I am offended?

Paddy

I lurk on many boards and blogs more than I post, but I have made an observation that I cannot work out. I hoping others might enlighten me..!!

A common theme that comes up on some boards and blogs is the idea of being offended. Often the person explains how they have left the church because they have simply learned the truth about Mormonism but they have not been offended. However they then go on a tirade about how they have learned about the BoA or polygamy/polyandry or MMM, etc.

The irony to me is that they have learned things that have offended there sensibilities or morals or faith or whatever. They are often very clear that they have not been offended and often state that they are offended but the accusation of being offended…!!!

So my questions are: is there a definition of what being offended is in the Mormon culture? Does being “offended” mean only being offended by someone’s insensitive comment towards them or being neglected or ignored, etc. Can you learn the “truth” about Mormonism and not be offended and still leave the church?

Thanks

Paddy

If I suggested that you may be projecting into their explanations an emotion they did not feel would it offend you?

I have though about that as well, however clearly there is an emotion that these people feel, they often refer to anger, but stripping back the anger or other emotions is still comes down to the idea that they were offended by what they learned which then brought on other emotions. it is that idea that i am wanting to explore a little. I am not making an accusation, just trying to understand.

If it is not offence then what is it...??

Thanks

Paddy

I think it's reasonable to state that people can be offended by "information", if they have been taught something quite different by a church (doesn't have to be the LDS Church...any church or organization). I think we all get offended when we think our gov't has not spoken the truth, to us, or perpetuated a coverup. That's how many ex-LDS feel (warranted or not, that's what they believe has happened). That's different from being personally offended by someone in the church.

I have though about that as well, however clearly there is an emotion that these people feel, they often refer to anger, but stripping back the anger or other emotions is still comes down to the idea that they were offended by what they learned which then brought on other emotions. it is that idea that i am wanting to explore a little. I am not making an accusation, just trying to understand.

If it is not offence then what is it...??

Thanks

Paddy

In high school I learned about how Betsy Ross made the first flag, Christopher Columbus discovered America, how we 'settled' the Americas and celebrated the first Thanksgiving with our Indian brothers, manifest destiny was a good thing and all those little military incursions into foreign countries were for their own good. The list of whitewashed history we are taught in high school is extensive. As an adult I began to discover that many things I learned in high school were not quite the full story. I think what I felt or feel when I discover something is different than what I was taught is more akin to surprise, immediately followed by the desire to find out why it was taught that way.

Frankly the main issue may be you are reading discussion boards and blogs. Anyone who takes the time to explain why he or she left on such a board or blog probably has a bit of an axe to grind anyways. For the most part, as with joining the church, those that leave it probably do not take the time to publically explain why.

As someone who left for doctrinal reasons (but still knows the Book of Mormon is the word of God), I can say I wasn't offended by the information I found. I just found it offered more insight then I held previously, and I acted accordingly.

As someone who left for doctrinal reasons (but still knows the Book of Mormon is the word of God), I can say I wasn't offended by the information I found. I just found it offered more insight then I held previously, and I acted accordingly.

Yeah, I'd say you weren't someone who got offended, you generally tend to be a rather agreeable guy =).

Archived