Seriously No Politics ×

Why I Won’t Be Seeing the Book of Mormon Musical

Fly Fisherman

Thanks for that. I haven't been bothered by the news of it, but then I can't imagine them making fun of Jews in that way and I wouldn't go see something like that. Maybe I'll make a "funny" musical about Atheists .....

Meanwhile, what of those thousands of remarkable and selfless Mormon missionaries who opted to pay their own expenses during the past seven years to serve in Africa while their peers were focused on careers or getting on with life? They have returned home, bringing with them a connection with the African people that will last a lifetime. Many will keep up their Swahili language or their Igbo dialect. They will keep in their bedrooms the flags of the nations where they served. They will look up every time they hear Africa mentioned on the evening news. Their associations with the people whose lives they touched will become lifetime friendships. And in a hundred ways they will become unofficial ambassadors for the nations they served.

Its been 30 years for me. My flag of Peru hangs in my son's room. My family still laughs at my mission stories. And I do raise my head each time I hear of what goes on in that nation. One reason BYU is such a rare place is that so many of its students are intimately familiar with so many of the worlds cultures and langauges. It is so common amongst us that we sometimes forget that it is relatively unique.

Its been 30 years for me. My flag of Peru hangs in my son's room. My family still laughs at my mission stories. And I do raise my head each time I hear of what goes on in that nation. One reason BYU is such a rare place is that so many of its students are intimately familiar with so many of the worlds cultures and langauges. It is so common amongst us that we sometimes forget that it is relatively unique.

A number of the charitable organizations out there have been started by return missionaries who go back as private individuals to help those they came to love on their missions.

I know a couple or returned missionaries that went back and started businesses too that employ people and help those they met on their missions. In a way, perpetual education funds or economic funds driven by individuals who know and love the people. You won't see that in Southpark's plays either. I don't just mean those of us who were missionaries, but of many different stripes and religions. It's that love of doing more for those who have sacrificed.

Those who write the parodies often see the world through the Angelina Jolie crowd of doing good and gathering babies for their collection, rather than the hard and small bits of good done by thousands who have gone before us, and will go after we are memories.

• 4 weeks later...

Here are excerpts from the song "I Believe" (there is one profanity in this song)

I must be completely devout, I can not have one shred of doubt.

I believe ancient Jews built boats and sailed to American.

I believe God has a plan for all of us ... involves me getting my own planet

I am a Mormon, dang it, a Mormon just believes

I believe that in 1978 God changed his mind about black people

I believe that God is on a planet called Kolob

I believe that Jesus has his own planet as well

I believe that the Garden of Eden was in Jackson County Missouri.

Chorus: I believe, a Mormon just believes,

I haven't been bothered by the news of it, but then I can't imagine them making fun of Jews in that way and I wouldn't go see something like that. Maybe I'll make a "funny" musical about Atheists .....

Having listened to a few of the songs from the NPR website, I can honestly say that I don't care much at all if people want to make fun of me personally, or even of my beliefs, but it pains me beyond words to hear them mock my Father and my Saviour.

Having listened to a few of the songs from the NPR website, I can honestly say that I don't care much at all if people want to make fun of me personally, or even of my beliefs, but it pains me beyond words to hear them mock my Father and my Saviour.

That's why I quit watching South Park.

Thanks for that. I haven't been bothered by the news of it, but then I can't imagine them making fun of Jews in that way and I wouldn't go see something like that. Maybe I'll make a "funny" musical about Atheists .....

Not sure what you mean, but Jews are spoofed and referred too in a derogatory manner much much more than LDS in the Southpark episodes.

MorningStar, on 15 April 2011 - 11:57 AM, said: Thanks for that. I haven't been bothered by the news of it, but then I can't imagine them making fun of Jews in that way and I wouldn't go see something like that. Maybe I'll make a "funny" musical about Atheists .....

frankenstein: Not sure what you mean, but Jews are spoofed and referred too in a derogatory manner much much more than LDS in the Southpark episodes.

