How Would You React Upon Learning God Is Imperfect

cion

I'm not making a case for God's character. I have nothing to prove. I'm simply curious to know what people think.

In the very unlikely case that you learn that God is not perfect, how would you react? What emotion would go through your mind? Would it bother you? Would it cause relief in any way? What do you think?

Can you please describe why you answered the way you did?

Thank you.

Personally, I would find comfort and awe in such knowledge. I say this because it would bring sense to a lot of my questions about religious history and events portrayed in the Bible. I would be able to make more sense of why there is suffering. This knowledge would not cause me to stop believing in a loving God for I understand parents (who are imperfect) are completely capable of loving their children.

I'm not making a case for God's character. I have nothing to prove. I'm simply curious to know what people think.

I was thinking about this just the other day. This is one of the few times I thought of the "what if" scenario.

I thought that if God is imperfect I don't think it would phase me. In fact I have wondered that, I think to us, God looks perfect in all ways. Of coruse He maybe perfect in all ways. I cannot comprend such a being. That is not to say that because I cannot comprehend it that it must be false. When I was young and a child I thought my dad was the greatest person alive. Not that he is a bad person or is not worthy to be my father. But I have learned that there are indeed greater people than my Father. So I think that perspective plays a role. Is that the same for God? Maybe, maybe not. I don't know. I am sure we will learn for sure and we will be able to comprehend what it means to be perfect.

I had another thought too. We need to define "in what ways is God perfect". Are we talking morals, judgements and creation? Or are we talking about him never missing a shot at the basket ball hoop?

I already believe God is imperfect. That is, in the sense that He was once a mortal homo sapiens and likely committed sins during His mortal life. Also, that there are things God cannot do; He is bound by laws. And also that He doesn't know everything but He knows probabilities to within a great degree of accuracy.

However, relative to us, He is all powerful and omniscient and that is sufficient for me to understand that He can show me how to become like He is.

I already believe God is imperfect. That is, in the sense that He was once a mortal homo sapiens and likely committed sins during His mortal life. Also, that there are things God cannot do; He is bound by laws. And also that He doesn't know everything but He knows probabilities to within a great degree of accuracy.

However, relative to us, He is all powerful and omniscient and that is sufficient for me to understand that He can show me how to become like He is.

Thanks BC. So you would react with indifference? It sounds like it would be sort of as you already suspect.

I was thinking about this just the other day. This is one of the few times I thought of the "what if" scenario.

I thought that if God is imperfect I don't think it would phase me. In fact I have wondered that, I think to us, God looks perfect in all ways. Of coruse He maybe perfect in all ways. I cannot comprend such a being. That is not to say that because I cannot comprehend it that it must be false. When I was young and a child I thought my dad was the greatest person alive. Not that he is a bad person or is not worthy to be my father. But I have learned that there are indeed greater people than my Father. So I think that perspective plays a role. Is that the same for God? Maybe, maybe not. I don't know. I am sure we will learn for sure and we will be able to comprehend what it means to be perfect.

I had another thought too. We need to define "in what ways is God perfect". Are we talking morals, judgements and creation? Or are we talking about him never missing a shot at the basket ball hoop?

So, how would you react to this news? It sounds like you wouldn't freak out. I got that much out of your post. Thanks for contributing!

So, how would you react to this news? It sounds like you wouldn't freak out. I got that much out of your post. Thanks for contributing!

In short, I would be fine to learn this.

I am looking at this through the prisim of how you look at things as a kid vs how you look at things as an adult. Also there is the whole parent thing too.

As a parent, I am right regardless (to most extents) of how I deal with an issue with my kids. I think that there are a multitude of ways in dealing with things that would still be just or moral. For instance, I might choose to spank my kids for disiplinary action. To a kid (and even other adults) that is just wrong to do. It is all about perspective. But even if I took a literal view of God not being perfect that would not bug me.

Thanks BC. So you would react with indifference? It sounds like it would be sort of as you already suspect.

It would be. The only way for God to be as perfect as some want Him to be is for Him to be an abstraction and a personification; something I don't accept but trinitarians do. But if one thinks in terms of smaller and larger infinites, one can still have absolutes without being Absolute.

I would doubt an imperfect God's ability to judge perfectly and to create a perfect plan of salvation which would offer the best results to His childrent.

I, as an imperfect parent, am capable of loving my children. At the same time though, i know that loving them doesn't prevent me from completely screwing them up as perfect intentions don't equate a perfect outcome. Since eternity is at stake, the idea of an imperfect God would cause me concern. How can I have perfect faith in an imperfect being? It doesn't seem like it would be possible.

In the very unlikely case that you learn that God is not perfect, how would you react? What emotion would go through your mind? Would it bother you? Would it cause relief in any way? What do you think?

Thank you.

Personally, I would find comfort and awe in such knowledge. I say this because it would bring sense to a lot of my questions about religious history and events portrayed in the Bible. I would be able to make more sense of why there is suffering. This knowledge would not cause me to stop believing in a loving God for I understand parents (who are imperfect) are completely capable of loving their children.

Perfect is, first of all, an anthropomorphic concept. It has no meaning in the empirical world, ergo it is only possible as a metaphysical concept. And "God" is only metaphysical in concept(s). It is possible to hold a concept of "God" being perfect in this or that, and imperfect as well. In fact, the biggest concept for "God" must allow ALL of our imaginings about Deity to be true; because our thoughts/imaginations cannot transcend the thoughts of "God", i.e. all things originate with "God", even what we (anthropomorphically) define as impossible. So creation and the void exist together: "God" is creator and annihilator and also refuses to create, i.e. to remain "Void". All things are NOW with "God". Only in space-time do things have a cause and effect; a before and after. None of this has anything to do with "God" as a total concept....

