Seriously No Politics ×

Pres. Joseph F. Smith As Pres. Of The Church And Slc Temple

Duncan

I noticed that during 1898-1911, President Joseph F. Smith was President of the Salt Lake Temple and after 1901 was President of the Church, and what is more, other Apostles and members of the First Presidency also served as President of the Temple and as a General Authority. How was it even possible to do both? Wouldn't you, as Temple President, have to be there every day, all day to make sure stuff is running smoothly? Anyone know more about this?

http://www.ldschurchtemples.com/saltlake/presidents/

I noticed that during 1898-1911, President Joseph F. Smith was President of the Salt Lake Temple and after 1901 was President of the Church, and what is more, other Apostles and members of the First Presidency also served as President of the Temple and as a General Authority. How was it even possible to do both? Wouldn't you, as Temple President, have to be there every day, all day to make sure stuff is running smoothly? Anyone know more about this?

http://www.ldschurchtemples.com/saltlake/presidents/

No, you don't have to be there all day. To be open you need either the President OR one of his counselors there. In the past Apostles traveled less and had a smaller workload so their shorter times away wouldn't hurt a Temple trying to stay open. Now, it would be difficult unless both counselors were willing to work half the week each.

No, you don't have to be there all day. To be open you need either the President OR one of his counselors there. In the past Apostles traveled less and had a smaller workload so their shorter times away wouldn't hurt a Temple trying to stay open.

Exactly. In fact, many apostles were also stake presidents.

Their primary job as Apostles is to be especial witnesses of the divinity and resurrection of Jesus Christ. Their calling is to spread the Gospel. In the early days, they were missionaries, but, as this work got much bigger than twelve men could handle, they sent representatives (Seventies and then missionaries) in their place, and supervised their work (as Jesus Himself did, i.e., in Spirit Prison or Samaria), and had too little to do testifying to the gathered Saints in Deseret. Hence, they had additional duties assigned to them.

Now, it would be difficult unless both counselors were willing to work half the week each.

Our temple president here in Denver has a full-time calling: essentially, he's on a mission, as are his counselors. They work a five-day week. They have "shifts", so at least one of them is there during the time the temple is open, but for the most part, there are three set-apart men (and three set-apart women) directing the work the whole time.

The Temple is closed for cleaning and maintenance several times a year; while they take vacations on some of those occasions, the President is in charge. It's, in a stewardship context, his Temple, and he's responsible for every aspect of it, physical and spiritual. It's not a part-time job.

Lehi

I quite certain Apostles in the early 20th Century were busier then we could even imagine given the transportation and communication situation at the time, which is why I am asking, I have a quotation from Elder Widtsoe saying something to that effect. I knew Pres. Lee's Mission President, John Knight, was a Stake President, or something to that effect, I can't conceive of how you could do both callings at all or even very well, whether it be the Temple President and Church President or whatever else. Great responses!

Archived