Exercise Tips

My sister and I were just talking about how many calories should be burned during 30 minutes of exercise. I'm exercising for 30 minutes 5 days a week and according to Wii Fit, I'm burning 190 calories during that time and sometimes a little more. I don't want to spend more than 30 minutes on it. For you exercise experts out there, what is a good goal during that time? It's been very rainy here and I don't have a gym membership or room for any exercise equipment. When I do aerobics videos, the moves take me all over the room and I run into stuff because our place is so small. Having the Wii Fit has been awesome.

Anyway, any advice would be great. I feel like I'm getting a good workout. My legs felt like jelly after my workout this morning. :D But my sister thinks I should go for 300 calories.

I would stick with the wi-fit if it is working for you. Since you can't really go running or jogging without taking little ones with you, I think it might be your best bet. I wouldn't worry so much about how many calories you are burning. If you care about looking at calories, it would be on the intake side, not the usage side. Exercise is great for your body, but eating right and less is more important unless you are a big fitness person and have to eat to maintain your weight.

Cardio is good, but you should also combine it with strength training. (Toneing and Endurence)

www.bodybuilding.com has some great exercises that ou can do with or without weights in your home. I carry one 35lb dumbell when I travel and use it for various strength training.

Well, I would like to lose weight, but I knocked myself out trying for 6 months and gained 10 pounds, which made me want to give up. I was having a lot of trouble with migraines at the time and the only results I had were dizziness and nausea, so it just wasn't worth it to me. I was also drinking about 2 liters of water per day, so no, it wasn't dehydration. So now I'm telling myself that no matter what, the exercise is good for my heart. I would like to feel stronger, which I do already with some of the balance exercises.

My weight keeps fluctuating. It will go down a couple pounds, then back up, back down, back up, etc. I might be better off not weighing myself because it really annoys me when it doesn't change even though I'm eating well. A doctor put me on some meds years ago. I took it for a few months, it messed me up, and I haven't been the same since then. Going on the pill made things even worse and I will never take it again. Weird thing is - I lose weight like crazy when I'm pregnant without trying. Last pregnancy, my doctor told me, "Stop losing weight!" I told her, "I'm not trying to!" I lost 7 pounds in a week and I thought their scale was broken.

I have gone almost 6 months now without any pop or fast food, plus I'm exercising 3-5 days a week. Still, no significant change. The most important thing to me is to be here for my kids for a long time. I don't feel terrible about myself. I have friends who just feel like they can't be happy until they lose weight, but it's just not that way for me. I'm so grateful just to be alive. I was very sick as a teenager and felt like I was close to death. I'd rather be overweight and alive. :)

Cardio is good, but you should also combine it with strength training. (Toneing and Endurence)

www.bodybuilding.com has some great exercises that ou can do with or without weights in your home. I carry one 35lb dumbell when I travel and use it for various strength training.

Thank you. I will check that out. I have a 2 1/2 year old who I have to carry around kicking and screaming sometimes, so I could use some strengthening. She's freakishly strong.

MS, you might also be able to incorporate your 2.5 yr old into your weight training. There are lots of things you can to for toning that can be played as games with her. For instance: 1) Lay on your back while letting her sit on your feet and lay up/across your shins. You can then move your feet and legs in a variety of ways to strengthen and tone while giving her a ride. Bringing your ankles up and down while keeping the thighs in a vertical position will work your quads. 2) Keeping your shins parallel with the floor while moving your feet out away from your torso and then up towards your bum in as much range of motion as your capable of will work your quads and your abs. 3) Lay on your back and placing your feet on flat on the floor so that your shins are vertical. Let her sit on your belly. TIghten it and then raise your hips off the floor as high as you can. This gets your abs, your rear, and more. Depending on how near/far, narrow/wide, straight/angled you position your feet you can also target in on specific parts of the muscle. Large motions will target different areas that pulsing in small movements at the top of you hip extension. 4) Again, while laying on your back you can do the equivalent of a bench press. 5) hold her while you squat. Vary speed and depth, etc.

Of course all of the activities I mentioned above hit more than one group of muscles. It can be a ton of fun for both of you and very effective. I'm sure once you start playing you'll come up with more movements....I could list a bunch more but you really will be surprised at how much you can do with this type of thing and it is a great bonding time and makes exercise more fun too. I will give one word of caution that it may take a week or three to get into the routine enough that she plays along well and it goes smoothly for as long, and in the manner, as you would like it too but after that it is pretty smooth sailing and she'll be your reminder/motivator too and help keep you 'accountable'

Also, if you want a lot of exercises that you can do with minimal equipment check out CrossFit. Obviously not all of the things that use weights will be doable, but they also have a good variety of moves that don't require weights (burpees anyone?! ;) ) and can be done at home.

Hope this helps.

:D

Hello MS...

One thing I like is the long, small elastic tubes with handles on both ends... these help with resistance, i.e., put your foot in one handle, hold the other in your hand and stretch up and sideways which works the waistline and back etc etc. Helps with firming and toning. Mine came with a whole little booklet of exercises for arms, legs, waist... everything.

