Seriously No Politics ×

Adult ADHD

I have a close relative that has suffered a severe version of ADHD for years, and finally got some good medication to help out. So, when this person told me about it, I must say I was intrigued.

The first thing I noticed was his medication, its basically speed. Then I did a little research and I found this link below regarding on online test for it....

Test for ADHD

I have a couple of questions...

1) Would prescribed stimulants restrict delecate communcations with the spirit?

2) Can a person live a normal life?

3) Can a person live a normal church life?

Thanks

Mark

I have a close relative that has suffered a severe version of ADHD for years, and finally got some good medication to help out. So, when this person told me about it, I must say I was intrigued.

The first thing I noticed was his medication, its basically speed. Then I did a little research and I found this link below regarding on online test for it....

It is very closely related to amphetamine ("speed"): similar in chemical structure, metabolization and clinical effects. It shares the same abuse potential as other schedule II stimulants hence its black box warning label.

This is a loaded thread.

I base my opinion not on judgment, but from experience and from a medical perspective. I understand that this is the only option given to patients, but that doesn't mean there aren't better options. In fact, there are.

I personally feel it is more important to find out why they have ADHD then simply writing out a prescription, but unfortunately that usually isn't the case.

Possibly. I would never tell an individual that. They already have enough to deal with.

Yes. Many people have proven this. I feel they can live a better one not being dependent on a stimulant.

Yes.

Edited by bookofmormontruth

Test for ADHD

I have a couple of questions...

Thanks

Mark

I have ADHD. If a person has ADHD as a child, that person will have ADHD as an adult. It's not something that simply goes away, a person either learns to live and deal with it or it can lead to all sorts of problems.

The human brain likes stimulus and in most people, certain activities creates that stimulus and the brain encourages us to do more of those activities. In the brain of somebody with ADHD, and this is all theory, but it makes sense, not enough stimulus is created so the person has to do extra things to get the required stimulus, which causes the person to lose focus or to be very impulsive. There is also another side effect and that is hyperfocusing. If the person starts doing something that gives it what it wants, it will encourage the person to continue doing it. Mine is reading and I have a son who does that with video games. The world could be going to hell in a handbasket, but we wouldn't notice that because we are so focused in on what we are doing.

Sooooo, why would giving a stimulus to a hyperactive person cause them to slow down. That normally wouldn't make any sense. Isn't that like throwing gasoline onto a fire to put it out. Actually, since the person's brain is demanding more stimulus, the meds do that, they give the brain what it wants and isn't getting, thus allowing the person to slow down and become more focused.

So, with this in mind, let's look at the questions again:

1) Actually it would promote it for that person. I find out that I am able to have better prayers when I'm still on the meds. If they have worn off or I haven't taken them, my prayers usually last a lot less than one minute. If I really push it, I might be able to make it longer, but my mind is wandering all over the place. When I'm on my meds, the prayers can last longer than a minute, but rarely exceed 90 seconds. I can also focus better in the things that I do during the day when on meds.

2) Define "normal" and why would one want to live a "normal" life?

3) See 2. I honestly believe that J. Golden Kimball had ADHD. I would rather be a Golden Kimball than a Bruce McConkie.

I base my opinion not on judgment, but from experience and from a medical perspective. I understand that this is the only option given to patients, but that doesn't mean there aren't better options. In fact, there are.

I personally feel it is more important to find out why they have ADHD then simply writing out a prescription, but unfortunately that usually isn't the case.

Thanks. So what other options are there? I've only heard of the medical prescription option. Further, from the limited amount of reading I have found, the only causes I can find are...

1) Injury to the Brain from Trauma, Brain Tumors, Strokes or Disease.

2) Exposure to Toxic Substances.

3) Heredity.

The reading I have done also suggests that it is not caused by diet, vestibular dysfunction, television viewing and parenting.

Edited by Messenger

I have ADHD. If a person has ADHD as a child, that person will have ADHD as an adult. It's not something that simply goes away, a person either learns to live and deal with it or it can lead to all sorts of problems.