In what sense would you define "imperfect?" Would it be an imperfection that would make Him incapable of doing His "job?"

If He did have imperfections, but they didn't interfere with His capability to help me to when He and I want me to be, then I wouldn't have a problem with it, otherwise I would care, but I don't think He has those types of imperfections if He has any.

Doesn't the concept of "eternal progression" suggest God is not yet perfect?

I don't think so.

"It is not because the Lord is ignorant of law and truth that he is able to progress, but because of his knowledge and wisdom. The Lord is constantly using his knowledge in his work.… By the creation of worlds and peopling them, by building and extending, he progresses, but not because the fulness of truth is not understood by him.

Will God destroy himself? I cannot comprehend God in his perfection having to spend time discovering laws and truth he does not know. Such a thought to me is destructive, not progressive. Should there be truth which God has not discovered, when may he discover it, and, like a chemist who mixes certain elements and blows himself up, when will the Almighty find some hidden truth or law which will shatter all? Is there not a danger that some other personage may discover some greater truth than our Father knows? If such could be the case, what would become of God?"

-Joseph Fielding Smith

God's progression has been declared to be his continuing creation of more and more.

The Book of Moses informs us that the great work of the Father is in creating worlds and peopling them, and “there is no end to my works, neither to my words,” he says, “For behold, this is my work and my glory — to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man,” and in this is his progression.

Commenting on this the Prophet Joseph Smith has said: “What did Jesus do? Why, I do the things I saw my Father do when worlds came rolling into existence. My Father worked out his kingdom with fear and trembling, and I must do the same; and when I get my kingdom, I shall present it to my Father, so that he may obtain kingdom upon kingdom, and it will exalt him in glory. He will then take a higher exaltation, and I [Christ] will take his place, and thereby become exalted myself. So that Jesus treads in the tracks of his Father, and inherits what God did before; and God is thus glorified and exalted in the salvation and exaltation of all his children.” [Teachings, 347f.]

Do you not see that it is in this manner that our Eternal Father is progressing? Not by seeking knowledge which he does not have, for such a thought cannot be maintained in the light of scripture. It is not through ignorance and learning hidden truth that he progresses, for if there are truths which he does not know, then these things are greater than he, and this cannot be. Why can’t we learn wisdom and believe what the Lord has revealed?

-Joseph Fielding Smith

I already believe God is imperfect. That is, in the sense that He was once a mortal homo sapiens and likely committed sins during His mortal life.

Why would you think that? Christ was mortal as well and yet never committed sins, and Christ said I do what I have seen my father do.

As to being imperfect we need to define that. Christ was not perfect in the sense of complete until he was resurrected. Perfect in the gospel sense is complete and in no way implies one has to have sinned.

According to Moroni 8:26, such a thing would not be learned of the Holy Ghost, so I would take satisfaction and rejoice with the false exultations of Satan, to the degree I believed what I had learned by other means (D&C 46:7): “And the remission of sins bringeth meekness, and lowliness of heart; and because of meekness and lowliness of heart cometh the visitation of the Holy Ghost, which Comforter filleth with hope and perfect love, which love endureth by diligence unto prayer, until the end shall come, when all the saints shall dwell with God.” See verse 28 and 29 as well. Perfect love cannot dwell in imperfect beings and perfect and imperfect beings cannot dwell together or rejoice in each other. Revelers in the imperfect god (his sign is "666" for a reason) do not have a perfect God.

Thank you.

It would depend on in what ways he was imperfect. If he was still perfect in how he dealt with his children and what he promised them so that we could fully rely on him, I would probably not have a problem with it....assuming he hadn't claimed perfection in the other areas as well.

If he was imperfect to the point where he couldn't follow through on his promises to bring joy to mankind or to save them from eternal death, then I would have a problem because the way he set things up for men to progress requires him to be perfect in those areas and he should have done things differently if he couldn't actually make it work.

I would react with abhorrence. It would mean He lied to me and lied to me throughout scripture.

I reject this idea utterly.

I don't think it would be a lie if God knows more and has more power than any mortal man can possibly have. And if God sinned as a mortal man, a repentance/atonement process would have made Him perfect in that sense as well.

I don't know that I would react well to God being imperfect... well actually, it depends how he is imperfect. There are certain things that he has to be perfect on... because I trust him deeply in those areas, and that's a trust based on faith. I don't think he minds me expecting him to be perfect in those areas... I think he rejoices in it... after all, he is fulfilling his promises there through them.

As in terms of personality... the Lord has the most perfect personality because there is none of ours that is better ;-).

I think, in a way, the Lord desires perfection in us just as we desire perfection in him. It's trying to lose oneself in the service of others, that is perfection, pure service is perfection, and God does it really well. It's what allows him to be perfect... well partially XD. His will and promises are involved there too =). I do appreciate him in what he does for me though, that I do. I really do love him.

Eh, I guess I have many feelings going this way and that... he is much more organized than I am XD. For certain ;-).

Best Wishes,

TAO

While we may barely begin to understand what it means to be perfect, the saints are given many revelations and authoritative insights and teachings on the subject. The Holy Ghost will not testify that God is not perfect. If such a witness is received, it is not of the Holy Ghost. If such a witness is believed or hoped, it is after the manner of the natural man which finds flattering words “pleasing unto the carnal mind.” Plenty of such things are taught in the world and by the elect who are deceived.

I figure that even if he were imperfect in some way, or perhaps did not have future knowledge, etc., that as long as he's doing his best, it is good enough for me. After all, he accepts me with my faults and imperfections, why should I think myself too good for an imperfect God, who has my best intentions at heart?

There is evidence within the Bible that God lied to people via his prophets, on occasion. Sometimes to test them. So, I have no problem with God seeming to lie to us on occasion, as long as it does not affect our eternal salvation in the long run.

Archived