift back and forth between my image and the image of the Spirit that had been following her. She then described a man that was the same build as me and looked "more Tongan".

Big UP!

Lamanite

A co-worker of my wife claims she is being visited by my deceased Father. She claims that he has a message for me. When she contacted me she would ask questions like "Does the number 7 mean anything to you or him?", "Was there someone in your life that was important who has the letter "C" in their name? Your Father is describing a big man whose name has the letter "C" in his name.", "Did you have a special park you used to go to?", and "Your Dad is worried about you and wants to apologize for not being the best Dad...."

I obviously have some concerns. IMO, Her alleged communications with my deceased Father falls outside the boundaries and patterns for the ministering of angels as established by our scriptural canon, our theology as proclaimed by Prophets and Apostles, and the patterns and traditions of both the modern and ancient Church. It also seems to exist waaaay outside of the patriarchal/priesthood order for responsibility and stewardship. Wouldn't a revelation that is specific to me come through the assigned priesthood/familial lines, and not a co-worker of my wife who makes claims to see and speak with dead people regularly? It also seems to contradict patterns in the D&C and the Temple that provides a pattern for establishing the identity and authority of true messenger of God.

Thoughts?

Big UP!

Lamanite

P.S. - She is a very nice friend and I don't see any reason for her to make this up, but there are warning bells going off in my head.

It all sounds like standard con-artist fare to me.

They fish around for stuff til they find a hit and just keep "burrowing in". Probably anyone has had someone important with a "C" in their name- I have several.

Surely the number 7 means a lot to a lot of people- it's a "lucky" number- it has gospel connotations- 7 days of the week etc, forgive 7 times 70 etc.

Any park you used to go to with your dad would by definition be "special"- a special memory- and most Dads take their kids to a park eventually!

And every Dad on the planet is worried about not being the best dad- nothing new there!

Wait a minute- maybe it's MY deceased father she's talking about.... :ph34r:

She said she had been followed by male spirit recently and then one day when she saw a picture of me on facebook the picture was altered in her eyes to shift back and forth between my image and the image of the Spirit that had been following her. She then described a man that was the same build as me and looked "more Tongan".

Big UP!

Lamanite

Since the trend is toward more ethnic mixing- most parents and grandparents are going to look "more ethnic" than our generation.

If it was your dad, why would he be cryptic? Why wouldn't he just tell her what the person's name is, for example, instead of giving the letter C and making you guess? He can manage to appear to her but he can't say a whole name?

It doesn't make sense.

Since the trend is toward more ethnic mixing- most parents and grandparents are going to look "more ethnic" than our generation.

My assessment is that, as nice and as much a friend as she is, at a minimum she is being deceived by a lying spirit. What she is doing falls far outside the bounds of gospel principles. If your father had been given leave to give you a message (a very rare event), it would be directly to you or through some family member in a manner that did not partake of the likes of some circus medium.

If it was your dad, why would he be cryptic? Why wouldn't he just tell her what the person's name is, for example, instead of giving the letter C and making you guess? He can manage to appear to her but he can't say a whole name?

It doesn't make sense.

I asked the same question.

Big UP!

Lamanite

Hey Lamanite (Long time to type),

First, I am sorry to hear about your loss.

A few words/opinion:

Because she is a friend of your wife, I would suggest that whatever she is sharing with you probably comes from her heart, has good intentions, and clearly she believes what she is sharing. (Perhaps that alone should impact how you proceed/handle this)

Whatever you decide, I would not suggest that you share this thread with her.

Peace,

Ceeboo

she is being deceived by a lying spirit. What she is doing falls far outside the bounds of gospel principles. If your father had been given leave to give you a message (a very rare event), it would be directly to you or through some family member in a manner that did not partake of the likes of some circus medium.

This is my assessment as well. If you could provide authoritative references to support our position, what would you offer?

Big UP!

Lamanite

Hey Lamanite (Long time to type),

First, I am sorry to hear about your loss.

A few words/opinion:

Because she is a friend of your wife, I would suggest that whatever she is sharing with you probably comes from her heart, has good intentions, and clearly she believes what she is sharing. (Perhaps that alone should impact how you proceed/handle this)

Whatever you decide, I would not suggest that you share this thread with her.

Peace,

Ceeboo

I won't share this thread with her. She is the sweetest lady and I don't think she means any harm.

Big UP!

I do dream interpretations when others bring their dreams to me. I have very specific methods and I do seek the spirit. I have had some interesting engagements with some otherwise very sweet people who had their pains in life and were looking for their drug in (my)dream interpretation and which I felt I had to provide some sense to them. There is nothing supernatural about dream interpretation, nor do dreams "tell" you what to do (adults, not dreams, make life decisions). And similarly there is nothing supernatural about the spirit world. They are just people too. There is also nothing supernatural or out of the ordinary to converse with spirits, although on the other hand, it's not for everyone.

I'm sure that something is happening to this woman, I don't think she is deliberately conning you. Something is happening either with spirit visitation or with mental health issues (and I'm not saying it's the latter, could just as easily be the former) but honestly, that is ridiculous. (And how many times have I said that on this board?).