The human brain likes stimulus and in most people, certain activities creates that stimulus and the brain encourages us to do more of those activities. In the brain of somebody with ADHD, and this is all theory, but it makes sense, not enough stimulus is created so the person has to do extra things to get the required stimulus, which causes the person to lose focus or to be very impulsive. There is also another side effect and that is hyperfocusing. If the person starts doing something that gives it what it wants, it will encourage the person to continue doing it. Mine is reading and I have a son who does that with video games. The world could be going to hell in a handbasket, but we wouldn't notice that because we are so focused in on what we are doing.

Sooooo, why would giving a stimulus to a hyperactive person cause them to slow down. That normally wouldn't make any sense. Isn't that like throwing gasoline onto a fire to put it out. Actually, since the person's brain is demanding more stimulus, the meds do that, they give the brain what it wants and isn't getting, thus allowing the person to slow down and become more focused.

So, with this in mind, let's look at the questions again:

1) Actually it would promote it for that person. I find out that I am able to have better prayers when I'm still on the meds. If they have worn off or I haven't taken them, my prayers usually last a lot less than one minute. If I really push it, I might be able to make it longer, but my mind is wandering all over the place. When I'm on my meds, the prayers can last longer than a minute, but rarely exceed 90 seconds. I can also focus better in the things that I do during the day when on meds.

2) Define "normal" and why would one want to live a "normal" life?

3) See 2. I honestly believe that J. Golden Kimball had ADHD. I would rather be a Golden Kimball than a Bruce McConkie.

Urroner,

Thanks a ton. You've given me perspective that I simply didnt have before. Also you've given me a lot to think about - I had no idea that J Golden Kimball had ADHD.

The fact is its my son that has ADHD. He's been living with his mother for the last 13 years. He came over for vacation last week and this was the first I've heard of it. I'm trying to understand as much as I can. My son also plays video games and is some sort of a prodogy when it comes to Halo and Forging new games. He wasnt exposed to any chemicals when he was young, but did have some possible brain trauma from an accident when he was 3 years old.

Hopefully I can learn more about this.

Mark

Thanks. So what other options are there? I've only heard of the medical prescription option. Further, from the limited amount of reading I have found, the only causes I can find are...

3) Heredity.

The reading I have done also suggests that it is not caused by diet, vestibular dysfunction, television viewing and parenting.

I have heard of studies where there were four different groups: 1. the controlled group where nothing was done; 2. Only counseling; 3. Only medicine; 4. Medicine and counseling.

The group that did the worst was 1. Group 2 did better, but still was having many problems. Group 3 did a lot better than 1 and 2. Group 4 did the best, but it wasn't much better than group 3.

If the cause of ADHD is lack of brain stimulus, then this would make sense. Doing nothing does nothing in this case and counseling is only treating a symptom and not the problem. Taking the meds are able to correct the problem, even if it's only temporary. What med is best differs from one person to another, maybe there isn't a good med out there yet for a given individual or the person can be just taking the wrong med or the wrong dosage.

And just taking the meds doesn't fix the person. Just like a normal person, self discipline needs to be learnt and counseling can help there.

I have heard of studies where there were four different groups: 1. the controlled group where nothing was done; 2. Only counseling; 3. Only medicine; 4. Medicine and counseling.

The group that did the worst was 1. Group 2 did better, but still was having many problems. Group 3 did a lot better than 1 and 2. Group 4 did the best, but it wasn't much better than group 3.

If the cause of ADHD is lack of brain stimulus, then this would make sense. Doing nothing does nothing in this case and counseling is only treating a symptom and not the problem. Taking the meds are able to correct the problem, even if it's only temporary. What med is best differs from one person to another, maybe there isn't a good med out there yet for a given individual or the person can be just taking the wrong med or the wrong dosage.

And just taking the meds doesn't fix the person. Just like a normal person, self discipline needs to be learnt and counseling can help there.

