Sealing Power of the Priesthood what does it do?

Biz

What does the sealing power of the Priesthood do? Essentially, if a couple is sealed in the temple, they are promised an eternal increase according to DC 132. These teachings lead LDS followers including myself to believe families will be together forever. But when it all comes down to it the relationships of Father/Mother, Son/Daughter, Brother/Sister are irrelevant and will not exist in the next life. The only significant relationship would be Husband/Wife. Are we then just “Close Associates” who have through the “sealing power” been given permission to associate with one another the next life?

Biz

What does the sealing power of the Priesthood do? Essentially, if a couple is sealed in the temple, they are promised an eternal increase according to DC 132. These teachings lead LDS followers including myself to believe families will be together forever. But when it all comes down to it the relationships of Father/Mother, Son/Daughter, Brother/Sister are irrelevant and will not exist in the next life. The only significant relationship would be Husband/Wife. Are we then just “Close Associates” who have through the “sealing power” been given permission to associate with one another the next life?

Biz

Not “just.” All will be children of the Father and Christ, and this is the most significant relationship: “And all those who are begotten through me are partakers of the glory of the same, and are the church of the Firstborn (D&C 93:22).” Also, “And that same sociality which exists among us here will exist among us there, only it will be coupled with eternal glory, which glory we do not now enjoy (D&C 130:2)." Being one with the Father and with each other makes all the relationships of equal significance but not of identical function.

Biz

This is a question I've had for a long time as well. The bigger question for me is this: What happens to families that are not sealed? I can't imagine God would physically separate all families that have not been sealed to each other. So I presume that sealing means something much more than simply being together. Maybe families who are sealed to each other will have unique blessings and privileges.

The sealing power does more than just unite families forever. It allows all Priesthood blessings to be sealed upon us by the Holy Spirit of Promise. It allows those authorized to bind the heavens and loose them. This is both in Spiritual matters and Physical matters.

I don't think we as a people understand the power really provided by the Sealing keys.

This is a question I've had for a long time as well. The bigger question for me is this: What happens to families that are not sealed? I can't imagine God would physically separate all families that have not been sealed to each other. So I presume that sealing means something much more than simply being together. Maybe families who are sealed to each other will have unique blessings and privileges.

I think that being sealed does grant one unique blessings and privileges. They can go places and do things they others cannot. Those who are sealed can therefore go and do with each other 100% of the time, while those who are not sealed can only go so far and do so much with those who are sealed.

I think it gets even more interesting when you start bringing in new polygamist sealings into the mix. Imagine for example that your father starts taking on new wives and those new wives have existing children from previous marriages. Are the children of the polygamist wives sealed to you as siblings through your sealing to your father? Do they show up at Sunday dinner in the celestial kingdom with the rest of your family? What about the biological father of those kids that didn't make it into the celestial kingdom? Is the telestial kingdom just going to be full of men who liked to watch sports on Sunday who aren't sealed for eternity to their wife and kids?

Phaedrus

My question is isn't binding families for eternity just the beginning of binding all exalted together eternally?

Our charge is to bind all the children of Adam generationally, parent-to-child, back to Adam. So we are all sealed into the family of Adam from that perspective. Those who become exalted retain this sealing into and throughout eternity and can use their sealing for exalted purposes. We can access the talents (in the broadest sense of the word) of others who are also sealed, including those who are exalted, and continue to bless each other.

Our charge is to bind all the children of Adam generationally, parent-to-child, back to Adam. So we are all sealed into the family of Adam from that perspective. Those who become exalted retain this sealing into and throughout eternity and can use their sealing for exalted purposes. We can access the talents (in the broadest sense of the word) of others who are also sealed, including those who are exalted, and continue to bless each other.

Right. So in some weird sense the reations talking in the OP, while not existing as they may now, will be similar to the relations among all those exalted.

Right. So in some weird sense the reations talking in the OP, while not existing as they may now, will be similar to the relations among all those exalted.

I'm sorry, I don't understand what this means. Would you please re-phrase? Thank you.

I think that they way that we are currently accustomed to operating in a nuclear family, with only a few members of a few living generations to relate to at most, will be expanded and we will have to learn to relate to many more of each other as immortal beings. Maybe we already know how to do that and are only blocked by the veil or forgetfulness. But the same sociality will exist, so I don't think what we have on earth need to feel too foreign to what we had before or what we will have in teh hereafter. I guess we need to know what is meant by "sociality" -- perhaps it is the personalities, affections, talents, covenants, etc. enjoyed within the highest order of the priesthood.

I think it will be similar to the way it is here.

When you are young, your siblings are very important to you.

Think of your grandparents- how often do they see their siblings? And yet when they do, it is an occasion of joy, memories, and shared love and experiences. Even in this life what becomes important are your kids and grandkids, and less and less one's siblings.

But in the Patriarchal Order parents and children are another matter.

I think it will be similar to the way it is here.

When you are young, your siblings are very important to you.

Think of your grandparents- how often do they see their siblings? And yet when they do, it is an occasion of joy, memories, and shared love and experiences. Even in this life what becomes important are your kids and grandkids, and less and less one's siblings.

But in the Patriarchal Order parents and children are another matter.

A good reason to become as a child --

I think we'll have special relationships with those to whom we are sealed via the atonement. Otherwise, our differences and seeing as we'd be strangers, we would have no special relationship with our ancestors. I think sealing is about creating a sense of connection that can't be broken from human imperfections. It comes down to simply perfecting humans, having them accept the doctrines of Christ and uniting them through a Savior, which basically means we're sealed. Add to that our earthly familial ties, and we're an Eternal family.

I appreciated all of the comments thus far on the thread. Perhaps the most significant "isolated" blessings that only come through the sealing power of the priesthood would be these, D&C 132:19 "and by the new and everlasting covenant, and it is sealed unto them by the Holy Spirit of promise, by him who is anointed, unto whom I have appointed this power and the keys of this priesthood; and it shall be said unto them—Ye shall come forth in the first resurrection; and if it be after the first resurrection, in the next resurrection; and shall inherit thrones, kingdoms, principalities, and powers, dominions, all heights and depths."

Would it be safe to say that the only way a individual may come forth in the morning of the first resurrection would be through the sealing power of the priesthood?

Biz

Archived