Jeff K.: And this makes it all acceptable?

Jeff your comment doesn't really follow (I assume you referring to my comment). who suggested something was acceptable?

Here are excerpts from the song "I Believe" (there is one profanity in this song)

I'd like to make some revisions to this...

Not necessarily true - I can learn line upon line, here a little and there a little. I don't have to have a perfect knowledge, but I have to have faith and do my best, which includes following the living prophet. I believe there are prophets and apostles today, just as there were in Biblical times.

I believe ancient Jews built boats and sailed to America.

I believe in a prophet named Lehi who lived in ancient Jerusalem around 600 BC and journeyed with his family in the wilderness and across the ocean to the new world. I don't usually think of them as being Jews, but I suppose it's possible that they could have been.

I believe God has a plan for all of us called the Plan of Salvation - which enables me to repent and be cleansed from my sins through the Atonement and therefore able to return to live with Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ in the Celestial Kingdom.

I am a Mormon, dang it, and I'm not ashamed of it no matter what some people may say or think.

I believe that in 1978 the prophet of the Church received a revelation enabling black men to receive the Priesthood. I do not understand the reasons why they could not have it before 1978, but I accept it and have moved on. I still have faith.

I've heard the place where God and Christ reside referred to as Kolob, but I do not know much about it...

See above

I believe that the Garden of Eden was could have been in present-day Jackson County Missouri, but I do not know much about it. Definitely on the periphery of my religious belief system.

I belong to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

I know who I am.

I know God’s plan.

I’ll follow him in faith.

I believe in the Savior, Jesus Christ.

I’ll honor his name.

I’ll do what is right;

I’ll follow his light.

His truth I will proclaim.

MorningStar, on 15 April 2011 - 11:57 AM, said: Thanks for that. I haven't been bothered by the news of it, but then I can't imagine them making fun of Jews in that way and I wouldn't go see something like that. Maybe I'll make a "funny" musical about Atheists .....

frankenstein: Not sure what you mean, but Jews are spoofed and referred too in a derogatory manner much much more than LDS in the Southpark episodes.

Jeff K.: And this makes it all acceptable?

Jeff your comment doesn't really follow (I assume you referring to my comment). who suggested something was acceptable?

MorningStar, on 15 April 2011 - 12:57 PM, said:

Not sure what you mean, but Jews are spoofed and referred too in a derogatory manner much much more than LDS in the Southpark episodes.

Meaning just because they make fun of Jews too doesn't make it acceptable and doesn't show any level of fairness either. Your response seemed to be "hey, you aren't the only one" type of rhetoric. Consider that the KKK disliked Catholics, Jews, and African Americans. It doesn't mean their treatment in any sense of the word was fair or acceptable. Whether it is a derogatory focus on one church or belief system or race, or a focus on many. One should never presume fairness or some other acceptable act.

I believe ancient Jews built boats and sailed to American.

I believe that the Garden of Eden was in Jackson County Missouri.

Interesting how taking those quotes of out the context of the song mischaracterizes the intent of the song, in it's entirety...

Here's my transcribed full texts, with the quotes in context, which (in my view, and as someone who's seen the play) presents a different view of the song:

The background (according to my own perception and description, from when I saw the play): Elder Price is a green missionary who has never had cause to question his own testimony, and he’s always believed that God would answer his prayers in exactly the way that he (Elder Price) expects God to. His arrival in Uganda exposed him to horrors of life he never imagined before (including a dictatorial Warlord who kills, rapes, maims, and pillages the village where Elder Price and his companion are serving), which cause him to have serious doubts about what he’s doing, his effectiveness as a missionary, and whether or not Heavenly Father is truly mindful of what’s going in this small village. After a crisis of faith, Elder Price has an epiphany, and resolutely sings the following song, an empowered anthem of self-responsibility, proclaiming his earnest and sincere believe in ALL of Mormonism’s tenants—even those beliefs that might seem strange or radical to non-believers, as he steels his resolve to go confront the evil Warlord as the only individual willing to stand up to the Warlord’s terrorism:

[Elder Price]

Ever since I was a child I tried to be the best

So what happened?