You mention counseling. Would this be a benefit simply to better understand the condition the person might have, and how people react to it? I mean, if its not caused by any upbringing, what other reasons are there why counseling would help?

A person that smokes tobacco or marijuane is denied Baptism... RIGHT?

A person using "Illigal" drugs is denied baptism... RIGHT?

HOWEVER... Members using prescription narcotics for several years can be hold a recomend.

Am i missing something?

I have been told by a former Bishop and a councilor with AFS that it is impossable for a person who holds a reccomend and is doing all they are supposed to do (daily prayers, study, ect) cannot in any way become addicted to prescriptio meds. nor can they have andverse affect. I DO NOT AGREE.

Just my thoughts...

HOWEVER... Members using prescription narcotics for several years can be hold a recomend.

Am i missing something?

I have been told by a former Bishop and a councilor with AFS that it is impossable for a person who holds a reccomend and is doing all they are supposed to do (daily prayers, study, ect) cannot in any way become addicted to prescriptio meds. nor can they have andverse affect. I DO NOT AGREE.

Just my thoughts...

I had the very same questions last week. I presented them to my Home Teaching companion who I look up to when it comes to quesitons like this. He told me that my son needed to do all he could to have the spirit, and that he lord would bless him to find it. So, I suppose its the abuse of a drug that limits the spirit, not the prescribed medication. He also said there were some talks on this, but I havent been able to find them yet.

There is a difference when a child who has ADHD takes the stimulant prescribed medication and when someone without ADHD takes it. When in high school, there was a girl who took meds for her ADHD. You could definitely tell when she didn't have them. She would be bouncing off the wall, not know her own strength and just not able to sit and focus. When she had her meds she was 'normal' for lack of better term. She would still get excited and be bouncy, but you didn't have to worry about her smacking you in her excitement. She was calm enough to get her work done and answer questions. Overall, it was good for her. A group of my friends talked her into letting them try her meds (yes they were all being stupid, dangerous teenagers). When they took the meds it had the reverse affect on them. One of them went rather mad and police had to be called in. In the end, everyone was okay, but it was a rather scary day at school.

I think that was when I first understood that medications can have such drastically different results for different people.

Am i missing something?

Just my thoughts...

I feel like I'M missing something reading this post...

Why should a member not have a temple recommend for taking prescription medication?

3) Heredity.

Yes, I would agree with those possible causes. I also believe there isn't one cause, but there are multiple causes that can build up until one thing tips a person over into symptomatology.

One example would be dyes in foods. As the FDA just recently recommended more studies on this connection. My link

I know the current medical paradigm discounts the "diet" in any disease, but this needs to be considered as a top priority.

The best option is to find someone well versed in pediatrics and who has been trained to look for the cause before any treatment is implemented. I am not anti-pharmaceuticials for they serve their purpose, but I believe they are not as effective or safe as a long list of other options that people just don't know about.

My nephew struggled with ADHD and was on methylphenidate "concerta" (sustained release Ritalin) which helped for short time then it was raised and then raised again. Nothing consistent. My brother asked for help for they were uncomfortable him being on this medication. We found some options and eventually weaned himself off the concerta and he went back to being his "old self" that could concentrate and make friends again. In my nephew's case, he had a MTHFR gene deficiency which plays a role in processing amino acids and converting folate to its active form in the body. We treated this and added in that long list of other options for him. If the parents are very diligent with the treatment and consistent, amazing things happen.

I had the very same questions last week. I presented them to my Home Teaching companion who I look up to when it comes to quesitons like this. He told me that my son needed to do all he could to have the spirit, and that he lord would bless him to find it. So, I suppose its the abuse of a drug that limits the spirit, not the prescribed medication. He also said there were some talks on this, but I havent been able to find them yet.

conference last fall... Elder packer... Sunday afternoon

I feel like I'M missing something reading this post...

Why should a member not have a temple recommend for taking prescription medication?

