Seriously No Politics ×

The One True Church

Whiskeypete

In another thread about communication, it was stated that the One True Church philosophy was a barrier to communication.

Not wanting to derail that thread...

If you broaden the conversation about religion, instead of just talking about various Christian denominations, to the various world religions: I don't think there are too many Christians who would argue against the idea that Christianity is the "one true religion" when compared to Islam, Buddhim, Sihkism, Zoroastrianism, Wicca, Shintoism, etc. The Christian world has the many of the same opinions of these other religions that Latter-day Saints have of other Christian sects. That while they may be good people, they are missing something necessary to their salvation. In the case of Christians, it is a knowledge that Jesus Christ died for their sins.

So when a Christian says that Jesus is the Way, the Truth, the Life, and there is no other name under Heaven whereby we can be saved, is that any less offensive to someone of another "heathen" religion as when a Latter-day Saint say that they belong to the Only True Church?

I would argue that since we are talking about someones eternal soul, that if they are offended by the testimony of a Christian, then it is too bad. If Jesus is the Christ, than that is the most important message in the history of the world. And it is my duty as a Christian to be true to that belief.

I don't have to be a jerk about it. I'm not going to be an effective witness of Christ by being argumentative and rude. But if asked, I'm not going to tone down my message and say that Christianity is just one of many understandings of God and that they are all equal.

If the Restoration of the Gospel through the Prophet Joseph Smith actually happened, isn't that the most important message since the Atonement? If there wasn't an apostasy, there wouldn't have been a need for a restoration. But IF there was an apostasy and a restoration, we have just as much a responsibility to boldly proclaim it as we do of proclaiming the Good News of the Atonement.

If someone takes offense at the "one true church" belief, they just haven't met enough Mormons. I've met plenty that believe in some form of the "multiple paths" theory of religion and use the doctrine of post-mortal agency and ordinances to reconcile any gaps.

In theory, the "one true church" teaching makes tons of sense (especially if you're leading a Church), but in practice some LDS just don't dig it. :pardon:

So when a Christian says that Jesus is the Way, the Truth, the Life, and there is no other name under Heaven whereby we can be saved, is that any less offensive to someone of another "heathen" religion as when a Latter-day Saint say that they belong to the Only True Church?

Latter-day Saints happen to believe both – that Jesus is the Way, the Truth, the Life, and there is no other name under Heaven whereby we can be saved. We also believe that we are a part of the only true and living Church – the Church that bears His name – even The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

I suppose this has the potential be triply offensive to some people. I can see how some might view this as extremely arrogant.

However, we don’t have to apologize for our doctrines and the things we hold near and dear to our hearts – we are only expected to be examples and share our beliefs with others and treat all people as we would want to be treated – as fellow children of God.

Whether others choose to embrace our message or not is their choice. But we can still be friends.

I would argue that since we are talking about someones eternal soul, that if they are offended by the testimony of a Christian, then it is too bad. If Jesus is the Christ, than that is the most important message in the history of the world. And it is my duty as a Christian to be true to that belief.

I don't have to be a jerk about it. I'm not going to be an effective witness of Christ by being argumentative and rude. But if asked, I'm not going to tone down my message and say that Christianity is just one of many understandings of God and that they are all equal.

Matthew 7:1-2 (NIV1)

1 “Do not judge, or you too will be judged. 2 For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you."

When you say you won't tone down your message, does your message include the ramifications for failing to believe what you do?

Matthew 7:1-2 (NIV1)

1 “Do not judge, or you too will be judged. 2 For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you."

When you say you won't tone down your message, does your message include the ramifications for failing to believe what you do?

Jesus also said, (John 7:24) Judge not according to the appearance, but judge righteous judgment.

Archived