My family and friends all said I was blessed

So what happened?

It was supposed to be all so exciting…

To be teaching of Christ crossed the sea.

But I allowed my faith to be shaken,

Oh, what’s the matter with me?

I’ve always longed to help the needy.

To do the things I never dared…

This was the time for me to step up!

So then why was I so scared…?

A warlord who shoots people in the face!

What’s so scary about that?!

I must trust that my Lord is mightier,

And always has my back!

Now I must be completely devout!

I can’t have one shred of doubt…

I Believe…

That the Lord God created the Universe.

I Believe…

That He sent His only son to die for my sins.

And I Believe…

That ancient Jews built boats and sailed to America.

I am a Mormon!

And a Mormon just Believes!

You cannot just believe part-way.

You HAVE to believe in it all.

My problem was doubting the Lord’s will,

Instead of standing tall.

I can’t allow myself to have any doubt!

It’s time to set my worries free…

Time to show the world what Elder Price is about…

And share the power inside of me!

I Believe…

That God has a plan for all of us.

I Believe…

That plan involves my getting my own planet.

And I Believe…

That the great President of the Church, Thomas Monson, speaks directly to God…

I am a Mormon!

And, Dang It! A Mormon just Believes!

I know that I must go and do

The things my God commands.

I realize now why He sent me here.

If you ask the Lord in faith,

He will always answer you.

Just believe in Him, and have no fear!

[soldier, speaking to African Warlord]: General—we have an intruder--He just walked right into camp!

[Elder Price , singing to the Black Warlord]

I Believe…

That Satan has a hold of you.

I Believe…

That the Lord God has sent me here.

And I Believe…

That in 1978 God changed his mind about black people!

You can be a Mormon!

A Mormon who just believes!

[African Warlord]: What the **** is this?

[Elder Price]:

And now I can feel the excitement.

This is the moment I was born to do.

And I feel so incredible

To be sharing my faith with you!

The scriptures say that if you ask in faith,

If you ask God Himself, you’ll know.

But you must ask Him without any doubt

And let your spirit grow!

I Believe…

That God lives on a planet called Kolob.

I Believe…

That Jesus has his own planet as well.

And I Believe…

That the Garden of Eden was in Jackson County, Missouri!

I believe the Lord will reveal it.

And you’ll know it’s all true—

You’ll just feel it!

You’ll be a Mormon…

And, by gosh! A Mormon just believes!

Oh, I Believe.,..

Believe!!!

Meaning just because they make fun of Jews too doesn't make it acceptable and doesn't show any level of fairness either. Your response seemed to be "hey, you aren't the only one" type of rhetoric. Consider that the KKK disliked Catholics, Jews, and African Americans. It doesn't mean their treatment in any sense of the word was fair or acceptable. Whether it is a derogatory focus on one church or belief system or race, or a focus on many. One should never presume fairness or some other acceptable act.

Considering that some people don't believe that its acceptable for women to show their face in public, your criticism is meaningless.

If you are going to use the word "acceptable" you need to define the standards you are applying.

The play was written to be performed on Broadway, not at a high school theater in Utah County. By the standards of Broadway, the play is most certainly acceptable.

Meaning just because they make fun of Jews too doesn't make it acceptable and doesn't show any level of fairness either. Your response seemed to be "hey, you aren't the only one" type of rhetoric.

yes, my comment was intended to counter the "woe is us the LDS who are forever picked on", my comment was not intended to justified or suggest fairness.

Interesting how taking those quotes of out the context of the song mischaracterizes the intent of the song, in it's entirety...

I posted what I did, because I was interesting in responses to the specific claims that LDS believe.

I found song "Turn it off" to very at the end

Edler Price: "I do not have gay thoughts"

Companion: "See it worked"

Archived