Seriously No Politics ×

KEP presentation by Mr. Shryver

Ceeboo

Will you be writing anything formally on teh subject of Will's presentation?

If William publishes his paper, I might consider writing some kind of formal response. Don Bradley and I also co-authored a paper on the production timeline of the KEP several years ago (prior to William's presentation) which I will hopefully get around to revising for publication someday.

To tell the truth, though, I've seriously considered withdrawing from this area of study altogether. It can get pretty brutal and personal sometimes. The KEP are a fascinating puzzle, but solving it may not be worth the grief.

I apologize for my jab, I really didn't feel the "love" from you critical blog.

We all play the role of "critic" sometimes. When it comes to religion, though, I think of myself as more of a skeptic than a critic. My assessment of religion (and the LDS Church) from a pragmatic point of view is generally favorable.

Hello good people,

Mr. Shryver has recently posted (in another thread)a link where I saw, for the first time in total, his presentation on the "Meaning and purpose of the KEP".(Thanks for sharing the link)

I was wondering what the opinions/perspectives/thoughts were (from other devout Mormons) concerning his KEP presentation.

What say you?

BTW, for what it may be worth, it is my opinion that no matter what your personal beliefs happen to be, William deserves a lot of credit for a very well done presentation.

It was super cool, for me anyway, to see him in this light (A brilliant guy with obvious gifts, to be sure)

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Peace,

Ceeboo

This was a good discussion on the matter last year. Dan Vogel joins the discussion at post #463.

By the way, William's FAIR presentation was largely a response to the following paper by myself: “The Dependence of Abraham 1:1–3 on the Egyptian Alphabet and Grammar,” John Whitmer Historical Association Journal 29 (2009): 38–54.

Since Will's paper was directly contradicting my argument, it's only natural that I was interested in the presentation and the ensuing discussions about it. In fact, William encouraged this interest. I was specifically invited by him to attend the conference and hear his paper. He even got me in for free. I was also specifically invited by Kerry Shirts to be in that video. This was all done in a spirit of friendly scholarly exchange. So the idea that I was at the conference stalking Will or desperately crusading against the Lord's Church is simply mistaken.

I was present and confirm that the above is 100% accurate.

Don't you mean Anas, Anas, Anser?

Hey ya volgadon,

Never heard of this "Anas Anas Anser"?

How do you play?

Better yet, let's play.

BTW, I remember that you were engaged a while ago. Did you ever get married? (If so, congrats!)

Peace,

Ceeboo

To tell the truth, though, I've seriously considered withdrawing from this area of study altogether. It can get pretty brutal and personal sometimes. The KEP are a fascinating puzzle, but solving it may not be worth the grief.

In some regards I can understand. Well, I am sure you will keep us posted.

Hey ya volgadon,

Never heard of this "Anas Anas Anser"?

How do you play?

Better yet, let's play.

The scholarly version of duck duck goose. =)

BTW, I remember that you were engaged a while ago. Did you ever get married? (If so, congrats!)

Peace,

Ceeboo

Thank you for the congrats!

If William publishes his paper, I might consider writing some kind of formal response. Don Bradley and I also co-authored a paper on the production timeline of the KEP several years ago (prior to William's presentation) which I will hopefully get around to revising for publication someday.

This would be a loss regardless of how one views the KEP.

Well Chris, I for one hope you stay with it. Your stuff made a difference to my own studies.

My own stuff isn't very well received, and I think I'm probably throwing in the towel myself. I don't see the point of going on with it.

I think the substance of my theory is articulated now on other threads. That is a good enough record. There isn't anything more to say I think.

I don't see the point in publishing or writing anything else about it. If that helps anybody in the future, more power to them.

But I'm just plain tired, and my time has been consumed by studying computer programming stuff because of an unstable work situation.

The wind has been sucked out of my sails. I haven't been posting here much anymore either.

I guess I'll show up to the FAIR conference and say hi to people, but I just don't have time for much of this anymore.

Ed

Archived