Seriously No Politics ×

Jesus

inquiringmind

I'm not convinced that Joseph was paraphrasing this apocryphal text. In Understanding Paul by Richard Lloyd Anderson in Appendix B, he writes:

I would add that it is likely that Joseph saw Paul in his vision of the ancient Jerusalem council presided by Peter.

Did Joseph Smith ever give a physical discription of Jesus?

Is it true He was 6 ft. tall?

(And are LDS artistic depictions of Jesus acurate?)

There is a possible myth that goes around about a picture which one of the apostles says looks like Jesus. I don't know where it's source is.

I have actually seen two different pictures identified with the myth, so I wouldn't know which one was actually it, if it actually happened (it may be just a myth).

Best Wishes,

TAO

cchrist.jpg

As I recall this is the portrait that Harold B. Lee said most resembled the Savior except that the eyes were somewhat more stern in the portrait than in reality. Was that a Mormon grapevine myth? Not sure.....

Thanks for finding this "Questing Beast". I've been looking for it for some time. It was actually done by a Catholic artist and was somewhat prominent in the Catholic church for awhile

No. Most don't even depict the right kind of clothing worn in Jesus' day. Rarely is devotional art ever accurate.

Hello Volgadon,

I'd be very interested in your thoughts on how the Savior would have been attired. Please elaborate or show us something we can reference as far as ancient Jewish clothing.

Thanks!

Hello Volgadon,

I'd be very interested in your thoughts on how the Savior would have been attired. Please elaborate or show us something we can reference as far as ancient Jewish clothing.

Thanks!

More like this

Jesus_And_The_Woman_At_The_Well_sm.jpg

Also see the frescoes from the Dura Europos synagogue, and the clothing discovered by Yigael Yadin at Masada and Nahal Hever. The only thing setting it apart from Graeco-Roman attire was the material, which was unmixed.

As I recall this is the portrait that Harold B. Lee said most resembled the Savior except that the eyes were somewhat more stern in the portrait than in reality. Was that a Mormon grapevine myth? Not sure.....

Thanks for finding this "Questing Beast". I've been looking for it for some time. It was actually done by a Catholic artist and was somewhat prominent in the Catholic church for awhile

My (then) stake president had an extra print. I told him (on the occasion of his giving me the print at his home) why I wanted it, because of the "grapevine myth", and because in my opinion this portrait held something especially real compared to all others. My (then) stake president then said: "Elder Jack H. Goaslind Jr. told me that he was directed to Harold B. Lee's office by his secretary for a visit, and as he was waiting in the president's office he was looking at this picture on the wall. When President Lee came into his office the two of them talked briefly about the picture of Christ on his wall. And Elder Goaslind told me that President Lee either said, 'This one looks the most like the Savior', or, 'None of the rest look as close as this one does'; I can't remember which way he said it for sure."

So I got it secondhand from a man who heard it firsthand.

And ironically, nobody can ask brother Gosalind about it, because he just died 27 April 2011....

(edit to add: btw, it is the EYES that attract me to this picture above all other features. They do look stern upon casual viewing. But up closer and looking carefully at them, the sternness is only apparent, while actually they look amused and friendly. It is an odd effect that Chambers achieved that I find compelling....)

My (then) stake president had an extra print. I told him (on the occasion of his giving me the print at his home) why I wanted it, because of the "grapevine myth", and because in my opinion this portrait held something especially real compared to all others. My (then) stake president then said: "Elder Jack H. Goaslind Jr. told me that he was directed to Harold B. Lee's office by his secretary for a visit, and as he was waiting in the president's office he was looking at this picture on the wall. When President Lee came into his office the two of them talked briefly about the picture of Christ on his wall. And Elder Goaslind told me that President Lee either said, 'This one looks the most like the Savior', or, 'None of the rest look as close as this one does'; I can't remember which way he said it for sure."

So I got it secondhand from a man who heard it firsthand.

And ironically, nobody can ask brother Gosalind about it, because he just died 27 April 2011....

(edit to add: btw, it is the EYES that attract me to this picture above all other features. They do look stern upon casual viewing. But up closer and looking carefully at them, the sternness is only apparent, while actually they look amused and friendly. It is an odd effect that Chambers achieved that I find compelling....)

The commonly accepted "Christian" depiction of Christ, with a long beard and flowing hair, did not become established in Eastern Christianity until around the 6th century AD, and much later in Western Christianity.

Though it is by no means definitive, an analysis performed by Popular Mechanics pointed out that Jesus most likely looked like this

In between one of the conference sessions they had a special on Carl Bloch's art. President Monson was commenting how much he liked Bloch's depictions of Christ because they show him how he really is.

Wouldn't 6 feet tall back in 30 AD be like basketball player freakishly tall? Wouldn't that have been remarked by sombody back then?

Above-average, uncommon, but not freakishly so.

By all means feel free to show in the gospels and Acts physical descriptions of Jesus, the 12, John the Baptist, Paul, Herod and co, or even Pontius Pilate and Felix.

I don't think any of the LDS, Catholic, or Christian depictions of Jesus are accurate. The image has simply become a symbol for Jesus. Just as there is a specific image for the Buddha. I am guessing he looked more Middle Eastern than anything, and if he had a lighter complection, he probably had dark black hair and eyebrows like an Armenian or Greek. JMHO.

Archived