There are two ways this could go.

1) It's not your dad, in which case it has nothing to do with you.

2) If by some shot it is your dad, just stand in your living room (bedroom, quiet spot) and speak to him and say, "You're being really wierd." Or something along those lines, you get it. You could even just ask, in your living room, "Are you visiting my friend?" You'll know the answer. If by any case, it is your dad or your dad needs or wants to talk to you, it simply isn't any of that lady's business, and that has nothing to do with priesthood order, it's just basic sense of human relationships. We know where the "who's business" boundaries are.

Good luck, you and her . . . and your dad :).

I have alarms going off when I read your OP. Someone getting revelation for someone else is just plain wrong unless they have some sort of leadership over you, like a prophet. If it were me I would prayerfully consider how I should procede.

When I brought my concerns up to another co-worker, I was told I'm trying to be "too smart" and need more faith. She then asked me if I was worthy to receive the "right" answer to my prayers regarding whether this is of God.

Big up!

Lamanite. Sent from mobile.

She believes that god is orchestrating the ministrations of my father to the ghost whisperer. To her my doubt is evidence of a lack of faith an/or sin. It is no coincidence that the ghost whisperer also sees her dead grandmother.

Big up! Sent from mobile.

Thoughts?

Big UP!

Lamanite

The world is filled with wackos even very nice and honest wackos. I would not give it a second thought. Not all visions or dreams or revelations are of God, some I believe (which are not of God) are given by the adversary to confuse or worry us... Remember if it does not edify it is not of God! (read D&C 50) So if your father really had a message for you he would not come to you through another person (especially unknown to your father) and he would never come through a spiritualist medium (which this business of "C" and "7" sounds awfully alot like) or any other way than a direct revelation to you. I always have to wonder for what purpose would some one come back, if they had permission to do so (which I think is required) and what message would they convey? If it is of God it would be to give comfort, direction, or as a warning. Such a mysterious communication sounds more like somewhere else rather than from God, His ways are strait and edifying and not darkness or confusion. So I would not worry about it one bit.

I think this is pretty bizarre. I am sure this lady is nice, but honestly, I would just say thank you and that you will have a talk with your father about his visiting her. I would let it drop at that. I am not saying this women isn't truthful, but I would agree with Maidservant, if your father wanted to talk to you, he would most likely come to you. And if for whatever reason you weren't open to that, than he would need to wait until you are.

I remember the Penn & Teller episode where they debunked the psyhics. They always used those leading questions and the people the 'answers' worked for were people who really wanted to hear from their deceased friends or family. You didn't approach this women, she just came to you. This would make me very uncomfortable and honestly I would possibly be upset about something like this.

I am glad that you didn't write that she wanted to be paid for her visit from your dad as well.

When I brought my concerns up to another co-worker, I was told I'm trying to be "too smart" and need more faith. She then asked me if I was worthy to receive the "right" answer to my prayers regarding whether this is of God.

Big up!

Lamanite. Sent from mobile.

Is she a member of the Church? Do you hold the priesthood? Are you worthy? If not then there is one who is authorized by the Lord to determine if a communication is from God or not:

(D&C 46:27) "And unto the bishop of the church, and unto such as God shall appoint and ordain to watch over the church and to be elders unto the church, are to have it given unto them to discern all those gifts lest there shall be any among you professing and yet be not of God."

The world is filled with wackos even very nice and honest wackos. I would not give it a second thought. Not all visions or dreams or revelations are of God, some I believe (which are not of God) are given by the adversary to confuse or worry us... Remember if it does not edify it is not of God! (read D&C 50) So if your father really had a message for you he would not come to you through another person (especially unknown to your father) and he would never come through a spiritualist medium (which this business of "C" and "7" sounds awfully alot like) or any other way than a direct revelation to you. I always have to wonder for what purpose would some one come back, if they had permission to do so (which I think is required) and what message would they convey? If it is of God it would be to give comfort, direction, or as a warning. Such a mysterious communication sounds more like somewhere else rather than from God, His ways are strait and edifying and not darkness or confusion. So I would not worry about it one bit.

Yep!

If she can get "C" and "7" why can't she get "There's a diamond ring in the trunk in the attic" or "I love you" or , whatever the real message is??

Because then it would be done with, and she would be out of the life of the person she is "helping"! She wants to foster dependence so she can continue the relationship, so she will drag everything out as long as possible.

Even if she's not after money (which I guess we don't know yet) she could be just getting off on the control elements- thinking how cool it is that other people respect her etc.- some kind of ego trip?

I am sure there are a lot of "preachers" who get into the business exactly for that reason. I know people in the church who everyone goes to with their problems who have no authority- but somehow they get a buzz just from being "the person everyone goes to".

Why not pray and ask for confirmation if her message is true?

Phaedrus

Funny, but there is no need to.

This has not come down through the proper channels.

I do have a question, did she get anything right?

Funny, but there is no need to.

This has not come down through the proper channels.

In all my years I haven't heard of someone receiving such a message. What are the proper channels for messages from deceased relatives?

Why wouldn't it be reasonable to take her message and pray about it to confirm if it's true?

Phaedrus

Archived