I agree about calorie intake... I fight it because at my age my metabolism has slowed down, and I don't burn the number of calories efficiently like I used to. So, reduced portions are necessity if I stand any chance of maintaining a decent weight.

Eating healthy comes naturally for me... no real junk... but I still struggle because of reduced exercise ever since I had my knee replaced last year. But you're young and you can do this... do it now because it gets harder. Find what works for you and stick with it long term.

Good luck...

from the beach on a sunny day that will allow me to wash my car (good exercise)...

GG

On the calorie front there are a number of great apps that you can use to keep track of intake and expenditure. Most have both an online element as well as the app for the phone so even if you don't have a smartphone you should be able to utilize them. Much easier than writing down in a food diary but has the same effect. Mynetdiary.com is good, as is caloriecount.about.com, and many others. Mynetdiary (and I'm sure many others) also make the adjustment of goal calories /day based off of your exercise too. For instance, if your goal is 1000cal/day and you exercise 200 calories, it'll adjust to allow for 1200 total so that you can keep to your goal calories for the day while still accounting for the extra effort and likely (at least for me) hunger that comes from working out.

Don't forget that exercising raises your rate of burning calories for the next 24 hours or so, IIRC. Being consistent and doing it daily is best. If your muscles need more time to heal, then simply vary your routine.

As far as calories burnt during exercise, they are not a large percentage of what we take in overall so if you are looking to decrease your overall calorie count, it is much more effective to do so through eating. Drinking one less can of soda a day (without any other changes) can result in the loss of 15 lbs per year IIRC (been years since I paid attention to the details.).

I would say that the best exercise is the one you are willing to do every day that gets your heartbeat up to an elevated, but not extreme position for a sufficient amount of time. See http://www.mayoclini...rt-rate/SM00083 to calculate it to doublecheck the wii-fit program, though from what I've seen it is a good program, my DIL loves it.

On the days you are not doing your exercise program, I would suggest still trying to do something that keeps the metabolism going at a higher rater even if it is just an extended wrestling match with the kids.

add-on: not sure if the link shows the tool or not as my computer connection is very slow and it shows the page as still loading, but with no 'tool'.

Edited by calmoriah

In my humble opinion (your mileage may vary), I think jumping on and off a scale every five minutes can be one of the most counterproductive things to maintaining a workout. I deliberately don't weigh myself, because I don't want to go through the emotional yo-yoing of, "Hey, I lost three pounds!" "Shoot! I gained two back!" "Hey, I lost two pounds!" "Dang! I gained one back!" And so on. You'll feel better long, long before you start to look better, and I think how you feel is the most important thing.

Vary your workout, but try to do it consistently. (I've never used the Wii-Fit, but if it has different routines, such as one for strength and one for endurance, I would alternate days and do one on MWF and one on TThS). I do strength training with free weights three days a week and cardio the other three. Stretching is important, even if you feel like you can't fully contort your body in the manner required to do it. Personally, I do some light cardio before stretching, because I believe (again, your mileage may vary) that warm muscles stretch better than cold ones. Stretching also pays dividends (in the form of still being able to move ;)) once you're done.

Keep on keeping on, even when you feel like it isn't paying dividends. Choose a companion activity to do while working out that'll keep you motivated. Listening to music is a huge motivator for me; I couldn't work out for five minutes without it. Maybe reading'll do it for you: if so, get a book stand to put in front of your equipment. Or, reward yourself (with something besides food, of course) when you're done, such as with a hot bath, time reading a book you want to read, et cetera. :)

Good luck. :)

Well, I would like to lose weight, but I knocked myself out trying for 6 months and gained 10 pounds, which made me want to give up. I was having a lot of trouble with migraines at the time and the only results I had were dizziness and nausea, so it just wasn't worth it to me. I was also drinking about 2 liters of water per day, so no, it wasn't dehydration. So now I'm telling myself that no matter what, the exercise is good for my heart. I would like to feel stronger, which I do already with some of the balance exercises.

Balance and flexibility are great as they reduce the possibility of injuries.

My weight keeps fluctuating. It will go down a couple pounds, then back up, back down, back up, etc. I might be better off not weighing myself because it really annoys me when it doesn't change even though I'm eating well.

If you do weigh don't do it more then weekly. Weight fluctuates a lot.

A doctor put me on some meds years ago. I took it for a few months, it messed me up, and I haven't been the same since then. Going on the pill made things even worse and I will never take it again. Weird thing is - I lose weight like crazy when I'm pregnant without trying. Last pregnancy, my doctor told me, "Stop losing weight!" I told her, "I'm not trying to!" I lost 7 pounds in a week and I thought their scale was broken.

Ascribe it to your baby hogging all the food......good practice for the next 18 years I guess. :)

I have gone almost 6 months now without any pop or fast food, plus I'm exercising 3-5 days a week. Still, no significant change. The most important thing to me is to be here for my kids for a long time. I don't feel terrible about myself. I have friends who just feel like they can't be happy until they lose weight, but it's just not that way for me. I'm so grateful just to be alive. I was very sick as a teenager and felt like I was close to death. I'd rather be overweight and alive. :)

Good attitude.