1. Depends on the prescription medication... IM NOT SAYING "ALL"

2. If I smoked "medical marijuane" could I get baptied into the church? attain a temple recomend? (Bishops please)

3. If I drank Alchohol could I get baptied into the church? attain a temple recomend? (Bishops please)

4. If I took "speed" baptied into the church? attain a temple recomend? (Bishops please)

5. If I took class III narcotics/hallucigens "Illigally" could I get baptied into the church? attain a temple recomend? (Bishops please)

6. If I took "prescription class III narcotics/hallucigens could I get baptied into the church? attain a temple recomend? (Bishops please)

How does a piece of paper (prescription) keep you from abuseing the med? My personal belief is that these drugs that are being pushed so easily by our medical cummunity and comes at a very high "spiritual" price that we are not yet able to comprehend.

FYI... This is a hot topic for me becouse it cost me my marriage. My ex is currently abusing Prozac.... a full blown addiction... and I cant get help from Bishop or AFS. AFS put her on over 10 years ago.

Does a prescription overide baptismal and temple interview questions?

Apparently if you have a prescription then you do not have to follow the word of wisdom...? could this be true?

Endowed from on High: Temple Preparation Seminar Teacher’s Manual Lesson 2: We Must Be Worthy to Enter the Temple

Share the following statement by President Boyd K. Packer:

“What you learn spiritually depends, to a degree, on how you treat your body. That is why the Word of Wisdom is so important.

“The habit-forming substances prohibited by that revelation—tea, coffee, liquor, tobacco—interfere with the delicate feelings of spiritual communication, just as other addictive drugs will do.

“Do not ignore the Word of Wisdom, for that may cost you the ‘great treasures of knowledge, even hidden treasures’ promised to those who keep it. And good health is an added blessing” (in Conference Report, Oct. 1994, 78; or Ensign, Nov. 1994, 61).

Am i missing something?

Just my thoughts...

Yes, you are missing something.

We don't blame people out in the world when they can't find the Gospel right? Why should we blame a person when they don't know of any other options in treatment? They seek help and then they get a prescription without finding the exact cause. Unfortunately, that is our current medical paradigm and even as members we are under its power. Well, most of us.

I agree with your disagreement, but we have to be more understanding

conference last fall... Elder packer... Sunday afternoon

1. Depends on the prescription medication... IM NOT SAYING "ALL"

2. If I smoked "medical marijuane" could I get baptied into the church? attain a temple recomend? (Bishops please)

3. If I drank Alchohol could I get baptied into the church? attain a temple recomend? (Bishops please)

4. If I took "speed" baptied into the church? attain a temple recomend? (Bishops please)

5. If I took class III narcotics/hallucigens "Illigally" could I get baptied into the church? attain a temple recomend? (Bishops please)

6. If I took "prescription class III narcotics/hallucigens could I get baptied into the church? attain a temple recomend? (Bishops please)

How does a piece of paper (prescription) keep you from abuseing the med? My personal belief is that these drugs that are being pushed so easily by our medical cummunity and comes at a very high "spiritual" price that we are not yet able to comprehend.

FYI... This is a hot topic for me becouse it cost me my marriage. My ex is currently abusing Prozac.... a full blown addiction... and I cant get help from Bishop or AFS. AFS put her on over 10 years ago.

Does a prescription overide baptismal and temple interview questions?

Apparently if you have a prescription then you do not have to follow the word of wisdom...? could this be true?

That is sad. Sorry to hear.

What is "AFS"?

AFS = Church Adult Family Services

I only adrress a couple of questions in counceling:

1. my concern about addiction?

2. what the plan to get my ex off the meds?

3. what type of behavioral counciling can we expect?

My concerns were not even addressed. I was told to be quiet and ride it out.

Edited by Kreno

Yes, you are missing something.

We don't blame people out in the world when they can't find the Gospel right? Why should we blame a person when they don't know of any other options in treatment? They seek help and then they get a prescription without finding the exact cause. Unfortunately, that is our current medical paradigm and even as members we are under its power. Well, most of us.

