Seriously No Politics ×

The Role Of A High Priest (In Modern Times)

AeonJ

I can't seem to find information on this group with in the church.

I believe the role of High Priest is a calling/ordination in the Melchizedek Priesthood, but I'm not sure if a Melchizedek Priesthood holder can only claim this title if he is called to a high office in the church, or rather it is eventually given to all worthy Elders when they reach a certain age, or a combination of the two.

I did look at this web page http://lds.org/scriptures/bd/high-priest?lang=eng , it's from the BD on the definition on "High Priest" but it doesn't seem to describe the office in modern times.

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

There is the perception that an Elder, once he becomes significantly older than the rest of the quorum, is ordained a High Priest even though they have not served in a leadership position requiring such an ordination. But I think the reality for the most part is that if such are not good home teachers or active or reliable in accepting callings and assignments, they will not be ordained a High Priest. The reason for that, imho, would be that in the interview for becomming High Priest, understanding and dedication to the Oath and Covenant of the Priesthood is stressed.

Other than that, the CHI simply says that such ordinations happen only when needed for certain leadership positions or when otherwise determined by the stake president.

There is the perception that an Elder, once he becomes significantly older than the rest of the quorum, is ordained a High Priest even though they have not served in a leadership position requiring such an ordination. But I think the reality for the most part is that if such are not good home teachers or active or reliable in accepting callings and assignments, they will not be ordained a High Priest. The reason for that, imho, would be that in the interview for becomming High Priest, understanding and dedication to the Oath and Covenant of the Priesthood is stressed.

Other than that, the CHI simply says that such ordinations happen only when needed for certain leadership positions or when otherwise determined by the stake president.

I agree, I just don't know what to think when we have seen inactive High Priests that make you wonder sometimes, so they were active at one point and supposedly more righteous then the Elders but now not?...hmmmm. I knew guy who is a great guy and he was renting a place from this other couple in the ward and he was signing bum cheques to them and obviously causing a lot of commotion and so to get rid of the tension at church the tenant got made a High Priest and put on the High Council and so he would have to go another ward...we have a guy now, who is great and awesome on the High Council, not active except for his duties-is what we are hearing anyways-I know he isn't attending his home ward when the other HC in our ward attend when they don't have stuff to do. I doff my chapeau to all the logic of that!

Archived