One reason weight doesn't change much at the beginning of an exercise program is that you are putting on muscle while losing weight.

If balance and cardio on the Wii fit are working for you then keep it up. I would suggest adding some strength training in. Building muscle doesn't burn as much calories initially but it will raise the base number you burn a day to maintain it. The best strength training isn't what most women call 'toning'. It's weight-lifting the way guys usually do (at lower weights generally). The main resistance to this is most women don't want to look like muscle-bound freaks. The reality is that becoming like that requires eating more protein in a day then most guys eat in a week, rare genetics, and almost certainly steroids.

The women I've known who do weight-lifting for health and even professionally look more like track stars then male professional wrestlers.

Good luck. :)

You guys are awesome! Thank you. :D I'll try to resist the urge to do the Wii body test every day and set a regular time weekly.

You guys are awesome! Thank you. :D I'll try to resist the urge to do the Wii body test every day and set a regular time weekly.

For keeping track of my weight loss or gain, I choose a pair of pants that fit perfectly when just out of the wash. If they start feeling tighter, I know it's time to get serious. If looser, than I start getting excited maybe I'll need to find another pair of pants to use as my measuring stick. I have a scale that measure body fat as well as weight. The first is what I pay attention to.

I have to give one more plug for sparkpeople because i remembered just how great their calorie counter is. Not only does it have most foods, brands, flavors, etc, pre-added so that all you have to do is click on what you've eaten and state the amount, it also takes you through a thing when you first sign up asking for your weight loss goals and what you weigh now (and when you want to reach the goal) and it tells you how many calories you need to be eating each day AND it also tells you how many grams of fat and carbs as well and the counter automatically keeps tract of those too!

It's kind of interesting to see things that you thought were kind of healthy turn out to be disasterous.

Just a thought.

Do exercises that will develop your upper leg and butt muscles. Like squats, lunges, etc. 5 or 10 minutes every other day can go a long way.

These muscle groups are the largest muscles in your body that you can target specifically. They develop quickly and are usually appearance enhancers if you don't over do it.

It may sound odd, that you would want to add muscle poundage to loose weight, but building up muscle is a big plus, when it comes to weight loss.

A pound of body fat, just sits there until needed by your body, but a pound of muscle needs calories to exist. It's a good metabolic booster.

edit add...

I discovered a great exercise for your whole body core is crawling. Not the hands and knees type crawling though.

When we moved into the new place, I had to do some foundation and plumbing repair. The "crawl" space under the house is on average 16 to 20 inches.

For a couple of months, I was traversing fairly short distances under the house 3 to 5 dayse a week. 50 meters on a good day, 150+ on the bad repair days. Over that time frame, I lost 25lbs. and my core, arms, legs, etc.. tightened up to what they were when I was 21 or so.

Put on some old clothes and try crawling around your house without picking up your stomach more than an inch or so from the ground... It's sort of like swimming in full gravity.

Not a lot of fun, but it works.

Edited by Mudcat

It's kind of interesting to see things that you thought were kind of healthy turn out to be disasterous.

One needs to be sensitive to one's own variations of the theme as well. Took me years to figure out that it was not the lack of previous exercise that rendered me sick as a dog after each exercise session, but rather that way I was going about it...I am hypoglycemic so my blood sugar would drop low during exercise and afterwards, so not eating before exercising as used to be recommended was the opposite of what I should have been doing. My daughter is a type 1 diabetic and she also is told to eat a piece of chocolate for its sugar and fat content to prevent her sugars from dropping too low. If you find yourself experiencing any nausea after exercising low blood sugar may be the cause.

And don't ignore pain thinking it's just the body adjusting to a new routine...I had a pinched nerve in my foot I ignored for five years until it got so bad that it started bothering me as soon as I was on my feet, I had thought it was just tired muscles in my feet (I have high arches and weak ankles and problems with my feet in childhood and really should have had special shoes made but couldn't afford them) and that I wasn't doing enough stretching before and after my walks. So be careful and if something starts to hurt beyond a tired ache, then pay attention or at least change the routine to something that doesn't trigger the pain (running doesn't work for me for a number of reasons, but walking does; using a stationary bike, possibly even a horizontal one, when biking is inconvenient or maybe even dangerous if one has balance issues is a good alternative if you like more movement, there are a lot of dance exercises out there if you get bored with too much repetition so you can find one that works for your specific needs).

You guys have so many great tips! Thank you! Mudcat, I'll try the crawling. :D

Put on some old clothes and try crawling around your house without picking up your stomach more than an inch or so from the ground... It's sort of like swimming in full gravity.

Not a lot of fun, but it works.

Like the GI or marine crawl? MS can really crank it up by putting one of her kids on her back while she does it, lol. I might even try it but I think I'll give the carpet a very good vacuum first so I don't waste half the time in sneezing, lol.