I agree with your disagreement, but we have to be more understanding

5 out of 5 smokers agree that smoking calms thier nerves... should we all start smoking?

5 out of 5 Alchohols/Drug addicts confirm "...I cant make it thorugh the day unless I had a drink/hit..."

maybe we should all get a prescription for smoking and drinking so that we can remain calm and not have a nevous twitch. We could present the "prescription" to our Bishop/Stake president so we dont have to obey the word of wisdom? sarcasm intended!!!!

I can see the conversation now... PRESIDENT MONSON, MY DOCTOR SAYS I DONT HAVE TO FOLLOW THE WORD OF WISDOM SINCE I HAVE A PRESCRIPTION, TEMPLE RECOMEND PLEASE..." any takers?

personally and seriously... "I dread the day when I am struck with the lighting bolt of understanding, Its going to hurt"

5 out of 5 smokers agree that smoking calms thier nerves... should we all start smoking?

5 out of 5 Alchohols/Drug addicts confirm "...I cant make it thorugh the day unless I had a drink/hit..."

maybe we should all get a prescription for smoking and drinking so that we can remain calm and not have a nevous twitch. We could present the "prescription" to our Bishop/Stake president so we dont have to obey the word of wisdom? sarcasm intended!!!!

I can see the conversation now... PRESIDENT MONSON, MY DOCTOR SAYS I DONT HAVE TO FOLLOW THE WORD OF WISDOM SINCE I HAVE A PRESCRIPTION, TEMPLE RECOMEND PLEASE..." any takers?

personally and seriously... "I dread the day when I am struck with the lighting bolt of understanding, Its going to hurt"

*sigh*

I feel your frustration and pain, I really do.

All is not well in Zion.

Do you live in a "western" country? I highly doubt a person who can write a prescription would say someone can not become addicted to prescription meds.

If AFS prescribed and has not monitored the medication usage, then file a complaint with the medical license board of your country/state.

-------------

Concerning the WoW, we know of prohibitions and suggestions and we know of wisdom and order. Do some meds contain alcohol, do I take those meds, yep. Are other things "addictive" that are not expressly prohibited by the WoW, yes, and that is where wisdom and order come in.

As for correct use of prescription meds, I can see no reason why God would refuse His spirit to someone doing what they need to do. As for Medical Marijuana and the WoW, in the United States the WoW does not contain a "Supremacy Clause", the WoW refers to "illegal" drugs, medical marijuana is a legal drug in several states, and I think the present statement on the WoW in the CHI is vague enough to not prohibit the use of medical marijuana; whether by smoking or other form of ingestion.

Edited by frankenstein
Do you live in a "western" country?

No need to be insulting... I was in Oregon at the time and now reside in Utah... smarty pants

I highly doubt a person who can write a prescription would say can not become addicted to prescription meds.

news flash... what a person says can be different then what they do...

Doubt all you want... I was there. The medical "practice" is full of false claims. Im not going to argue your denial.

No need to be insulting... I was in Oregon at the time and now reside in Utah... smarty pants

I was not trying to be insulting and no reason to offense. That you live you Utah, it would seems then that you should file a malpractice claim against who ever is not monitoring the drug abuse. This could not be a legal claim as you do not have a legal right, but you can file a complaint with the State Medical Board.

Thanks everyone for the opinions. I am way OK with what's been said and especially the comments about medication and the word of wisdom. I have been diagnosed with severe ADHD. I started my medication yesterday. I've always considered myself a spiritual person, and so far there is no negative effects from the medication on my spiritual side. As far as everyday life, its like putting on glasses when you have really bad vision, I can see everything much more clearly now. So far I'm very impressed with my local doctor. One of the really big personality changes for me is the calming of the critic within. I'm simply not as critical, nor upset, when waiting in line, or when waiting on anything or anybody. Also, solutions to problems are immediate, and not difficult to find.

