Singles Ward Realignment Due To Falling Activity Numbers?

BookofMormonLuvr

I found this article and decided to start a spin-off discussion on the Single's Ward realignment topic...

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/51700209-78/lds-single-lake-salt.html.csp

Ballard and other speakers acknowledged that the Utah-based faith was worried about massive losses of members in this age group — one of the reasons behind the change in ward structure — and challenged those in attendance to bring at least one other person back into the fold.

Thoughts?

This paragraph made me chuckle:

General LDS Relief Society President Julie Beck said she has been part of the discussions on this move and wholly supports it. “These are wise, inspired decisions,” Beck said. “This is the Lord’s way to bless you in your lives.”

When I was a YSA living in Salt Lake County, we didn't have a YSA ward. A group of us asked our stake president about it, and he said that while he personally thought we should have a singles ward, [then] Elder Packer (who lived in our stake) was against the whole concept of single wards. He said the reality was that as long as Elder Packer was against YSA wards, such a ward simply wouldn't be created in our stake.

The wise, inspired way to get around this problem, of course, is to create YSA stakes.

They have had young single adult wards in the past and then did away with them, merging young adults back into family wards and now creating single wards again. They even had at one time over 30 singles wards which included those divorced and with children. Basically the young single wards and BYU student wards are the same, except now those who aren't students also have a place to go. I think they are a good idea because it gives young people who may feel out of place in the family wards greater opportunities for responsibility and service. We were not happy in Calif when they did away with the singles wards several years ago.

I guess I’m slightly confused as to what the Church is trying to accomplish by making these changes.

My understanding is that they are doing away with student wards altogether, and creating in its place Young Single Adult wards where students and non-students can attend. But isn’t this more or less still a student/singles ward? I guess I don’t see what the big difference is. And I also don’t see how exactly it will stem the tide of inactivity. But maybe somebody more educated can enlighten me on this. Hopefully it will prove to be successful with the test of time.

They have had young single adult wards in the past and then did away with them, merging young adults back into family wards and now creating single wards again. They even had at one time over 30 singles wards which included those divorced and with children. Basically the young single wards and BYU student wards are the same, except now those who aren't students also have a place to go. I think they are a good idea because it gives young people who may feel out of place in the family wards greater opportunities for responsibility and service. We were not happy in Calif when they did away with the singles wards several years ago.

I served, as a missionary, in a over 30's singles ward in California for six months, I loved it! It was in Glendale, don't know if it is still around or not though!

I served, as a missionary, in a over 30's singles ward in California for six months, I loved it! It was in Glendale, don't know if it is still around or not though!

With the way the growth rate is going, they'll be creating more single adult wards for those over 30 soon enough.

Archived