It explains a lot in my life. My son, who is the family member I wrote about in the OP, spent a week's vacation recently and told me all about his experiences with ADHD. He witnessed one of my ADHD moments and was smart enough to give me some hints and some advice to his old man. That's my boy! He is now my personal advisor to this problem I have.

Its going to be interesting interacting now in a social manner with others. I've always had issues with saying the wrong thing without thinking about it and offending people. So, I've shied away from those situations. Don't get me wrong, if something is planned ahead, like a lesson or a talk, I've always done well. But when winging it, my brain freezes and often say the wrong thing in an effort to just say something.

I was concerned about spirituality with this medication – its basically speed. And, like I said before, I can tell you that I still have that spiritual connection, although its a little different but the answers I need are still there. To be honest, I am able to figure many things out much more clearly before I take them to Heavenly Father. I have also noticed the patterns of truth are much more clear and recognizable which makes doing the right thing much easier. Isnt it wonderful that Heavenly Father recognizes the difference betwen treating an ADHD condition with Methamphetamine, and those that illegally take Methamphetamines for illicit and illegal purposes and is able to continue to provide spiritual guidance to those with ADHD on this medication?

I feel like saying sorry to everyone I have ever offended. And I wonder how many people I simply dismissed that were in their own ADHD moment. My son, who was 5 years old when I was divorced, and is now 18, figured all this out on his own. His mother couldn't deal with it, and sent him to a private school. He had difficulty his entire childhood life (something that I never knew about due to the circumstances of my divorce and the distance between us) until he resolved it with a good doctor just two years ago. This may even explain my lost friendships, and a troubled marriage that ended in divorce along with the loss of many dating relationships since then. And also explains why I simply shy away from these single social single events – something that caused my friends to question me and who I really was. It may even explain the career difficulties I've had with past jobs.

My workplace has given me an open case for FMLA so that my current work will not be affected. I've also found out that my boss has a child with this condition. Perhaps this has been a bit of heavenly intervention and direction to land me in the job I'm in, with a Boss that simply understands the symptoms without judging me or even laying me off.

I now wonder about callings in church. I dont get them on a regular basis although I am worthy in every sence. My Patriarcal blessing tells me I have the talent and ability to teach and to lead others. Its not something that I've experieced much as far as callings. I wonder if that will change now.

My son's ADHD may have played a role in his inactivity in the church in recent years. After all, I too became totally inactive after my divorce. As my son and I both noticed in our own situations, that we simply couldn't understand and problem solve our situations. While I felt the spirit, I didn't have the mental discipline due to ADHD to resolve and move forward. Bishops, who I turned to, were undoubtedly put off by my frustration and anger. I thought they did nothing, but looking back now understand why they did nothing because they didn't want to be around me. I don't blame them one bit. Again, I feel incredibly apologetic to all those that tried to help, but were met with my own ADHD moments. I have a lot of calls to make over the next few months. Eyes open!

Edited by Messenger

Did anybody stop and think that perhaps the reason why doing such substances, medically or otherwise, causes one to lose the Spirit is because it automatically creates a stigma that creates a personal stress that in turn, robs a person of confidence in their standing as church members. Having said that, the only way a member could partake of these substances and be clean before the Lord is if a bishop was willing to concede that some people need some substances, addictive or otherwise, to function properly. If by necessity you need to trangress a law, I would certainly hope that Heavenly Father is still willing to bless you in other ways, and that even though by definition certain blessings might not come, others may still be available. I would say the best advice(take it with a grain of salt mind you) is to prayerfully consider what it is you need to take. Judge whether an alternative might work better, and try to anticipate side effects. If you are already doing what's right,then why should the Spirit leave you? There are some drugs that do alter your brain chemistry that might introduce new problems, such as compulsive gambling or thoughts of suicide. I would think that if it's nessicary to take those medications, then in that case it might be best to have somebody watch over you, like a home teacher.

Even something such as medicinal marijuana I could see as potentially okay as long as you are responsible and you have that spiritual confirmation as well as clearance from your bishop. Again, how we treat those who "suffer" from addictions is perhaps one of the main reason why one loses the Spirit during addiction.

I now wonder about callings in church. I dont get them on a regular basis although I am worthy in every sence. My Patriarcal blessing tells me I have the talent and ability to teach and to lead others. Its not something that I've experieced much as far as callings. I wonder if that will change now.

You do not need a "title" or silly letters before or after your name to teach. I have learned many a good thing from people who haven't the slightest idea that anyone heard or saw what they did.

I am glad you see positive changes in your life. Often it seem people want to say "this is how i am, so you deal with it' - happening in my ward right, a brilliant kid whose mothers says "world you deal with my son is perfect".

Thanks everyone for the opinions. I am way OK with what's been said and especially the comments about medication and the word of wisdom. I have been diagnosed with severe ADHD. I started my medication yesterday. I've always considered myself a spiritual person, and so far there is no negative effects from the medication on my spiritual side. As far as everyday life, its like putting on glasses when you have really bad vision, I can see everything much more clearly now. So far I'm very impressed with my local doctor. One of the really big personality changes for me is the calming of the critic within. I'm simply not as critical, nor upset, when waiting in line, or when waiting on anything or anybody. Also, solutions to problems are immediate, and not difficult to find.

It explains a lot in my life. My son, who is the family member I wrote about in the OP, spent a week's vacation recently and told me all about his experiences with ADHD. He witnessed one of my ADHD moments and was smart enough to give me some hints and some advice to his old man. That's my boy! He is now my personal advisor to this problem I have.

Its going to be interesting interacting now in a social manner with others. I've always had issues with saying the wrong thing without thinking about it and offending people. So, I've shied away from those situations. Don't get me wrong, if something is planned ahead, like a lesson or a talk, I've always done well. But when winging it, my brain freezes and often say the wrong thing in an effort to just say something.

I was concerned about spirituality with this medication – its basically speed. And, like I said before, I can tell you that I still have that spiritual connection, although its a little different but the answers I need are still there. To be honest, I am able to figure many things out much more clearly before I take them to Heavenly Father. I have also noticed the patterns of truth are much more clear and recognizable which makes doing the right thing much easier. Isnt it wonderful that Heavenly Father recognizes the difference betwen treating an ADHD condition with Methamphetamine, and those that illegally take Methamphetamines for illicit and illegal purposes and is able to continue to provide spiritual guidance to those with ADHD on this medication?

I feel like saying sorry to everyone I have ever offended. And I wonder how many people I simply dismissed that were in their own ADHD moment. My son, who was 5 years old when I was divorced, and is now 18, figured all this out on his own. His mother couldn't deal with it, and sent him to a private school. He had difficulty his entire childhood life (something that I never knew about due to the circumstances of my divorce and the distance between us) until he resolved it with a good doctor just two years ago. This may even explain my lost friendships, and a troubled marriage that ended in divorce along with the loss of many dating relationships since then. And also explains why I simply shy away from these single social single events – something that caused my friends to question me and who I really was. It may even explain the career difficulties I've had with past jobs.

My workplace has given me an open case for FMLA so that my current work will not be affected. I've also found out that my boss has a child with this condition. Perhaps this has been a bit of heavenly intervention and direction to land me in the job I'm in, with a Boss that simply understands the symptoms without judging me or even laying me off.

My son's ADHD may have played a role in his inactivity in the church in recent years. After all, I too became totally inactive after my divorce. As my son and I both noticed in our own situations, that we simply couldn't understand and problem solve our situations. While I felt the spirit, I didn't have the mental discipline due to ADHD to resolve and move forward. Bishops, who I turned to, were undoubtedly put off by my frustration and anger. I thought they did nothing, but looking back now understand why they did nothing because they didn't want to be around me. I don't blame them one bit. Again, I feel incredibly apologetic to all those that tried to help, but were met with my own ADHD moments. I have a lot of calls to make over the next few months. Eyes open!

Thanks for sharing your experience and perspective and I am glad to hear you are feeling better.

All the best to you and your family.